Mark Stone signs for $7.35 for 1 year

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The timeline is clear.

Start with Dorion going to Barbados and coming back with a 3 year deal of blood money for axing EK and work your way from there.

At every step along the path our GM lied through his teeth.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
To be fair, you don't need the entire timeline to know the Sens management weren't dealing in good faith. There was no (full) NTC in the deal, that alone is reason enough to put a good chunk of the blame on the front office.

From what I understand, there was one initial offer made and no counter and no further discussions. You can't call it a contract negotiation if you just give them every single thing they're looking for right off the bat. Good for Karlsson for sticking up for what he thinks he's worth and good for the Sens for identifying organizational priorities with regard to major contracts. Maybe the Senators don't believe a player should have term, dollars, trade clauses and enormous signing bonuses all in one contract? I obviously don't know what their beliefs are but maybe they've been burned by many seemingly "easy" extensions that came back to haunt them within a couple of years.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Hey Senapreds alliance members..

IF Stone does not wish to sign an extension in Ottawa, but IS willing to sign with Nashville, what would be a fair trade?

Fiala, Fabbro and a 1st get the ball rolling?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

IF Stone does not wish to sign an extension in Ottawa, but IS willing to sign with Nashville, what would be a fair trade?

That would be a heck of a return and a good deal to make for a rebuilding Ottawa. Stone is an elite player and should fetch a good return at the deadline but I’m not expecting that big of a return. I don’t see Nashville adding Fiala in the deal.
Although I suppose if it’s a sign and trade, which are quite rare, that would be fair value.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Its kinda gotta be all or nothing you re sign both of them or you go scorched earth and trade them both. This is either a 2 year rebuild/retool or its a 5 year overhaul. Cant half ass it either way.

I agree, but it should be considered that if either are foolish enough to sign without a full no trade clause, we instantly up their value in a trade, even if it means waiting a year or two.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Oh man Stone would be a perfect fit in Nashville.

Fabbro might be a non-starter for Ottawa. He could easily go back to college for an extra year and become a UFA. Not necessarily a worry for attractive markets, but definitely a worry for us.

Frankly I'd be happy with Fiala + 1st straight up given how low my expectations are for Dorion.

Reactions: Jonesey

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The timeline is clear.

Start with Dorion going to Barbados and coming back with a 3 year deal of blood money for axing EK and work your way from there.

At every step along the path our GM lied through his teeth.

Put yourself in the GM's shoes who is in his dream job of a lifetime & what would you do knowing you might never get the opportunity again to be an NHL GM? Would you do as the owner wants & get a three yr extension or would you not & resign or let him fire you. Every GM does what their owner wants or resigns, I think it's that simple, especially with this guy. And if the owner did tell him to trade EK, which is probably the case, would you come back & make that public or would you try to do it behind the scenes? And how tough is PD's job with that dickhead as his owner? Why would PD sacrifice his dream job for EK when someone else would just come in & trade him anyway & do what the owner wants? What would you do?

I'm not a fan of PD at all but what exactly do you propose he should have done? Players come & go all the time but there are only 31 NHL GM jobs in the world, what would you do? Oh, btw the team belongs to the owner not the GM, he just manages it for the owner, the GM takes their marching orders from the owner, not the other way around. IMO PD does not have the cache that BM had & either does what he is told or he looks for a new job which more than likely would be back scouting somewhere & will probably never be a GM again if & when he leaves here.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Put yourself in the GM's shoes who is in his dream job of a lifetime & what would you do knowing you might never get the opportunity again to be an NHL GM? Would you do as the owner wants & get a three yr extension or would you not & resign or let him fire you. Every GM does what their owner wants or resigns, I think it's that simple, especially with this guy. And if the owner did tell him to trade EK, which is probably the case, would you come back & make that public or would you try to do it behind the scenes? And how tough is PD's job with that ******** as his owner? Why would PD sacrifice his dream job for EK when someone else would just come in & trade him anyway & do what the owner wants? What would you do?

I'm not a fan of PD at all but what exactly do you propose he should have done? Players come & go all the time but there are only 31 NHL GM jobs in the world, what would you do? Oh, btw the team belongs to the owner not the GM, he just manages it for the owner, the GM takes their marching orders from the owner, not the other way around. IMO PD does not have the cache that BM had & either does what he is told or he looks for a new job which more than likely would be back scouting somewhere & will probably never be a GM again if & when he leaves here.

Yeah, you can't fault anyone for accepting their dream job.

It's not like Dorion had millions in the bank as a head scout, and could turn down the opportunity.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Probably not offensively...but for 2/3 of the ice he'd be a better player.

I'm actually surprised at how well Stone gets around the ice...at times it seems like if he's near another player, there's no way the puck is getting around him.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It is nice to see his old self again. Not always useful i guess judging vets on the 1st 10 games or so of the season. For years we always had alfie as taking on the left overs to form a 2nd line until the pizza line. Hopefully Stone lasts as long until that kind of line
happens for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->