Mark Kelley’s weigh in on Top Draft Prospects

Brother Espo

Apr 22, 2019
(News Article)

Hello all -

As a new member and long-time Hawks fan, I thought I would take the initiative to share a recent Tribune article featuring VP (of amateur scouting) Mark Kelley’s weigh in on Top Draft Prospects for 2019:

Blackhawks' search for the No. 3 pick began long before they moved up in the draft lottery

Seven prospects of interest are spoken about by Kelley in some detail and the article perhaps offers a window into the potential internal discussions being held by Hawks’ scouting and managerial staff.

Bowen Byram - “Great transition game, pushes the pace.”

Peyton Krebs - “He has a great motor, a great compete level.”

Dylan Cozens - “He is a big, powerful centerman. Great skater, great competitor.”

Kirby Dach - “Great set of hands, very, very smart, aware hockey player.”

Vasili Podkolzin - “He’s physically strong, plays a lot of the game inside the dots.”

Alex Turcotte - “A 200-foot game, you just know what you’re going to get.”

Trevor Zegras - “Great skater, great vision. Makes plays.”

I apologize if this article has already been posted. Moderators, if you feel this is not worthy of its own thread, please feel free to merge with a pre-existing thread.

Regards,
Espo

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Notice in the article that he talks bout skating with everyone except Dach (Turcotte as well but for focused on him being hurt and then sick).
Kelley's description of Dach also fits Strome. Doesn't make Dach a bad prospect. Though not worthy of 3OA (which we've been over before).

Seemingly he was praising Krebs and Turcotte the most.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Notice in the article that he talks bout skating with everyone except Dach (Turcotte as well but for focused on him being hurt and then sick).

Music to me ears.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kelley only had 19 words to say about Byram. Less than everyone except Zegras who also had 19 words said about him. Of course Zegras isn't even in the conversation for #3.

So it's very clear that Kelley is trying to keep up the facade and hide from everyone that Byram is the pick. I see right through you Kelley...

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Hundreds of people know more about hockey on this website than Craig Button. Guy is a turd. His rankings are based purely on the WJC and the U18s and thats about it. Maybe sprinkle in some Hlinka.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Unless your Craig Button who LOVES Zegras. ;)
that kid is another wildcard that can go very high.

crazy to think but this could possibly happen:

#1 Hughes
#3 Turcotte
#5 Zegras
# 7 Boldy
#8 Caufield
#10 York

there is a chance it can go down something like that, never in the history of the draft has 1 team produced 6 top 10 picks..I doubt any have ever produced 4 or 5...this is going to be legendary.

Brother Espo

Apr 22, 2019
I'm dissapointed they didn't ask for his opinion on Boldy. I feel like he would've gushed about him.

It is also possible that Kelley had influenced which prospects were to be discussed for this article. The Hawks’ participation here is on some level an indication of their wanting to prepare the fan base in advance of their selection in June. Peyton Krebs’ inclusion, I believe, was not random, but an indication of management’s serious consideration of him. Let’s not be surprised if he is indeed a current favourite of Hawks’ scouts.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Kelley only had 19 words to say about Byram. Less than everyone except Zegras who also had 19 words said about him. Of course Zegras isn't even in the conversation for #3.

So it's very clear that Kelley is trying to keep up the facade and hide from everyone that Byram is the pick. I see right through you Kelley...

19 words. There's a certain #19 on the club. Hmmmmmm ...
Kelley ... talking in code?

We obv need a more in depth interview - whoever gets 88 words ... ;-)

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
It is also possible that Kelley had influenced which prospects were to be discussed for this article. The Hawks’ participation here is on some level an indication of their wanting to prepare the fan base in advance of their selection in June. Peyton Krebs’ inclusion, I believe, was not random, but an indication of management’s serious consideration of him. Let’s not be surprised if he is indeed a current favourite of Hawks’ scouts.

Yeah, I definitely think he’s in consideration here at #3. His skill set fits perfectly with the type of player we like. I also think based on what he said that Cozens, Krebs, and Turcotte are their current favorites with Krebs and Turcotte being higher than Cozens. I could also see us being really high on Byram despite the shorter response. Everything he said about Byram described a player that would fit our system to a tee. The only ones he had really long responses for were players that dealt with adversity (injuries/moving team/lack of support).

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
In all seriousness its probably Turcotte vs Byram like most expect. Seems to like Krebs as well but that might’ve been a bigger consideration at 9-12.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad