Mark Kelley’s weigh in on Top Draft Prospects

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I'm very interested in seeing the next Hawks "inside the room" with Kelley and company leading up to the draft. Didnt realize alot of teams also do this.

(Canucks scouts meeting)

(Benning last year)

(Benning two years ago. I actually forgot Stan and him did a trade for picks @ 3:25)

Inside the Storm: Draft
(Rod the Bod and company)

Arizona Coyotes All Access: Inside the 2018 NHL Draft
(The Nerd)

Behind the scenes: Marc Bergevin and staff mic'd up at the 2018 NHL Draft
(Bergevin)

2015 CBJ Draft Table
(Jarmo a few years back)

Just some great stuff (yea I was up looking at these videos last night along with the Hawks stuff)

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I'm very interested in seeing the next Hawks "inside the room" with Kelley and company leading up to the draft. Didnt realize alot of teams also do this.

(Canucks scouts meeting)

(Benning last year)

(Benning two years ago. I actually forgot Stan and him did a trade for picks @ 3:25)

Inside the Storm: Draft
(Rod the Bod and company)

Arizona Coyotes All Access: Inside the 2018 NHL Draft
(The Nerd)

Behind the scenes: Marc Bergevin and staff mic'd up at the 2018 NHL Draft
(Bergevin)

2015 CBJ Draft Table
(Jarmo a few years back)

Just some great stuff (yea I was up looking at these videos last night along with the Hawks stuff)

Excellent!

Evan Barratt ought to view this from minute 12 on. Maybe he’ll remember that feeling and won’t skip signing with the Hawks.

On The Clock: The Draft

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Maybe he’ll remember that feeling and won’t skip signing with the Hawks.
I highly doubt he's planning on bailing. He's had one breakout year in the NCAA. I'm sure he'd feel much more confident in signing after repeating another similar season. Mitchell has said as much too. It's common for prospects to do 3 years unless they're really high picks.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Excellent!

Evan Barratt ought to view this from minute 12 on. Maybe he’ll remember that feeling and won’t skip signing with the Hawks.

On The Clock: The Draft

Dallas told the Hawks who they would take at 26 but what about picks 27 and 28? Seems like Stan was good with either Tolvanen, Jokiharju or someone else while some of the staff really wanted Jokiharju. Pretty cool they put this stuff out, looking forward to the new episodes.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas told the Hawks who they would take at 26 but what about picks 27 and 28? Seems like Stan was good with either Tolvanen, Jokiharju or someone else while some of the staff really wanted Jokiharju. Pretty cool they put this stuff out, looking forward to the new episodes.

Stan said he liked Jokiharju, Tolvanen and Bowers. Can’t remember exactly where I saw that but he liked 4-5 players in that late 1st group.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
this is a Fantastic time in the upcoming hockey new trades and the draft.

no matter what our opinions are b/c we are all right. we can reach an conclusion of this time..... it will come draft time when we will know what the Bhawks org will do. we may be stun of the eventual decision.

GO HAWKS !!!!

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Stan said he liked Jokiharju, Tolvanen and Bowers. Can’t remember exactly where I saw that but he liked 4-5 players in that late 1st group.
I re-watched this old "On the Clock" video yesterday someone linked to because of Barratt and the quote is in there around the 6:39 mark

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
Chicago pizza is like a bowl of sauce, bread, and cheese. It more so resembles a stew of **** than pizza.

And Montreal bagles are what you get when you get a drunk person attempting to bake a bagel.

You do realize that the only idiots that associate Chicago pizza with depends fish are the idiots that don’t live here, right?

Chicago is home of the finest goddamned thin crust pizza on God’s green earth. And anyone who loves pizza knows it. No one really gives a **** about the deep dish/stuffed.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
Actual Chicago pizza is thin crust (tavern style). Deep Dish isn’t what most natives eat on a regular basis.
Right. It’s the tourists that rave over the deep dish. It’s a carnival treat. Fact is, most people trashing Chicago pizza and calling it inferior are not only doing so because they think deep dish is all anyone eats here, but they’ve never even had it themselves, much less the thin crust which is boss hog.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Brother Espo

Apr 22, 2019
Mark Kelley further weighs in on this year’s Top Draft Prospects...

Blackhawks Talk podcast:
Blackhawks Talk Podcast

Transcription:

Vasily Podkolzin: “Yeah, I think y’know, he would be eh uh, strong two-way player, uh strong on his skates, um y’know, strong in traffic.”

Dylan Cozens: “Uh, Dylan Cozens is really a two-way centreman that um, he plays fast and uh, he plays inside.”

Kirby Dach: “Uh, Kirby Dach is a uh, big centreman, a playmaking centreman, um, very comfortable with the puck.”

Alex Turcotte: “Yeah, Alex is eh uh, again, high-skilled, um, strong, highly-competitive, good y’know, two-way centreman.”

Bowen Byram: “Uh, he’s uh, had an outstanding year. He’s uh, second half of the year, he’s really I think, um, second year’s been outstanding. He’s really kind of uh drew a lot of attention to him, himself. Well deserved. His playoffs have been outstanding, uh, watching him the other night, he had a four-assist game. Um, y’know, he’a a dynamic player that uh, he effects the outcome of the game.”

Trevor Zegras: “Yeah, Trevor is uh, a high-skilled um, centreman. Very good skater, very, very creative, um, y’know, uh, comfortable and creative with the puck.”

Matthew Boldy: “Matthew Boldy. Big winger, um, great shot. Going to Boston College. Um, high-skilled. He um, uh, I think what he brings is size, the shot and he has a deceptively good two-way game.”

Cole Caufield: “Uh, it’s goal! I mean, he just scores goals. Um, y’know, I think the comparison to Alex is uh, uh a natural. Um, there are some similarities but uh y’know, he stands on his own. He is eh uh, I don’t know, five-foot seven, and he’s as brave as anyone is on the ice and at the end of the game, he’s going to have as much impact as anyone.”

Peyton Krebs: “Yeah, Peyton Krebs is eh uh, uh strong two-way game, great motor, centreman. Um, had a little bit of a difficult year in Kootenay because the team was not very good and there was also, they were in the process of moving to Winnipeg. So, but eh uh, one of the things that stood out with him is, um, he was able to handle um, that situation, the adversity and um y’know, had a very strong year. Easy to find on the ice.”

Alex Newhook: “Alex, Alex uh, he’s actually uh, he is from the Maritimes and he went out and played in the BCHL. Uh, next year is going to Boston College and uh, he is uh, a smart, skilled two-way forward centreman and uh, hard-nosed. A lot of compete in his game. Fun player to watch.”

Espo

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Mark Kelley further weighs in on this year’s Top Draft Prospects...

Blackhawks Talk podcast:
Blackhawks Talk Podcast

Transcription:

Vasily Podkolzin: “Yeah, I think y’know, he would be eh uh, strong two-way player, uh strong on his skates, um y’know, strong in traffic.”

Dylan Cozens: “Uh, Dylan Cozens is really a two-way centreman that um, he plays fast and uh, he plays inside.”

Kirby Dach: “Uh, Kirby Dach is a uh, big centreman, a playmaking centreman, um, very comfortable with the puck.”

Alex Turcotte: “Yeah, Alex is eh uh, again, high-skilled, um, strong, highly-competitive, good y’know, two-way centreman.”

Bowen Byram: “Uh, he’s uh, had an outstanding year. He’s uh, second half of the year, he’s really I think, um, second year’s been outstanding. He’s really kind of uh drew a lot of attention to him, himself. Well deserved. His playoffs have been outstanding, uh, watching him the other night, he had a four-assist game. Um, y’know, he’a a dynamic player that uh, he effects the outcome of the game.”

Trevor Zegras: “Yeah, Trevor is uh, a high-skilled um, centreman. Very good skater, very, very creative, um, y’know, uh, comfortable and creative with the puck.”

Matthew Boldy: “Matthew Boldy. Big winger, um, great shot. Going to Boston College. Um, high-skilled. He um, uh, I think what he brings is size, the shot and he has a deceptively good two-way game.”

Cole Caufield: “Uh, it’s goal! I mean, he just scores goals. Um, y’know, I think the comparison to Alex is uh, uh a natural. Um, there are some similarities but uh y’know, he stands on his own. He is eh uh, I don’t know, five-foot seven, and he’s as brave as anyone is on the ice and at the end of the game, he’s going to have as much impact as anyone.”

Peyton Krebs: “Yeah, Peyton Krebs is eh uh, uh strong two-way game, great motor, centreman. Um, had a little bit of a difficult year in Kootenay because the team was not very good and there was also, they were in the process of moving to Winnipeg. So, but eh uh, one of the things that stood out with him is, um, he was able to handle um, that situation, the adversity and um y’know, had a very strong year. Easy to find on the ice.”

Alex Newhook: “Alex, Alex uh, he’s actually uh, he is from the Maritimes and he went out and played in the BCHL. Uh, next year is going to Boston College and uh, he is uh, a smart, skilled two-way forward centreman and uh, hard-nosed. A lot of compete in his game. Fun player to watch.”

Espo

That's a lot of uh. Haha thanks for the transcription.

Krebs and Byram got the longest answers. Are they leaning or just confusing other teams?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I have a feeling they really like Krebs.

Second time I've seen someone in the Hawks org gushing about him. Doubt they pick him at 3, but perhaps a move down the line if the org that picks him maybe sours on him (ala Strome).

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Does not surprise me at all that the hawks like Krebs. Haven’t seen a crazy amount of him but everything I’ve read says his hockey IQ is really high. Seems like someone Stan and Kelley would love.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Krebs feels like their trade down guy. If somebody comes in with a serious offer and they can slide back to 8-10 range and net a top 4 defenseman for the NHL roster.

Brother Espo

Apr 22, 2019
That's a lot of uh. Haha thanks for the transcription.

Krebs and Byram got the longest answers. Are they leaning or just confusing other teams?

A lot of ‘uhs’ indeed! ;)

I do appreciate how Mark Kelley has been approaching the draft though, during public interviews and now podcasts. He’s been candid despite the strong need to keep the cards close to the vest.

As far as who goes #3, I still think it will be between Krebs, Byram, Zegras and Turcotte, based on my reading of and listening to past and present comments by Kelley and co.

We know the Hawks place an emphasis on the strength of “the head, heart, and the feet” of targeted prospects, to quote Daddy Bowman.

Mark Kelley: “The hockey IQ, the skating, the skill set... We want to draft players who play the style we like to play. That is fast and with the puck.”

What do all four of those players have in common? Speed, skill, great skating and high IQ’s.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
When my best friend when to UW-Madision he lived like a block away from Ian’s for a couple years. That was always a staple any time I visited him. Haven’t been there in years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad