Mark Arcobello

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I have been very impressed with him so far , great in the dot very good hockey sense in offensive zone. I think he deserves some love.:) Mods I could not find a thread on him in player discussions please merge if one already.

The Perfect Human*

Some people are getting really butthurt about his success thus far - as if it's some slight against Gagner.

What we needed was a guy to step into that secondary scoring role and fill in for one of our injured guys.

What we're getting is something more.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Some people are getting really butthurt about his success thus far - as if it's some slight against Gagner.

What we needed was a guy to step into that secondary scoring role and fill in for one of our injured guys.

What we're getting is something more.

Gagner can easily be moved to wing lots of experience already there imo.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Currently leads the team in ppg, assists, +\-, and second in faceoff % behind Gordon.

The Perfect Human*

Hall RNH Hemsky
Perron Gordon Gagner
Joensuu Arcobello Eberle
Smyth Acton Yakupov

Not the absolute worst, especially if we're 70% on draws every night.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Arcobello may not have much future in the NHL, but he's a great depth player to fill in time for injuries.
I think he's done as well or better than one could expect from him.
Skilled enough not to be a black hole offensively playing with top players, good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6 after Gagner returns. The only thing preventing him from being a full-time NHLer is his size. Add 2 inches and 20 lbs and he'd be a regular on more than one team.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
On fire. I think you keep him here on the 4th line when Gagner returns. He plays well enough defensively (as good as Acton anyways), wins faceoffs and if Brown or Gazidic just go to the net maybe they can bounce one in once in awhile from his setups. Great at puck posession as well.

The Perfect Human*

Arcobello may not have much future in the NHL, but he's a great depth player to fill in time for injuries.
Skilled enough not to be a black hole offensively playing with top players, good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6 after Gagner returns. The only thing preventing him from being a full-time NHLer is his size. Add 2 inches and 20 lbs and he'd be a regular on more than one team.

I don't understand this. He's clearly producing and not being a defensive liability with his current height and weight.

Why is it so hard for people to fathom that the guy might just be good enough the way he is?

No wonder it took MSL to get an established NHL job.

elpol

Re-Registered User
Nov 5, 2008
vancouver
don't know why people are so quick to assume that Arcobello is simply going to be tossed aside once Gagner returns.. Maybe not a straight trajectory, but he's showing improvement every game. Seems to me that Eakins would like to keep such a kid around. maybe the work ethic will rub off on a few other players...

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Leading the team in points (tied with Hall) and in plus-minus, he certainly hasn't looked out of place, nor has he been a liability on the ice. Arcobello is a playing like a stud.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
The guy has great offensive instincts reads plays very well ,and is a very good passer, he has been unlucky with scoring so far but he creates a lot of chances, looks like A NHL player to me and so far everyone of his stats says so as well.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I don't understand this. He's clearly producing and not being a defensive liability with his current height and weight.

Why is it so hard for people to fathom that the guy might just be good enough the way he is?

No wonder it took MSL to get an established NHL job.

Because GMs take such things into consideration. I personally don't have a problem with Arcobello staying up after Gagner returns. I have never seen him being manhandled due to his lack of size a la Gagner or J.Schultz.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Imagine if he could only have some finish on some of the chances he's getting.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Might not have a big body, but he has a big league brain. He's our David Desharnais except he's better without the puck and better on the draws. I was going to make a thread on Arco the other day because i've been so impressed. He was great against the leafs. .Looks like a better center option than Ganger to me, but still to early.... but at least he can win a faceoff and in my eyes makes great defensive reads and is excellent at pinching and creating turn overs and he can pass. ..Looks like a better center option than Ganger to me , but still to early....

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Might not have a big body, but he has a big league brain. He's our David Desharnais except he's better without the puck and better on the draws. I was going to make a thread on Arco the other day because i've been so impressed. He was great against the leafs. .Looks like a better center option than Ganger to me, but still to early.... but at least he can win a faceoff and in my eyes makes great defensive reads and is excellent at pinching and creating turn overs and he can pass. ..Looks like a better center option than Ganger to me , but still to early....

He's definitely more compete player than Gagner. Gagner has more offensive ability though, not to mention the pedigree.

The Perfect Human*

He's definitely more compete player than Gagner. Gagner has more offensive ability though, not to mention the pedigree.

5 games into his NHL career Arcobello has done nothing to qualify this statement. Point/game > 50-60pt pace everyday of the week, especially when Gagner is a perennial minus player

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
His results are solid. I think he has outplayed acton for sure I guess the question is do you want to go with a bunch of scoring lines

Hall-Hopkins-Hemsky
Perron-ganger-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Eberle
Joensuu-Arcobello-Gadzic

Or some combination of those players???

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Id be perfectly content with that 4th line. It can still bang and crash and play defense. Gazidic can be the muscle and we can ditch acton and brown or sit them out as extra forwards.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
5 games into his NHL career Arcobello has done nothing to qualify this statement. Point/game > 50-60pt pace everyday of the week, especially when Gagner is a perennial minus player

Arcobello played the total of 5 games in the NHL. 3 out of his 5 points came in tonight's game. He's got a lot to prove before we proclaim him a superior offensive player to Gagner.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Could you imagine what his point totals would like if he potted even half of the open nets he's had too haha.

They say the puck seems to find good players and you definitely can't say the puck hasn't found him.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Could you imagine what his point totals would like if he potted even half of the open nets he's had too haha.

They say the puck seems to find good players and you definitely can't say the puck hasn't found him.

Yep he could easily have 9/10 points right now once inside opposition blue line he looks unreal.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Really bad luck on that Bernier save tonight. You've gotta think that it's only a matter of time until he pots one...

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
His results are solid. I think he has outplayed acton for sure I guess the question is do you want to go with a bunch of scoring lines

Hall-Hopkins-Hemsky
Perron-ganger-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Eberle
Joensuu-Arcobello-Gadzic

Or some combination of those players???

God no, hes better than Gagner at C.

Perron - Nuge - Yak
Hall - Gordon - Hemsky
Gags - Arco - Eberle
Joensuu - Acton - Smyth

Dunno just a look. I liked Hall - Gord - Hemsky before.

Truth be told were busting at the seams with skill, we need to make a move (for a goalie).

We have so much skill it permeates every line, actually ridiculous tbh.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Haven't seen anyone doing that. What I do see is people making senseless comparisons between the two and somehow arriving at the ridiculous conclusion that Arco is/was/ever will be a better player than Gagner.

Besides, lets be honest, Arcobello hasn't done much beyond keep his head above water.
As soon as we get healthy its back to AHL for him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad