Mark Arcobello

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
His assist on Hemsky's goal was beautiful , he also did a great play like that on a Ryan Smyth goal earlier this year ,seen Smyth was coming in late on play than spun around at blueline than dissed to Eberle who feed Smyth with wide open net, his vision is so good.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Agreed, depth is absolutely necessary in making the Oilers into a better team.

Why on earth do some posters insist on trading any level of duplication?

No room for Hemsky in top six, can't have two small effective offensive centres, Yakupov can't play on the third line, can't have so many depth defenders.... having options make the Oilers a better team. Injuries happen every year with every team.

Flavour of the month. As good as Arco has been, if he was actually a better player than the guy with 400 plus GP and 250 plus points before age 25, he wouldn't be playing his first baker's dozen NHL games at age 25 now.

"Gagner's replacement". Good grief.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Flavour of the month. As good as Arco has been, if he was actually a better player than the guy with 400 plus GP and 250 plus points before age 25, he wouldn't be playing his first baker's dozen NHL games at age 25 now.

Gagner when he gets back will need time to get up to pace why at present time change something that is working at 2nd line C. Like I stated earlier Arcobello needs to play himself off 2nd line before dropping him down the Second Gagner comes back. Mac T stated earlier Gagner could be a candidate to be moved to the wing, and with Arco's play for the time being this would be the best option .

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Gagner when he gets back will need time to get up to pace why at present time change something that is working at 2nd line C. Like I stated earlier Arcobello needs to play himself off 2nd line before dropping him down the Second Gagner comes back. Mac T stated earlier Gagner could be a candidate to be moved to the wing, and with Arco's play for the time being this would be the best option .

Sure, but long term I stick with the guy with the track record.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
A lot of great teams have guys who can play wing or centre. It doesn't have to be Arcobello vs. Gagner. Gagner can play both and maybe Arco can as well. Unfortunately they're both small, but that's just the oiler tradition.

Simpleheart

Sep 15, 2009
Well Gagner is going no where next two seasons so I think that talk should be put to rest Imo. Also I am a Gagner fan and last season our Center depth was brutal this season its a blessing.

gordon has been a ridiculous upgrade over belanger. the fact that arcobello has been good in the faceoff dot is just icing on his assists.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Late bloomer maybe? Ever hear of a guy named Martin St. Louis? He didn't find his groove until he was 25, and was even bought out by Calgary after being passed over completely in the 2000 draft (Calgary exposed him hoping he'd be taken off their hands).

Right now, Applebello is playing better as our #2C than Gagner has in 400+ GP with us. So yeah...until he plays himself out of the position, it's his to loose. Gags or no Gags.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Late bloomer maybe? Ever hear of a guy named Martin St. Louis? He didn't find his groove until he was 25, and was even bought out by Calgary after being passed over completely in the 2000 draft (Calgary exposed him hoping he'd be taken off their hands).

Right now, Applebello is playing better as our #2C than Gagner has in 400+ GP with us. So yeah...until he plays himself out of the position, it's his to loose. Gags or no Gags.

Hope so. But I doubt even Eakins can keep someone making Gagners type of cash from pushing out someone who deserves to be on the team when he comes back.

I love the depth we have when Gagner comes back but I really think this is more of a pick one to stay and move the other.

I remember very well how "successful" Gagner is on the wing. He doesn't feel comfortable there and it shows.

And at some point we have to limit the amount of hobbits we have on our quest for the Stanley cup.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

That's a bit of an overstatement.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
That's a bit of an overstatement.

Funny. You must be a blind Gagner supporter to say that.

If anything it's an understatement.

I am, more often than not in my groups of friends, a Gagner supporter.

I think he is a good player and if he can take just another decent step in how he plays the game defensively, he is a legit/elite #2 NHL center.

Arco's defensive game and positioning make Gagner look like the rookie rather than visa versa.

If arco comes out and scores a couple goals in the next couple games I don't know what you do with Gagner when comes back.

It is too small a sample to flush Gagner and put the hero hat on Arco but there is no question that Arco is superior to Gagner to date.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Nope just a big believer in facts.

:laugh:

Arco's defensive game and positioning make Gagner look like the rookie rather than visa versa.

If arco comes out and scores a couple goals in the next couple games I don't know what you do with Gagner when comes back.

You play him.

It is too small a sample to flush Gagner and put the hero hat on Arco but there is no question that Arco is superior to Gagner to date.

So it's too small a sample to get rid of Gagner completely, but a big enough sample to make a statement like that? How does that work?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nope just a big believer in facts.

:laugh:

You play him.

So it's too small a sample to get rid of Gagner completely, but a big enough sample to make a statement like that? How does that work?

Thought u said you are a big believer in facts.

Facts:

Arco is at least as good if not better play maker (in 10 games versus 400).

Arco is a better faceoff man (in 10 games versus 400).

Arco has better defensively/positionaly than Gagner (in 10 games versus 400). When was the last time you heard that "Gagner does all the right things away from the puck". Never.

Tied for the league lead for points.

One of the top faceoff% in the league.

+4 on a minus team.

Tied for 15th in NHL scoring.

Playing at a ppg pace in his NHL career.

Ripping up Corsi numbers.

Too early yes. But based off the facts... common man. Even a die hard fan of Gagner got to say this kid looks 1000 times better "right now".

Sure he will fall back down to earth in the long run. But right now. The facts are against you/Gagner.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

I am, more often than not in my groups of friends, a Gagner supporter.

I think he is a good player and if he can take just another decent step in how he plays the game defensively, he is a legit/elite #2 NHL center.

It's probably time to put the Mark Arcobello flavoured kool-aid down and think about this objectively for a moment or two.

Sam Gagner
400+ NHL games, 250+ points, recently signed a 3 year deal to pay him 14.4M

Mark Acrobello
11 NHL games, 10 points, recently signed a 1 year deal to pay him 0.6M

If you think for one second that Sam Gagner, former 6th overall draft pick and recipient of 6 years of development from within the organization, is going to lose his 2nd line center spot to a 25 year old NHL rookie with 11 games and a stats line bolstered by playing with Hall and Eberle, you're going to be very disappointed.

The only way Arcobello takes Gagner's spot on the depth chart is if Gagner comes back from his injury and he's a complete defensive liability for a month straight.

Players get hot, it happens. Hell, Gagner once got 80% of Arcobellos total NHL production in 33 minutes and 23 seconds of one game. It's probably a little early to give Sam's job to Mark.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's probably time to put the Mark Arcobello flavoured kool-aid down and think about this objectively for a moment or two.

Sam Gagner
400+ NHL games, 250+ points, recently signed a 3 year deal to pay him 14.4M

Mark Acrobello
11 NHL games, 10 points, recently signed a 1 year deal to pay him 0.6M

If you think for one second that Sam Gagner, former 6th overall draft pick and recipient of 6 years of development from within the organization, is going to lose his 2nd line center spot to a 25 year old an NHL rookie with 11 games and a stats line bolstered by playing with Hall and Eberle, you're going to be very disappointed.

The only way Arcobello takes Gagner's spot on the depth chart is if Gagner comes back from his injury and he's a complete defensive liability for a month straight.

Players get hot, it happens. Hell, Gagner once got 80% of Arcobellos total NHL production in 33 minutes and 23 seconds of one game. It's probably a little early to give Sam's job to Mark.

Oh I agree with you 100%.

It is too early.

But some funny thing you pointed out that I was hoping someone would.

Bolstered by playing with Hall and Eberle?

#1 He hasn't played with Hall consistently. Just Eberle... who happens to be playing much better than Hall...

#2 Gagner has had every opportunity the Oilers possibly could for Bolstering his numbers. I would say this is wash at best for Gagner and an easy argument that Arco has shown better with the same kind of quality line mates.

Gagner's super streak/8 points?

Shows how inconsistent Gagner is. To have so many points/success in so few games and to end up as low as he did says exactly how bad Gagner can play as well.

PS EDIT: I agree its too early and Arco will more than likely plummet back to earth. But. What if he doesn't? This is his first 10 games in the NHL and he is doing great. What if he gets better? As players get used to the NHL speed and size some players "develop" and improve.

This kid showed up late to the party but he is still young with one full impressive AHL year behind him. Could well be the sky is the limit.

Last edited:

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Too early yes. But based off the facts... common man. Even a die hard fan of Gagner got to say this kid looks 1000 times better "right now".

Sure he will fall back down to earth in the long run. But right now. The facts are against you/Gagner.

What's the comparison here? That Arco looks better than Gagner when the latter hasn't played a game this year? That Arco looks better than Gagner at any point in his career?

I'm glad you are aware that its too early to make any definitive judgement on Arco. Too bad you haven't really absorbed that yourself.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Had to update my avatar for the kid. Hope he can keep this up a bit. Like I said on the main board, even if he went pointless for the next 10 games we still couldn't be disappointed in his .50 ppg for a "career AHLer" call up, especially given his FO% and defensive awareness

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Oh I agree with you 100%.

It is too early.

But some funny thing you pointed out that I was hoping someone would.

Bolstered by playing with Hall and Eberle?

#1 He hasn't played with Hall consistently. Just Eberle... who happens to be playing much better than Hall...

#2 Gagner has had every opportunity the Oilers possibly could for Bolstering his numbers. I would say this is wash at best for Gagner and an easy argument that Arco has shown better with the same kind of quality line mates.

Gagner's super streak/8 points?

Shows how inconsistent Gagner is. To have so many points/success in so few games and to end up as low as he did says exactly how bad Gagner can play as well.

K fine, bolstered by playing with Perron and Eberle. As if that really makes a difference.

Gagner is a far superior player to Arcobello. Full stop. If you made me choose between one or the other I'm taking the 24 year old with 400 NHL games over the 25 year old college player with 11 NHL games.

If you want to rag on Sam for inconsistency or his FO% or whatever else comes to your mind, that's on you. Sam's the guy I want on my team. He's a leader. He's a warrior. ****, he got his face caved in sticking up for his teammates! He's one of a few guys who survived the on-going purge of garbage from this team over the last few years because he's one of the guys who actually gives a damn and tries every single night even during the darkest of times.

Go live in a fantasy world with Arcobello. I want proven NHL players. Sam Gagner is a proven NHL player.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
c7NJRa2.gif

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
K fine, bolstered by playing with Perron and Eberle. As if that really makes a difference.

Gagner is a far superior player to Arcobello. Full stop. If you made me choose between one or the other I'm taking the 24 year old with 400 NHL games over the 25 year old college player with 11 NHL games.

If you want to rag on Sam for inconsistency or his FO% or whatever else comes to your mind, that's on you. Sam's the guy I want on my team. He's a leader. He's a warrior. ****, he got his face caved in sticking up for his teammates! He's one of a few guys who survived the on-going purge of garbage from this team over the last few years because he's one of the guys who actually gives a damn and tries every single night even during the darkest of times.

Go live in a fantasy world with Arcobello. I want proven NHL players. Sam Gagner is a proven NHL player.

Oh wow.

You live in a world of contradictions.

So its fine that Gagner had his numbers plumped but not Arco? They basically play with the same players.

Sam Gagner is a proven NHL player on a terrible NHL team. With obvious holes in his game defensively.

Arco may well be a better player in the long run. To date he is in fact better.

It is too early. And I wouldn't trade Gagner and replace him with Arco as it is right now. But if Arco arrows continue to point up I think that Gagner truly does become expendable.

This is a good thing. For the organization.

PS: ROLFLMAO for the above "lets have both".

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
It is too early. And I wouldn't trade Gagner and replace him with Arco as it is right now. But if Arco arrows continue to point up I think that Gagner truly does become expendable.

Yes because centre is such a position of strength for this team. :sarcasm:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
1st in points
2nd in +/-
4th in shots

Pretty impressive for a career AHLer ;)

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Oh wow.

You live in a world of contradictions.

So its fine that Gagner had his numbers plumped but not Arco? They basically play with the same players.

Sam Gagner is a proven NHL player on a terrible NHL team. With obvious holes in his game defensively.

Arco may well be a better player in the long run. To date he is in fact better.

PS: ROLFLMAO for the above "lets have both".

I don't really live in a world of contradictions. If you really want to argue that Sam has had his numbers pumped, you can only really do so by pointing to last season when he played half the season with Hall and Eberle as his wingers after RNH went down. He posted nearly a 0.8 ppg that season. For all the other years he's been in the NHL he was a consistent 0.6 ppg player whether he's got Patrick O'Sullivan or Ales Hemsky on his wings.

Gagner is a much better defensive player than you give him credit for. He showed that last season when he was given the task of matching up against other teams top lines. Arcobello is not, to date, a better player than Sam Gagner. I'll go as far to say that I find it extremely unlikely that Arcobello plays well enough, for long enough, that the Oilers will find Sam Gagner expendable.

Here's my prediction for what happens:
- Sam comes back and takes his spot as the 2C (because veterans don't lose their spot in the lineup due to injury)
- Arcobello ends up playing between Jones/Smyth/Random 3rd liners, his point production plummets.
- HFOil starts calling for him to be sent back to the AHL

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
We can try Arco in the top9 through whole season. Then we can have three scoring lines and fourth line. If he is centering the fourth line alos that line would be scoring threat and more than marginally

Oct 15, 2008

Moving Gagner to the Wings would be an early Christmas present.:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad