Mark Arcobello

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
There some people who are making Gagner sound like he is the best 2 way center in the game.

Oh good lord.

No one is over selling Gagner. I do see a few people overselling Arcobello, though.

Your hyperbole in this thread ("serious blind hate for (Arcobello)" LOL) is nothing if not amusing, though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov (great chemistry last year very offence heavy more of a second line)
Joensuu-Hopkins-Eberle (RNH and Ebs can play together feel they could use a net driver and grit)
Perron-Arcobello-Hemsky (two way line solid chemistry can play really against any line)
Smyth-Gordon-Pitlick (not a true fourth line more of a shutdown grinder third line can play 10-15 min)

Looks balanced no??

I actually really like this line up. Can someone email it to Eakins?

People need to remember Gagner had a similar hot start to his first 15 games last season. So before saying Arco is a gagner replacement, take into account he could cool off

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov (great chemistry last year very offence heavy more of a second line)
Joensuu-Hopkins-Eberle (RNH and Ebs can play together feel they could use a net driver and grit)
Perron-Arcobello-Hemsky (two way line solid chemistry can play really against any line)
Smyth-Gordon-Pitlick (not a true fourth line more of a shutdown grinder third line can play 10-15 min)

Looks balanced no??

I like it overall, but would swap Arco and Gordon. Gordon is too good to be playing 4C minutes.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
I think if Arco is playing between Smyth and Pitlick/Smac he won't be putting up that many points.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
THE STATS GUY ‏@TH2NSTATSGUY 9h

Correction: Arcobello, 3rd rookie in last 20 years to record 10 assists in teams first 10 games of the season. (Crosby, Kane) @EliasSports

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Looks balanced no??

+1 Indeed it does!

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
The best option is to move Gagner to the wing. Arcobello is a better centre at winning faceoffs and is better defensively than Gagner. Gagner has played wing before and should be able to adjust and keep his scoring touch. Gordon should be a third line C and Acton has done well as a fourth line C.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I think if Arco is playing between Smyth and Pitlick/Smac he won't be putting up that many points.

Duh. Gretzky wouldn't put up many points playing with those guys. Arc is more a passer than shooter. He needs decent talent on his line to produce. As do most players

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Looks balanced no??

I don't like the first line, it is a defensive catastrophe. Gagner is not Crosby enough to babysit Hall and Yak on one line. It is balanced in that we have it evened out all the way through for player positions (2nd and 3rd lines are great to me). Also Gordon isn't a 4th line C and Gagner is certainly not in his realm of defensive capability.

I think we'd look at:

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Perron - Arco - Hem
Yak - Gordon - Gagner if Gagner must play RW.
Smyth - Acton - Joensuu / Gazdic

I think Joensuu unfortunately with injuries is going to fall behind the curve depth wise and won't be on the 3rd line unless lines get blendered.

I do think Yak slots in for Hall while he is gone though.

Yak - Nuge - Ebs
Perron - Arco - Hem
Joensuu - Gordon - Gagner --> Real good defensive line with some physical and offensive oomph.
Gazdic - Acton - Jones

Something like that. Assuming Joensuu is back by the time Gagner is.

Inj: Smyth, Hall

Last edited:

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Because we have no indication at the moment that Arcobello isn't a flash in the pan and won't become a complete non-factor if you stick him on a line with Smyth and Hemsky or anyone else that doesn't play a high-skill game. I'd rather play Gordon on the 3rd line and dress a guy who can throw a check and PK like a demon on the fourth line.

I hope he proves me wrong, I'm just not sold on him yet.

Hmmm, what about swapping Acro with Gagner?

Gagner is on the "third" line with Smyth and Hemsky.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Here's my idea if we decide to keep Arco at C and put Gagner on RW (natural side), and continue with Yak on LW. I think Gagner on the wing is better for the team as a whole: only RNH would be a weak faceoff man out of the 4 centers, and Arco is better positionally playing in the D zone than Gagner.

Yakupov-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Arcobello-Gagner
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu/Smyth-Acton-Pitlick
14fwd: Gazdic/Jones
*obviously would rather have JJ in than Smyth, but Smyth may draw in because of the back injury, which isn't a terrible option.

Hall and Yak could also be switched for those wanting Gagner with Yak.

I'd be ok with rolling RNH-Gagner-Gordon-Arcobello as the 4 C's too in whatever order, but the above is just in the case that we want a *slightly* more conventional lineup.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Arcobello - Gagner
Yakupov - Gordon - Hemsky
Jonensuu - Acton - Jones

I believe thats the ideal lineup when everyone is healthy. I think we should keep Arcobello at center and in the top 6 so he can continue to setup our better players and keep winning faceoffs. Gagner will better serve the team on the right wing. Well shift Yak to LW since he shoots left anyway and we would have too many RWs to play him there. He also gets to play with hemsky in this situation which I think would be ideal for Yak, and his defensive miscues would be compensated by the ultra defensive Gordon.

Id also consider swapping Gagner and Hemsky here.

What do you guys think?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Arcobello - Gagner
Yakupov - Gordon - Hemsky
Jonensuu - Acton - Jones

I believe thats the ideal lineup when everyone is healthy. I think we should keep Arcobello at center and in the top 6 so he can continue to setup our better players and keep winning faceoffs. Gagner will better serve the team on the right wing. Well shift Yak to LW since he shoots left anyway and we would have too many RWs to play him there. He also gets to play with hemsky in this situation which I think would be ideal for Yak, and his defensive miscues would be compensated by the ultra defensive Gordon.

Id also consider swapping Gagner and Hemsky here.

What do you guys think?

Almost identical to my post right before yours, just a bit of LW swapping in the top 9. I might like yours slightly better, but would rather see last night's Pitlick over Jones on the 4th line.
So your top 9, and my 4th line.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
I know you guys just want to fight (err.... debate), but I thought I might look into it.

Arcobello has spent (in aggregate), 70% of this 5v5 time with Eberle (71%) and Hall/Perron (72%)

Here are Sam Gagner's top icemates over the years, according to behindthenet

2012-13: MPS (46%), Hemsky (44%), Yakupov (41%)
2011-12: Hemsky (44%), Hall (31%), Eberle (29%), Belanger (19%)
2010-11: MPS (45%) Hall/Hemsky/Omark all at 28-29%
2009-10: Penner (54%), Nilsson (26%), Cogliano (19%), Brule (18%)
2008-2009: Nilsson (55%) Cole (30%), Cogs (22%)
2007-2008: Nilsson (43%), then Cogs (39%), Stoll (18%)

It looks like Sam had great talent last year, a mixed bag in 2010-12, and pretty green linemates in the years prior.

Arco's been doing great and is earning his right to stick around on A line. But let's not forget Gagner was leading the team in scoring for the first ~30 games last year.

Aww yes, Mostly hemsky, hall and eberle, that's a real mixed bag there. Don't know how Gagner dealt with playing with those scrubs. Also, as you can pretty clearly see, those were our second line(or first) line players every year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Oh good lord.

No one is over selling Gagner. I do see a few people overselling Arcobello, though.

Your hyperbole in this thread ("serious blind hate for (Arcobello)" LOL) is nothing if not amusing, though.

Call it overselling by omission.

I've yet to hear one person in this thread who is pro Gagner do:

A. Admit Gagner generally needs to improve defensively and in face offs.

B. Admit that Arco is crushing Gagner in those areas.

If Gagner could play even remotely as well as Arco has defensively, positioning, play making, or in the face off circle we would be looking at #1 center in Gagner. Not a #2center with little trade value on a team headed for its 4th? straight bottom 7 finish.

If Arco can up his game and score some goals Gagner will be bumped from the center position for sure and maybe eventually off the team.

So yeah. Blind is the perfect word.

I see most people with cautious optimism for Arcobello.

To think Arco has been anything short of amazing in his first NHL season is.... rather embarrassingly bad hockey sense.

"3rd rookie in last 20 years to record 10 assists in teams first 10 games of the season. (Crosby, Kane) @EliasSport"

This will be my last post on the subject. I am not sure if I am just being trolled now or if you actually believe the BS your selling.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Call it overselling by omission.

B. Admit that Arco is crushing Gagner in those areas.

If Gagner could play even remotely as well as Arco has defensively, positioning, play making, or in the face off circle we would be looking at #1 center in Gagner. Not a #2center with little trade value on a team headed for its 4th? straight bottom 7 finish.

If Arco can up his game and score some goals Gagner will be bumped from the center position for sure and maybe eventually off the team.

So yeah. Blind is the perfect word.

I see most people with cautious optimism for Arcobello.

To think Arco has been anything short of amazing in his first NHL season is.... rather embarrassingly bad hockey sense.

"3rd rookie in last 20 years to record 10 assists in teams first 10 games of the season. (Crosby, Kane) @EliasSport"

This will be my last post on the subject. I am not sure if I am just being trolled now or if you actually believe the BS your selling.

The fact that you don't even think Arcobello can maintain this kind of play over a long stretch makes me think I'm the one getting trolled.

Also I have no idea what B.S. I'm supposedly selling, unless you think the fact that Gagner has done more at a younger age than Arcobello is a fiction.

Meh. Whatever.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Hmmm, what about swapping Acro with Gagner?

Gagner is on the "third" line with Smyth and Hemsky.

The lines have been in a blender since the start of the season, there's almost no doubt in my mind that Gagner ends up spending time centering all the top 9 forwards on the team.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

I'm obviously getting called out by you for being far too pro-Gagner. So here's the tire pumping you so desperately desire:

Gagner needs to get better defensively. Same goes for the whole damn collection of forwards the Oilers have. Not to mention the blueliners, we could handle having a few of those guys tighten up their play without the puck as well.

As for the second bit, considering that Gagner hasn`t played a single game this year, I find it pretty hard to pin the bad start to the season on his defensive play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad