Marchand Refuses to fight Against Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
Actually, as an older guy here, I look at this whole Marchand thing from a slightly different perspective. Some day, his kids and his grandchildren will look at his antics on YouTube, and they will cringe. And when that happens, he'll wish he had been different.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
and like lemieux marchand is a winner and it pisses everyone off

When Lemieux turtled against Neely there wasn't a single person in the 5 New England states calling him a winner.

That's the point. People use all sorts of slurs when it's somebody else doing it, but when it's a guy on their team all of a sudden it's a point of honor that he turtled and outsmarted Eller.

Reactions: Beville

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
There is a difference between defending him & explaining his actions (some fans don't agree with his actions but that's not the point).

1) Eller chirped Boston bench during a blowout, everyone knows that wasn't going sit well with any team. Brad showed him it was unacceptable to do such things. A fight that didn't go well for the larger man, no doubt his was embarressed afterwards. Brad considers the issue resolved, the only reason Brad would fight Eller in this case was bc of the blowout chirping, otherwise Brad wouldn't consider fighting a significantly lesser player like Eller.

2) Eller challenages Brad to another fight, Brad has zero motivation to fight a lesser player and remove himself from the game for 5 mins and risk injury.....over nothing at this point other then Ellers bruised ego (in Brads mind).

3) We all acknowledge that Brad is a pest & rat.....largely without honour or following the traditional hockey code......so why would anyone expect him to fight Eller the 2nd time for zero reason in Brads mind other then Ellers bruised ego. Logic & history would tell us Brad wasn't going to drop the gloves at that point.

4) Absolutely Brad was expecting retaliation from Eller or some other player......Brad being the pest he is played Eller perfectly as a pest. You can bet one day in the future at a time of Brads choosing he will goat Eller into another retaliation pen helping the Bruins. Plus if Brad ever fights him again it very likely will be when Brad wants to fight him.......not when Eller wants it.

Explaining & understanding Brads actions isn't defending his actions.
So he chirped the bench, big deal. They are supposedly grown men, if they can't handle a little chirp in a blowout then, perhaps, they should play better. Eller did not deserve to be jumped by a guy, he should be embarrassed by his behaviour (so should anyone who supports his antics).

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Actually, as an older guy here, I look at this whole Marchand thing from a slightly different perspective. Some day, his kids and his grandchildren will look at his antics on YouTube, and they will cringe. And when that happens, he'll wish he had been different.

Those kids and grandchildren will likely live a life better than 99% of people because their dad/grandpa made 67 million dollars playing a game. I'm sure when they get old and wise like you they will see a guy who gave them opportunities that most could only dream of. And I"m not sure they will fixate on the dozen or so really bad incidents he had over his career instead of all the good he does both on the ice and off it.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
So he chirped the bench, big deal. They are supposedly grown men, if they can't handle a little chirp in a blowout then, perhaps, they should play better. Eller did not deserve to be jumped by a guy, he should be embarrassed by his behaviour (so should anyone who supports his antics).

Again your judging his actions, I’m only explaining them. Feel free to hate him, albeit that’s what pests want.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If Nashville was in the EC, Marchand's picture would be in my toilet. I would never want him on the Preds!

I was a Bruins fan as a kid. They were tough (Orr, Cashman, Green, McKenzie, Sanderson, Awrey), but never gutless goons a la Marchand.

Maybe Eller needs to back jump him in a future game to even the score against Mr. Lick-your-face.

There is a code, but only if you have any honor!
You have Zac Rinaldo playing for your team!!!!

Get a gripe it’s a long fall sitting on that high horse of yours.

Plus, while we’re at it, I love PK as a player but he’s a bit of a turtler, no????

Too easy..........

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Plus, while we’re at it, I love PK as a player but he’s a bit of a turtler, no????

Too easy..........

Comparing Marchand to anybody else except Todd Burtuzzi is a total failure!

Why do you think that this thread is running for TWENTY-NINE pages so far?

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
When Lemieux turtled against Neely there wasn't a single person in the 5 New England states calling him a winner.

That's the point. People use all sorts of slurs when it's somebody else doing it, but when it's a guy on their team all of a sudden it's a point of honor that he turtled and outsmarted Eller.
Lol, I thought you hated fighting. Huh.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples

Or maybe they will be quite proud to say that their father/grandfather went from being an undersized 4th liner drafted in the third round to being a cup winning all star playing on a line with one of the greatest two way forwards in history of the sport?

The guy definitely has a resume of gutless on ice antics, but let’s pump the brakes on this narrative of him bringing great shame to future generations of his family. :laugh:

Reactions: CamMac

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Or maybe they will be quite proud to say that their father/grandfather went from being an undersized 4th liner drafted in the third round to being a cup winning all star playing on a line with one of the greatest two way forwards in history of the sport?

The guy definitely has a resume of gutless on ice antics, but let’s pump the brakes on this narrative of him bringing great shame to future generations of his family. :laugh:
Same with Trump. It's a great honor to be a president.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Lol, I thought you hated fighting. Huh.
Right. I said I don't find any fault with what Marchand did. Nobody is obliged to break a rule.
What I find fault with is people who try to make a sporting event into a morality play, where the other team is filled with snivelling weasels who backdown and refuse to play with honor, but when their guy does the same exact thing they say "See how smart he is? See how he is in your mind?"

Hope that clears up your "huh" confusion.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Too easy..........
PK is a superstar. He doesn't have to fight against any non-Norris trophy level players. At least, that's what the rationale in this thread seems to be.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
If Nashville was in the EC, Marchand's picture would be in my toilet. I would never want him on the Preds!

I was a Bruins fan as a kid. They were tough (Orr, Cashman, Green, McKenzie, Sanderson, Awrey), but never gutless goons a la Marchand.

Maybe Eller needs to back jump him in a future game to even the score against Mr. Lick-your-face.

There is a code, but only if you have any honor!

Your team has Subban....

Reactions: weinsink

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Right. I said I don't find any fault with what Marchand did. Nobody is obliged to break a rule.
What I find fault with is people who try to make a sporting event into a morality play, where the other team is filled with snivelling weasels who backdown and refuse to play with honor, but when their guy does the same exact thing they say "See how smart he is? See how he is in your mind?"

Hope that clears up your "huh" confusion.

All you’ve brought here are hypotheticals and cries of “hypocrites!” Find us the last 29 page thread (or any really) of the “other side” complaining about a guy refusing a fight.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Wow, dramatic forecast right here.

In my experience, when folks get to old age, they couldn't care any less about stuff like this. You know, seeing a lot of crap in one's life kinda tends to put things into perspective. I think Marchy and his offsprings will be a-ok in regards to this.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Lars should have taken a page from the 2009 playoffs where Scotty Walker threw down the mitts and landed a right hook to the jaw of Aaron Ward in a single motion, rather than giving him the time to turtle.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Lars should have taken a page from the 2009 playoffs where Scotty Walker threw down the mitts and landed a right hook to the jaw of Aaron Ward in a single motion, rather than giving him the time to turtle.
The Marchand example ( on lars eller) this season is probably a more apt comparison, no?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
All you’ve brought here are hypotheticals and cries of “hypocrites!” Find us the last 29 page thread (or any really) of the “other side” complaining about a guy refusing a fight.
Well why would they be complaining about a guy refusing to fight in this thread, when they are actually defending it?

But one need not look hard to find it. Check any GDT . For instance, take a gander at the DET/BOS 10/13 GDT and what was said about Dylan Larkin when he "refused" to fight. I didn't see any "Dylan Larkin is a top line player, Noel Acciari is a 4th line slug. He doesn't need to fight him".

Instead I see "gutless puke", "wuss", "piss off", **** you Larkin, Larkin is a ****ing *****, punk, ****ing moron, "not a stand up guy", "cowardly", "embarassing", "fake tough guy".

Starts on page 9, continues at least until page 10, I stopped reading.

So there you go.... now please proceed to move the goalposts and don't bother acknowledging that I took your task and found what you challenged me to find.

GDT: - 10/13 - Game 5 - Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings - *3pm* ET - NESN, 98.5 FM, FS-D, WXYT-FM 97.1''

BTW, I'm sure I'd find the same thing in any team's thread, which is what I said from the start. This is not at all in anyway unique to the B's... don't be so sensy.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Well why would they be complaining about a guy refusing to fight in this thread, when they are actually defending it?

But one need not look hard to find it. Check any GDT . For instance, take a gander at the DET/BOS 10/13 GDT and what was said about Dylan Larkin when he "refused" to fight. I didn't see any "Dylan Larkin is a top line player, Noel Acciari is a 4th line slug. He doesn't need to fight him".

Instead I see "gutless puke", "wuss", "piss off", **** you Larkin, Larkin is a ****ing *****, punk, ****ing moron, "not a stand up guy", "cowardly", "embarassing", "fake tough guy".

So there you go.... now please proceed to move the goalposts and don't bother acknowledging that I took your task and found what you challenged me to find.

GDT: - 10/13 - Game 5 - Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings - *3pm* ET - NESN, 98.5 FM, FS-D, WXYT-FM 97.1''

BTW, I'm sure I'd find the same thing in any team's thread, which is what I said from the start. This is not at all in anyway unique to the B's... don't be so sensy.

Any thread when 4th line (at the time) Lucic kept trying to fight Subban/Komisarek.

Bs fans calling those players the same names because they wouldn't waste their time fighting a plug.

Then Lucic starts scoring 20+ goals and those same fans didn't want him fighting the useless plugs of the league.

Very hypocritical

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Asked for “a 29 page thread (or any really)l and the best you can do is couple of posts on a gametime thread from three months ago on a teams forum. Give the “hypocrites!” shit a rest ... talk about a morality play

Reactions: CamMac
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad