Mark Stone signs for $7.35 for 1 year

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We're a 9-18 draft position playoff bubble team with our roster if....

-Karl isn't traded, plays the full season healthy

-Boucher plays the young guys, namely Chabot, and we get lucky with 3+ new forwards making an impact on our NHL roster. (which isn't outlandish considering our farm system, by impact I mean top 9 or better role). His system also needs to be addressed, if the team cannot consistently execute it, which seemingly lead to numerous breakdowns last year, it should be altered.

-We get something close to the Duchene we saw close out the season

-We need one of our defenders to step up as a number 4 guy to play with Karl, Chabot, Ceci (Jaros?)

-Andy needs to find consistency. He still had a large sample of games in 2018 where he player at a very high level (920+ SVP), but he was incredibly inconsistent with lots of bad games and poor goals.
Yes I agree, we are a playoff bubble team if everything works out the best like the above. I would not bet on everything working out so well st the same time.

Here's hoping.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

-Boucher plays the young guys, namely Chabot, and we get lucky with 3+ new forwards making an impact on our NHL roster. (which isn't outlandish considering our farm system, by impact I mean top 9 or better role). His system also needs to be addressed, if the team cannot consistently execute it, which seemingly lead to numerous breakdowns last year, it should be altered.

-We need one of our defenders to step up as a number 4 guy to play with Karl, Chabot, Ceci (Jaros?)

-Andy needs to find consistency. He still had a large sample of games in 2018 where he player at a very high level (920+ SVP), but he was incredibly inconsistent with lots of bad games and poor goals.

Lots of ifs. Not hard to predict us being below 18

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

ya I see much the same. we need health, a return to form in the goalie department and to hit on some prospects and i think we'll be in the race....and playing exciting hockey hockey to boot with hopefully 40 minutes a night of elite PMD supplied by Chabot and EK on opposite pairs.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The sure fire stars are acquired with top 5 picks (which is what I believe ours will be, hence the mistake, especially looking at the top end of 2019 draft). Teams acquiring our stars will be giving picks in the 20-31 range, where you get guys like JBD. Nobody is going to be acquiring these guys as rentals midway through the season without playoffs being a certainty, and no teams not making the playoffs are going to give up unprotected lottery picks.

IMO it was a mistake to evaluate the team as being close which Dorion would have had to have thought to give up so much for Duchene.. I really like him as a player but our D was awful especially with Karlson clearly on the mend and our goal tending was shaky.. Our forwards still missed a top 6 winger .. Duchene upgraded Turris but not by nearly enough to push us closer to contender status. IMO we would be in better shape if we moved Turris at the deadline... He would have returned at least what Brassard did imo.. Brassard had an extra year but Turris is the better player.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
that's a very interesting choice of words

the way I see it we are up against a financial wall that is too steep with a 500m building on the horizon and no public money involved.

we've got heavy rumours of an equity injection

we've got stars needing contracts with bonus money lockout protection that the equity injection hopefully addresses. we've got the same 3 stars REPEATEDLY stating they want to be here.

we've got a crop of youngsters that looks pretty promising and a board full of critics that just last year were crying to play the kids

it'd be great to have Toronto money....but that would mean I was a leaf fan and likely worse living in Toronto

I'll hold out hope that the equity injection solves most of what is ailing the team

and in the interim we can both see what we want to see I guess

Which is extremely disappointing as a fan. Pretty much the definition of disappointing.

Of course, a big equity injection is direly needed. When/if we get that, we will then need to sign our guys. I've been following the league long enough to not take a player saying they want to be here (Tavares as a recent example) at face value. I'm definitely hoping, that would be huge for the team. I'd say it's more likely we get 2/3 signed than 3/3, but that's pure conjecture rather than me stating fact.

Sure, when you leave your 2nd/3rd best D off the roster because he is 20, you have problems behind the bench for sure (especially considering your #1 D wasn't playing th first 2 weeks. Brain-dead decision.). Being upset at that was logical. Chabot should have been played from the get go last year, and it was very obvious. He was the only guy I was actually upset about. Signing Thompson and having Burrows taking up 4.2 million of money that the team could have used more appropriately instead of 2 guys making league minimum who would have provided the same was also a management mistake. We aren't doing that this year, as we cut all costs and signed nobody.

This year, I don't see anyone like Chabot who I feel should 100% start in the NHL, maybe White. I wouldn't fault management/coaches for any of the youngsters being left off. Batherson/Chlapik/Brown/Tkachuk should all be in the AHL (or London) IMO, but I'm sure at least 1 of them will be in the NHL, which is fine. Formenton shouldn't be an option, back to London. Wolanin and Jaros, 1 of these guys may/should be in the 6/7 slot.

Equity is a huge part of what has gone wrong with the team. Once that is fixed, we still need to fix everything else that has gone wrong, with money playing a large part in those troubles.

I see this equity injection, and it's exciting. After this happens, the team is still in rough shape, money isn't the only thing wrong with this team at the moment, though it is the cause of most of it.

Last edited:

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
IMO it was a mistake to evaluate the team as being close which Dorion would have had to have thought to give up so much for Duchene

I've no doubt Dorion was being influenced by EM on this as well. Especially after the Turris contract negotiations "didn't go well", and all of the fallout afterwards (Turris throwing shade at ownership etc.)

IMO trading for Duchene at that moment in a vacuum was fine, but when you consider how important Turris was to the dressing room, and that we gave up way too much to get Duchene, it ended up being a very, very poor decision.

It's just an example of how poor the management team is from owner to GM. Owner micromanaging and GM unwilling to push back. It's extremely toxic and unproductive working conditions that are detrimental to any company.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Which is extremely disappointing as a fan. Pretty much the definition of disappointing.

Of course, a big equity injection is direly needed. When/if we get that, we will then need to sign our guys. I've been following the league long enough to not take a player saying they want to be here (Tavares as a recent example) at face value. I'm definitely hoping, that would be huge for the team. I'd say it's more likely we get 2/3 signed than 3/3, but that's pure conjecture rather than me stating fact.

Sure, when you leave your 2nd/3rd best D off the roster because he is 20, you have problems behind the bench for sure (especially considering your #1 D wasn't playing th first 2 weeks. Brain-dead decision.). Being upset at that was logical. Chabot should have been played from the get go last year, and it was very obvious. He was the only guy I was actually upset about. Signing Thompson and having Burrows taking up 4.2 million of money that the team could have used more appropriately instead of 2 guys making league minimum who would have provided the same was also a management mistake. We aren't doing that this year, as we cut all costs and signed nobody.

This year, I don't see anyone like Chabot who I feel should 100% start in the NHL, maybe White. I wouldn't fault management/coaches for any of the youngsters being left off. Batherson/Chlapik/Brown/Tkachuk should all be in the AHL (or London) IMO, but I'm sure at least 1 of them will be in the NHL, which is fine. Formenton shouldn't be an option, back to London. Wolanin and Jaros, 1 of these guys may/should be in the 6/7 slot.

Equity is a huge part of what has gone wrong with the team. Once that is fixed, we still need to fix everything else that has gone wrong, with money playing a large part in those troubles.

I can be (and am) disappointed with some decisions along the way but the financial issue doesn't disappoint me at all. This is a small market that is currently plagued with financial issues....pretty much like all small market teams in the NHL and MLB for that matter. I'm not disappointed, it's a reality of living in Ottawa. The NFL and the NBA solved this thru massive tv contracts but we're not likely to see that in hockey

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I can be (and am) disappointed with some decisions along the way but the financial issue doesn't disappoint me at all. This is a small market that is currently plagued with financial issues....pretty much like all small market teams in the NHL and MLB for that matter. I'm not disappointed, it's a reality of living in Ottawa. The NFL and the NBA solved this thru massive tv contracts but we're not likely to see that in hockey
100%. I am disappointed at the direction of the team in general, the money issue just makes it that much worse. Not much I'm happy or positive about with the team at the moment, and I don't see it getting any better in the near future. I have confidence in my views, obviously, but that doesn't mean they're right.

It's obviously how I, personally, view things, and shouldn't have painted everyone with the same brush. People obviously see and think different things.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
100%. I am disappointed at the direction of the team in general, the money issue just makes it that much worse. Not much I'm happy or positive about with the team at the moment, and I don't see it getting any better in the near future. I have confidence in my views, obviously, but that doesn't mean they're right.

It's obviously how I, personally, view things, and shouldn't have painted everyone with the same brush. People obviously see and think different things.

I see the money issue as the cause for the direction problems and I hope it gets solved....the money that is

look at EK. many here were crying that we'd make him a low ball offer. that we'd insult him. that didn't happen. the hold up seems to be bonus money. so that's a positive imo.

same with stone. he signed. no arbitration so no bitter feelings. he's expressed what I think is a sincere interest in being part of the solution and called out guys last season for not playing properly (imo some of that was directed at hoffman). that's leadership. so while not ideal his wanting to be here and getting a 1 year deal to still be here is at this point a positive.

same with Duchene. look at that media situation last week. if he didn't care he wouldn't have approached that fan.

we need that equity injection and fingers crossed we get it.

it's not ideal but you can't get blood from a stone and Melnyk imo needs the injection.

hopefully it all works out. with those 3 signed I think we'll be in good shape

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'll have to wait and see what happens with what they're going to do with EK, Stone and Duchene before making statements or predictions. If those are 3 pieces they are going to build around, I'm confident in the future of the team with the plethora of young talent coming up (Chabot, White, Brown, Tkachuk, Batherson, etc). If they're moving the big 3, then the returns would have to be very very structuring. Dorion didn't inspire me confidence with some of his trades and signings, but how he sold Brassard and Lazar gives me some hope. But of course, I would much rather that they keep the 3 guys and build a competitive team as I think it really wouldn't take long. Hopefully, the ownership situation improves fast.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread regarding NHL team revenue.

- If one is losing money every year then they are probably all losing money every year and its a league issue.
- If one is losing money every year and the rest are doing fine, on the same revenue (see link below), then it's a management/ownership issue, not a market issue.

The Business Of Hockey

We are a small market in terms of Population but because fans in Ottawa spend 3x-4x more per capita on hockey than most other US markets Ottawa is actually more of a mid-market team. What I don't understand is why money is an issue in Ottawa when many other teams bring in relatively the same amount of revenue.

I honestly don't see an injection of cash resolving anything because the leadership at the top is still the same. Is new money going to convince EM that he needs to re-hire Alfie to be a president of Hockey Ops so that someone is putting in place the missing structure that Oduya said was missing in Ottawa compared to all the other teams he's played for?

Reactions: Sensung

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Haven't been to impressed with his presence this season, he doesn't seem to be as active in the neutral zone and he looks slow out there. Stone seems to be fighting the puck a lot, his soft hands aren't there yet this season and so many pucks seems to bobble and squirt off his stick.

Have my doubts if I want to see him signed long term, he already looks slow and today is as fast as he'll ever be.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Love Stone but .78 points per game is just not enough for him
Need him more then anybody else
Leader of this team
Gotta be better

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Yeah, nothing embarrassing about our owner. Nothing embarrassing over the fact we are likely trading our franchise player. Nothing embarrassing over the fact Hoffman’s fiancée was allegedly harassing the Karlsson’s online. Nothing embarrassing over the fact we have the smallest scouting staff in the league. Nothing embarrassing about our GM and every time he speaks.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Jesus ****ing Christ.

Well then be more friggin specific. YES the organization has done some embarrassing things but the team hasn't. Frankly the team has performed well considering all the injuries and changes and drama. And they have handled all the "embarrassment" better than many of the fans!

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Well then be more friggin specific. YES the organization has done some embarrassing things but the team hasn't. Frankly the team has performed well considering all the injuries and changes and drama. And they have handled all the "embarrassment" better than many of the fans!
You do realize you're responding to posts from late August, right?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
The team has been absolutely bundled on several occasions and it’s evident there is no answer to face high star power teams.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The team has been absolutely bundled on several occasions and it’s evident there is no answer to face high star power teams.

In all fairness to them, no team has shown an answer to the Avs or Bruins top lines. They are the best two top lines in the league. It really isn't a knock that they scored on us, essentially each line won the games for their teams against us.

Remember, we used to do that to the league when we had the Pizza line, no one had an answer.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Stone was a big disappointment last night. Strangely inconsistent this year

He may not be slowing down, but with the Senators joining a number of other teams now using speed as a major part of their gaming plan, he is looking slower, and that presents him, and the team, with a challenge.

Stone used to be the guy driving on the Highway doing 95 kph, when everyone else was doing 105 kph ...... he's still at 95 kph, but everyone else is doing 115 kph, and he is struggling to keep up.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He may not be slowing down, but with the Senators joining a number of other teams now using speed as a major part of their gaming plan, he is looking slower, and that presents him, and the team, with a challenge.

Stone used to be the guy driving on the Highway doing 95 kph, when everyone else was doing 105 kph ...... he's still at 95 kph, but everyone else is doing 115 kph, and he is struggling to keep up.

This is a fantastic analogy, thank you for sharing it and your opinions on this forum.
It also presents the Senators with an interesting window to move on from Stone, if needed. A team on the verge of a deep playoff push will give assets for this, even a first rounder perhaps if Stone could agree (in principle) to sign with them down the road.
It would be disheartening as a fan, but c'est la vie...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I am more concerned about his mental side of his game more than his foot speed. Terrible reads and decision making are unusual from him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This is why we signed him to a 1 year deal, it’s a ‘se how she goes’ situation.

He’s going to have to get things going if he wants a big money long term deal. This is a rebuilding squad so if he stop being more valuable as an on ice asset than he is a tradable asset, it only makes sense at that point to trade him.

There is still lots of time to get things going, and getting BT back will b helpful for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->