Mark Stone signs for $7.35 for 1 year

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Last Season his AAV was 3.5 M, and that's where negotiations began.

His AAV is now 7.35, and that's where negotiations will begin, if they have not already.

What he was making in 17/18 had no impact on what he was going to make on a long-term deal, and him making more in 18/19 does not mean he can ask for more. There is no cap or limit on the percentage a salary can increase from year to year.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

His AAV is now 7.35, and that's where negotiations will begin, if they have not already.

He can choose to sign an acceptable 8 year extension in January, and the Risk of injury, and lowered bargaining power is gone.

If he waits until July, he risks injury, and the lowering of his bargaining power for the remainder of the season.

The risk of injury is likely outweighed by having the ability to have teams negotiate against each other come July 1st and increasing his AAV or obtaining a more favorable contract structure (bonus money).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yep we are going to have to overpay to keep our talent ...And its all on EM ,the words "player discount and budget "

Arent ones that will ever be available to him ,as he has worn the hell out of them

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Stone will be on the radar of any competitive team. You move salary for a guy like that.
I'm saying this relative to our situation and implying that we lack the financial flexibility to get something like that done.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Wrong.

They begin based on comparables around the league.

Tnuoc Alucard said:

This is where they realistically began last year.

Tnuoc Alucard said:
He can choose to sign an acceptable 8 year extension in January, and the Risk of injury, and lowered bargaining power is gone.

If he waits until July, he risks injury, and the lowering of his bargaining power for the remainder of the season.

The extra year means nothing for such a long contract.

A more accommodating tax regime over the course of seven years could easily make up the difference and he could sign a one-year after that or more if he’s interested in still playing.

And if the risk of injury were a concern, he’d already be signed. Why would he suddenly be more worried about injury when he’s conceivably made it halfway through the season?

Why not play out the last few months at that point?

I just don’t see any incentive for Mark Stone to sign in January.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm saying this relative to our situation and implying that we lack the financial flexibility to get something like that done.
Yep,we cant sign a proper coach...let alone add to Stone and Duchene should we sign them....We are not committed to winning,we are committed to keeping EM afloat....

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Yeah, and I think that there are teams out there that will ship assets out to bring a guy like Stone in.

We can't just look at the rosters now to determine where he would be a good fit. I'll bet a lot of teams would pull strings to make him fit.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah, and I think that there are teams out there that will ship assets out to bring a guy like Stone in.

We can't just look at the rosters now to determine where he would be a good fit. I'll bet a lot of teams would pull strings to make him fit.
Yep,winning teams do this all the time...Here we do the complete opposite lol

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Exactly. Most people would look at cap situations today, but teams will make room for a player like Stone.

A lot of people would discount Nashville, for example, but would they make Subban available for trade and go after Stone? They'd still be left with Josi, Ekholm, Ellis with Fabbro coming up.

Or can Pittsburgh find takers for Maata + Rust to give them the flexibility they need? Think of Crosby-Stone and Malkin-Kessel as your top duos.

The combination of skill + character will make Stone very attractive to top teams. He won't just be limited to places like Dallas and Vegas.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
An equity injection wont solve the problem. Melnyk needs to be gone and upper management needs to be replaced before there is a culture change.

Lol...

If EM were to be able to convince someone else to come on board to inject cash into the franchise, and guys like you still boycott the team, there would absolutely zero argument the NHL could make to keep the team in a city that clearly doesn't desire an NHL franchise.

Fans don't get to pick the owners, it is what it it, you only get to decide to attend games or not. If EM makes a big move to solve the financial issue surrounding the team by adding an owner to the mix, and the fans still don't come out, it will be time to dust out your old Habs or Leafs jerseys.

This is why your version of 'boycotting' is such a joke. Guys like you don't care about the team or the franchise, the end game isn't a more stable franchise and a competitive team on the ice, no matter how that happens, you care only about your petty one-side vengeance crusade, and it has your wrapped up in a little hate pretzel because the focus of your hate doesn't know or care about you.

And why would he? A solid product on the ice will bring fans back, a new arena will bring new fans out, a new ownership partner would show a commitment to spending on the team, which would bring many boycotting fans back.

I can respect boycotting from most fans, but not your group, you guys want EM to hurt more than you want the team the heal, and there is nothing about being a sports team fan in that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Why don't you take a seat at the kid's table in Victoria and let the grown ups in Ottawa take care of the adult matters like Eugene?

I regularly take time to sit with my kids in Victoria, it's good for the soul.

you; Grown ups.... lol

you; Take care of.... lol

I suppose that you guys have each other to hold for support, so that's good.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
An equity injection wont solve the problem. Melnyk needs to be gone and upper management needs to be replaced before there is a culture change.
Geez Bert....I know you have a bee in your bonnet about my posts lately but you're digging up a post from August to quote? Getting creepy...

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I would be shock if both are re-signed, Stone has to be re-signed, i like everything about him, Duchene i can accept not keeping, even tho we paid a very stiff price for him but Stone has to be the priority. hi is our next captain.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If it really is a rebuild, you move both of them. No brainer.

Stone and Duchene putting together some strong game is great for us, as it boosts their trade value (assuming derpy derp can pull off a good deal for once).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
8x9M for Stone
8x8M for Duchene

Get it done

I dunno id rather trade Duchene than give him 8 mil tbh. I think he's a good number 1 C but not an elite 1 and we can't afford to pay anything outside of an elite player 8 mil. Id only give him 8 mil if he scores 30+ and 75+ points.

Stone id give 8-9 mil easy. He's a star star player capable of 70+ with selke style game.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If it really is a rebuild, you move both of them. No brainer.

Stone and Duchene putting together some strong game is great for us, as it boosts their trade value (assuming derpy derp can pull off a good deal for once).

I'm kind of torn between wanting a full rebuild (trading Stone, Duchene and more) and a simple re-tool (signing Stone and Duchene and trading secondary players like Dzingel/Pageau/Ceci etc...).

Full rebuild would give us a better chance at winning a cup, but would likely mean 4-5YRs+ of sucking.

Re-tooling could allow us to turn the ship around and make the playoffs in a couple years, but I don't know if we'd be good enough to seriously contend.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm kind of torn between wanting a full rebuild (trading Stone, Duchene and more) and a simple re-tool (signing Stone and Duchene and trading secondary players like Dzingel/Pageau/Ceci etc...).

Full rebuild would give us a better chance at winning a cup, but would likely mean 4-5YRs+ of sucking.

Re-tooling could allow us to turn the ship around and make the playoffs in a couple years, but I don't know if we'd be good enough to seriously contend.

Our stable of prospects right now is nice...but I don't feel like it will get us beyond 'wild card in perpetuity' status. Basically just groundhog day of what we already experienced over the last 5-6 years (likely without the lucky ECF run).

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

I know what you mean. I’m leaning towards full rebuild personally.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Hold on Duchene. Sign Stone.
Duchene needs to become more "Ottawa" (read boring, circumspect, humble). The Uber Edginess is a little worrying.
We have bRian 5 or 6 for cutting edge mores, after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->