Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
eZj8kr6.png

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Stick swinging is not as prevalent now in this era as it once was back when fighting and enforcing were more important to teams and the NHL culture. The threat of being punched didn't deter *****ebag play.
So when was the last stick fight you saw?

And the idea that a deterrent has to work 100 percent of the time is idiotic. And you know who disagrees with your last statement? 95 percent of all players past and present,

If you are not sure who that demographic is, it's the only people with skin in the game. Not the guys sitting in their lazy boys demanding that the players do something, anything, to maximize their personal enjoyment.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'm a fight fan. The elite top line scorer never has to fight the 3rd line player. Eller had his chance when they squared up last time even with Marchand getting the jump. 5'9 Marchand, nearly any other player would at least ragdoll him. I expect even Krejci could.
So elite first line players can run the goalie and them get to choose with whom they will go?

Hells no. You know better than that. You cross the line, you don't get to choose your opponent ( think Brooks orpik).

You want to only fight guys were you can get a jump on them, it makes you a spotpicking little punk or a coward. In this case a guy who turtles at the hands of lars freaking eller.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I think if Ekblad challenged Domi to a fight and Domi skated away there were be comparable backlash.

You can’t jump an unwilling combatant and then next time skate off when they come at you proper and not earn the backlash.

This isn’t a straight up “ I don’t want to fight” . This is someone weaseling out of jumping a guy

This is someone getting a powerplay out of this situation for his trailing team.

Reactions: Ladyfan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I'm a fight fan. The elite top line scorer never has to fight the 3rd line player. Eller had his chance when they squared up last time even with Marchand getting the jump. 5'9 Marchand, nearly any other player would at least ragdoll him. I expect even Krejci could.

I like the way you used real generalized phrases to try and make this a simple, cut and dry matter. Usually the scorer doesn't have to fight players on lower lines, but then usually the scorer doesn't have so many more career fights than the guy challenging him. Usually the scorer doesn't make himself fair game by forcing a fight last time the two played, either. There's no part of "the Code" Marchand can hide behind here in either direction, really.

In fact I don't even really understand much of his "close game" argument either. Team pretty clearly could have used a spark, so he should have just thrown with Eller if he thought he could beat him. Wasn't doing much else for his team except making them answer for him, which I'm sure is in no way tiresome after a while.

Nope, he declined because there's about a 90% chance he gets smoked going clean against Eller and the only thing more embarrassing than keeping the streak alive is doing it with an ice bag on your face.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
So when was the last stick fight you saw?

And the idea that a deterrent has to work 100 percent of the time is idiotic. And you know who disagrees with your last statement? 95 percent of all players past and present,

If you are not sure who that demographic is, it's the only people with skin in the game. Not the guys sitting in their lazy boys demanding that the players do something, anything, to maximize their personal enjoyment.

The idea that there is a code or that fighting is a deterrent to stick swinging and pests/rats are two of the biggest fallacies in hockey and yes, even players believe in their own BS.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Shouldn't Bruins fans be calling out Marchand ? That's what they promised they'd do for years if they ever had a player like that. I was expecting more of them dropping their fandoms by now.
Like most fanbases, not everyone thinks the same. Some have. Some change their opinions based on laundry. No different from any other fanbase.

Reno

Jan 21, 2007
Lars should have just started throwing punches anyway. It's what Marchand would have done.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Classic bruins fans, spend 20 pages defending Marchand being a *****. Then post a video of Eller not fighting Hayes in the last few minutes of a 4-1 game and try to mock him.
Watching that video I see that more as added reasoning for Marchand's cowardice - I like Eller, but dude CANNOT fight.

If Marchand had answered the bell and kicked the shit out of Eller that would have sparked his team and shut the Caps up - if he'd have done that Bruins fans would have been lauding his bravery.

Marchand is gutless. What's new?

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Star players fight stars. The fact marchand fought Eller earlier shows he was willing to punch down once, but he shouldn’t be expected to fight every plug that wants to go. If he shook off backstrom then I’d say marchand was in the wrong. But he didn’t. So I won’t

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Star players fight stars. The fact marchand fought Eller earlier shows he was willing to punch down once, but he shouldn’t be expected to fight every plug that wants to go. If he shook off backstrom then I’d say marchand was in the wrong. But he didn’t. So I won’t
In 2012-13, Brooks Orpik was 3rd among PITT D in ice time per game. Shawn Thornton was 30th out of 32 players who played for Boston that year in ice time per game.

Thus, you were totally cool with Orpik not punching down when challenged. Correct?

Reactions: Koized

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Lars Eller......:laugh::laugh:

There’s one lesson and one lesson only. Don’t show up another teams bench when you’re beating them 7-0, or whatever it was. Bad things happen and no one owes you a re-do after the fact.

He was an ass, he got fed a couple of heavy shots, and one would think lesson learned.

Instead Lars and TJ Ohmyface — one of biggest embellishers there is — think this is Bob Probert and Marty McSorely where one tough guy “owes” the other guy another go due to the “code”.

Again, the only code in the League these days is don’t be an ass and show up the other teams bench.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Terrible analogy. Maybe Lars just isn't a good fighter no matter what situation he is in. Even better... how about you watch the fight again. I was able to count 5 seconds of holding after Lars dropped his gloves without a punch being thrown and Lars threw the first punch at that 5 second mark. Then he got rocked by Marchand. If Marchand jumped him, he did a terrible job of letting him recover for a full 5 seconds.

The irony of you complaining about other people having blinders is hilarious

What does Eller's fighting skills have to do with the fact that Marchand jumped him? Why are you mixing those cards? Yes, Eller appears to be an awful fighter, so what? Marchand came in from the side and grabbed Eller's jersey, then grabbed his helmet. That is textbook jumping someone. He didn't challenge Eller, he jumped him. If someone has a grab on your jersey, that could be an unfair advantage. Eller also wasn't given the chance to turn down the fight, as he was already grabbed by the jersey. He basically had the options to either fight back or turtle, and he chose to fight back.

I know some Bruins fans thinks everyone hates Marchand, but some of us are just calling a spade a spade. He's a player with a history of dirty plays, having concussed at least Sami Salo (by clipping his legs so he landed on his head) and Marcus Johansson (flying elbow to the head). He also speared a player right in the nuts (Dotchin). He also has a history with some of the most clownish dives the league has ever seen (in the 2012 playoffs against the Capitals). Even when he was hit himself by a legitimate dirty check (by Landeskog) he instinctively rotated his body in a diving motion as if he was trying to impersonate rotating helicopter blades.

Why are we not allowed to spell out that Marchand is a dirty player when the proof is right in front of our eyes? Because he plays on your favorite team?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
really shows how hollow the words are from boston fans about matt cooke, they support this guy anyway and "the code" never meant anything. glad they lost their last good player, it's their punishment for employing marchand

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Again, the only code in the League these days is don’t be an ass and show up the other teams bench.

Who says that is the only code in league these days? Jack Edwards? Interesting to see it's always your favorite team who decides what the code is. Almost like in kindergarten where you had that kid who always went around hitting other kids, but when he got hit back he always ran to the adults crying about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad