Marchand Refuses to fight Against Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What does Eller's fighting skills have to do with the fact that Marchand jumped him? Why are you mixing those cards? Yes, Eller appears to be an awful fighter, so what? Marchand came in from the side and grabbed Eller's jersey, then grabbed his helmet. That is textbook jumping someone. He didn't challenge Eller, he jumped him. If someone has a grab on your jersey, that could be an unfair advantage. Eller also wasn't given the chance to turn down the fight, as he was already grabbed by the jersey. He basically had the options to either fight back or turtle, and he chose to fight back.

I know some Bruins fans thinks everyone hates Marchand, but some of us are just calling a spade a spade. He's a player with a history of dirty plays, having concussed at least Sami Salo (by clipping his legs so he landed on his head) and Marcus Johansson (flying elbow to the head). He also speared a player right in the nuts (Dotchin). He also has a history with some of the most clownish dives the league has ever seen (in the 2012 playoffs against the Capitals). Even when he was hit himself by a legitimate dirty check (by Landeskog) he instinctively rotated his body in a diving motion as if he was trying to impersonate rotating helicopter blades.

Why are we not allowed to spell out that Marchand is a dirty player when the proof is right in front of our eyes? Because he plays on your favorite team?

This thread separates the fans of good hard hockey and the Edwards Cult Initiates that truly believe that Bruins players can do wrong. How could they? They are warriors in the service of the Spoked B. Their vengeance is just, their actions cannot be judged by mere mortals.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Who says that is the only code in league these days? Jack Edwards? Interesting to see it's always your favorite team who decides what the code is. Almost like in kindergarten where you had that kid who always went around hitting other kids, but when he got hit back he always ran to the adults crying about it.
Absolutely. The whole “code” thing is a thing of past. Not sure what one Eller is talking about.

I agree completely with your analogy. Eller pulls a bush league move and pays a price. Then, when he can’t somehow restore his “tough guy honor” the next game, he cries to the media and via Twitter.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Terrible analogy. Maybe Lars just isn't a good fighter no matter what situation he is in. Even better... how about you watch the fight again. I was able to count 5 seconds of holding after Lars dropped his gloves without a punch being thrown and Lars threw the first punch at that 5 second mark. Then he got rocked by Marchand. If Marchand jumped him, he did a terrible job of letting him recover for a full 5 seconds.

Helmet already off, already been punched multiple times, and the big one if you know anything about hockey fights: never got his grab hand glove off and had an absolutely shit grip on Marchand's right shoulder because of it.

Marchand got himself almost every advantage he could by jumping him.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Yes Marchand sucker punched and forced Eller into a fight, and could have serious injured him like the Domi incident (his initial hard punch before Eller even dropped his gloves just barely missed)

Yes Marchand was smart to draw the penalty there (come on Caps fans, we saw and loved Wilson doing this all playoffs).

That said, though I’d have preferred Eller forget about it completely, if he really wanted to “get even” he should have just waited for Marchand to do anything Marchand-ish and punch him. The league allows that when somebody is mean apparently.

CamMac

Jan 3, 2015
Helmet already off, already been punched multiple times, and the big one if you know anything about hockey fights: never got his grab hand glove off and had an absolutely **** grip on Marchand's right shoulder because of it.

Marchand got himself almost every advantage he could by jumping him.
Jack Edwards said it was clean and he’s right about everything so I have no idea what you’re bitching about..

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
As soon as one compares Cooke, all credibility is immediately lost.
Comparing the overall player, I agree with you completely, but that particular incident was bad no matter how you slice it. It was on the level of Cooke

A professional league shouldn’t allow attacks from supposedly mature adults if its trying to appeal to the average person anyway (And like it or not kids are watching and will emulate the ethics of their idols), or **if it cares about players health** as I know everybody on HF does so bad...and aside from that it’s just a bad look.
I don’t care if “it’s hockey not real life”... that’s just dumb. The incident and justification are just as bad as if they happened in “real life” and could easily happen in “real life” too (And it did...)

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Comparing the overall player, I agree with you completely, but that particular incident was bad no matter how you slice it. It was on the level of Cooke

A professional league shouldn’t allow attacks from supposedly mature adults if its trying to appeal to the average person anyway (And like it or not kids are watching and will emulate the ethics of their idols), or **if it cares about players health** as I know everybody on HF does so bad...and aside from that it’s just a bad look.
I don’t care if “it’s hockey not real life”... that’s just dumb. The incident and justification are just as bad as if they happened in “real life” and could easily happen in “real life” too (And it did...)

We see players force a fight (or used to). And like it or not, despite Marchand jumping Eller, they had a square up moment where Eller had every fair opportunity in the world to pummel Marchand. He couldn't and I will continue to maintain THAT is what this entire episode is about (from Eller's point of view). Losing a fight, however unfair, to Marchand is a bit of an insult.

If anything the elbow on the NJ player was more Matt Cooke than anything. I really don't see the reason this thread even was created still, besides "Marchand". I have a feeling if it were between Washington and Boston fans it would be long since dead but it's so easy to pile on Marchand for his past.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Eller didn't need to honor him not wanting to go. But he would have had to have been willing to watch his teammates likely kill a five minute penalty. The Caps own the Bruins, on a 13 game winning streak (now 14) as his teammates I would have told him make him go, we will kill the penalty. I mean I would have poured salt in the wound it is a gamble but going out of there and doing that while stamping the 14th win is what I would have tried.

Marchand opened himself up to that, we will see what happens in a bigger blowout down the line. I mean the Caps aren't exactly lacking in top 6 "star players" that can fight and massively outweigh Marchand. Imagine Wilson or Ovechkin just grabbing him and beating him without him wanting to go. I doubt this is finished and that is what Marchand's behavior brings at times. To be continued in my opinion.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Lars Eller drops his gloves but Brad Marchand refuses to fight

After the first game of the season Marchand jumped Eller and cut him up pretty bad. Eller tries to respond with a fair challenge to Marchand tonight and he just turtles. Afterwards Eller says “Everyone saw what he is. ... There’s not a lot of integrity in his game.”

Did Marchand violate the code of the game here or are we in a new era where all that hockey code stuff is dead?
I'm a Caps and I cant stand Marchand but he didnt need to fight Eller at that point in the game. Marchand ended up drawing a penalty which was what he was looking for.
Its probably better for Eller that Marchand didnt drop the gloves. He would have been embarrassed again.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Lars Eller......:laugh::laugh:

There’s one lesson and one lesson only. Don’t show up another teams bench when you’re beating them 7-0, or whatever it was. Bad things happen and no one owes you a re-do after the fact.

He was an ass, he got fed a couple of heavy shots, and one would think lesson learned.

Instead Lars and TJ Ohmyface — one of biggest embellishers there is — think this is Bob Probert and Marty McSorely where one tough guy “owes” the other guy another go due to the “code”.

Again, the only code in the League these days is don’t be an ass and show up the other teams bench.

You're still buying into this, huh?

The only code in the league actually seems to be whichever version is convenient for folk like you and players like Marchand on any given day.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Oh god, the hyperbolic vitriol streaming through this thread. Keep being fantastic Marchand-haters.

I have no problem with Marchand turtling.

I have a problem with fans whining incessantly in GDT's about OTHER players turtling while making up excuses when their guy does it. I know I'm like Cpt. Renault and shocked to find this, but it still is pretty transparently fraudulent.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
We see players force a fight (or used to). And like it or not, despite Marchand jumping Eller, they had a square up moment where Eller had every fair opportunity in the world to pummel Marchand. He couldn't and I will continue to maintain THAT is what this entire episode is about (from Eller's point of view). Losing a fight, however unfair, to Marchand is a bit of an insult.

If anything the elbow on the NJ player was more Matt Cooke than anything. I really don't see the reason this thread even was created still, besides "Marchand". I have a feeling if it were between Washington and Boston fans it would be long since dead but it's so easy to pile on Marchand for his past.
Squaring up doesn’t mean shit in this context... he had no choice, and no I’ve not seen many forced fights in this era. I’ve seen players push for it hard but will eventually get a penalty if the other guy resists.

Players don’t grab someone from behind and start swinging immediately. The issue is that he could have injured Eller. And unsuspecting player, off balance, with his gloves on and hands down unable to protect himself... he and Marchand both were lucky that particular initial swing missed because it easily could have been bad, as any sucker punch.

Yea, I’m sure Eller wouldn’t be so mad if Marchand didn’t land a single punch (who wouldn’t feel little differently?)... but he probably also wouldn’t be mad about losing if he ever had a choice in the fight (that had already started before the square up)
——————————
This league and anyone who pretends to care about players health are hypocrites if they back this... the league “cares about player injuries” but doesn’t care about preventing them... only punish the result not the action, which doesn’t dissuade similar incidents. Same shit with players body slamming others to ice; it should be well known from this season alone players can get concussions or other.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Orpik is and has always been a plug. Orpik is closer to Shawn Thornton than Eller will ever be to Marchand. Marchand is a top 10 LW in the NHL. When was Orpik a top 10 anything?
Ok let's try this. If Tom Wilson wants to fight Danton Heinen, Heinen is totally obliged to since Wilson has more pts and is more of a star than him.

Does that really make sense? Is this really the threshold for when a player is gutless for turning down a fight or is forced to accept one? What is the point differential between players that at which point it becomes the tipping point?

I feel like some are making up the rules as they go and constantly changing them.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Lars Eller......:laugh::laugh:

There’s one lesson and one lesson only. Don’t show up another teams bench when you’re beating them 7-0, or whatever it was. Bad things happen and no one owes you a re-do after the fact.

He was an ass, he got fed a couple of heavy shots, and one would think lesson learned.

Instead Lars and TJ Ohmyface — one of biggest embellishers there is — think this is Bob Probert and Marty McSorely where one tough guy “owes” the other guy another go due to the “code”.

Again, the only code in the League these days is don’t be an ass and show up the other teams bench.
But forcing the issue is okay if you are Marchand who, coincidentally, is thyeonly one in the league who gets to decide not to settle in what would have been a much fairer fight.

Your 20 minute a game star is ducking lars freaking eller. Rationalize it all you like, that's still a very bad look.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'm a Caps and I cant stand Marchand but he didnt need to fight Eller at that point in the game. Marchand ended up drawing a penalty which was what he was looking for.
Its probably better for Eller that Marchand didnt drop the gloves. He would have been embarrassed again.
If Marchand is gonna duck him, I guess we will never know.

But they will meet again, and if Marchand decides ( based on the situation) to finally settle that makes him, by definition, a spotpicker.

He's either a spot picker or afraid of lars eller. Your choice.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
But forcing the issue is okay if you are Marchand who, coincidentally, is thyeonly one in the league who gets to decide not to settle in what would have been a much fairer fight.

Your 20 minute a game star is ducking lars freaking eller. Rationalize it all you like, that's still a very bad look.

A superstar skill, 5'9 player not fighting a 3rd line 6'2 player. Not such a bad look after all.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Marchand reminded me of guys like Ribeiro or Claude Lemieux in there. We don't have the big bad Bruins we used to see, can't even handle a danish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad