Marchand Refuses to fight Against Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The league could eliminate all these cheap things, retaliation stuff, fights, all of it, if it wanted to, and turn it into, I dunno, volleyball or something. But the league likes its edgy thing it has had going for a hundred years or so. The league honestly doesn't even care one bit about players brains, but they do care about losing multi billion dollar lawsuits so they try halfheartedly to protect players heads.

The fact that a fight gets you 5 out of 60 minutes in the box shows just how little the NHL wants to remove fighting, and so the "code" lives on.
so like I said, the league sucks :laugh: It's in a shitty middle ground where they won't enforce the rules, except for the ones that prevent the players from enforcing the rules :laugh:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
why does it work in every other sport? Because the league does a better job of dealing with the people causing the problems, so they don't need the players to enforce the rules. Seriously, what happens when a football player throws a punch? He's ejected. Simple as that. The NHL needs to actually enforce it's own rules like very other sports league seems to be able to do.
Football players don't play in confined spaces with knives on their feet, clubs in their hands and malice in their black hearts.

And for more than 150 years, hockey players have decided that when beefs occur the honorable thing to do is square off, get consent, and go under very very well defined expectations of conduct.

I know 150 years doesn't really compare to your hypothetical of how it should be especially when the comparable is a completely different sport like football.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
why does it work in every other sport? Because the league does a better job of dealing with the people causing the problems, so they don't need the players to enforce the rules. Seriously, what happens when a football player throws a punch? He's ejected. Simple as that. The NHL needs to actually enforce it's own rules like very other sports league seems to be able to do.
You mean a 5 min major for fighting? That enforcement of the rules?
Or the rules that have never existed that says we kick fighters out becuase football does?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The league could eliminate all these cheap things, retaliation stuff, fights, all of it, if it wanted to, and turn it into, I dunno, volleyball or something. But the league likes its edgy thing it has had going for a hundred years or so. The league honestly doesn't even care one bit about players brains, but they do care about losing multi billion dollar lawsuits so they try halfheartedly to protect players heads.

The fact that a fight gets you 5 out of 60 minutes in the box shows just how little the NHL wants to remove fighting, and so the "code" lives on.
The league could do no such thing becuase they are partners with the pa.

If only we knew whether the players themselves want the opportunity to self police.

I guess we will never know.

Additionally I guess the owners COULD lock the players out over fighting. Have you ever seen what the customers do in nhl arenas when a fight breaks out?

Again it's a complete mystery that will likely never be solved.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Football players don't play in confined spaces with knives on their feet, clubs in their hands and malice in their black hearts.

And for more than 150 years, hockey players have decided that when beefs occur the honorable thing to do is square off, get consent, and go under very very well defined expectations of conduct.

I know 150 years doesn't really compare to your hypothetical of how it should be especially when the comparable is a completely different sport like football.
Yeah, consent. And if a guy doesn't consent? Apparently people get mad.

And seriously, what do skates have to do with it? :Laugh: knives on their feet :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You mean a 5 min major for fighting? That enforcement of the rules?
Or the rules that have never existed that says we kick fighters out becuase football does?
I'm not saying kick fighters out. I'm saying enforce the rules that get broken in the first place, resulting in the need for a fight.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I love the idea that the unwritten, unspoken rules were very well defined and consistent throughout 150 years. If a rule doesn't get written down, it's not important and can be dispensed with the moment it's inconvenient. This is how the code worked.

I watched hockey in that era. The code of conduct was that if the other team did anything you didn't like you were allowed to do anything you wanted, for as many games or years as you wanted. The code was that if you thought the other team broke the code, you didn't have to follow the code; and teams would enter games believing the other team had already broken the code. The code did not exist to prevent violence but to justify it.

I think it's lovely when people who care about honor, order, respect and fidelity get addicted to bloodsport culture and lose the ability to discern anarchy from justice. Justice means you're right because you're right. The code means you're right if you're strong enough to overpower resistance. The code cannot punish wickedness, only weakness.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah, consent. And if a guy doesn't consent? Apparently people get mad.
You don't take liberties, you have very very little to worry about.

How is that bad again?

You do take liberties? Your reticence might be noted, but it need not be respected

( you know how Marchand forced it on eller, that's what it looks like)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You don't take liberties, you have very very little to worry about.

How is that bad again?

You do take liberties? Your reticence might be noted, but it need not be respected

( you know how Marchand forced it on eller, that's what it looks like)
I hate Marchand for what it's worth.

And the line is so blurred on what is a liberty these days. Are you allowed to make a big clean hit without fighting? You used to have to fight for touching Gretzky.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'm not saying kick fighters out. I'm saying enforce the rules that get broken in the first place, resulting in the need for a fight.
Yes in a game played in confined spaces at speed by men encouraged to slam into each other, a whistle is all that is needed to squash each and every beef.

It's amazing we haven't solved the middle east problem with a whistle.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I hate Marchand for what it's worth.

And the line is so blurred on what is a liberty these days. Are you allowed to make a big clean hit without fighting?
Forcing a guy who wants nothing to do with you to fight, that's a pretty easy line to see if it's crossed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes in a game played in confined spaces at speed by men encouraged to slam into each other, a whistle is all that is needed to squash each and every beef.

It's amazing we haven't solved the middle east problem with a whistle.
The confined space really means nothing. Other Sports have contact too. If a whistle doesn't work, suspend them.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What a chicken

Larsy will whoop him Super Bowl Sunday rematch

Get over the 7-0 taunt Broons fans

Pappy always said ‘if you don’t want to be taunted don’t be down 7-o’

Caps are the champs !!!

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
And forcing him to fight is the obvious punishment for a crime such as forcing someone to fight :laugh: you can't make this kind of logic up :laugh:
No allowing one guy to force the issue and then giving him the option to decline is sooooo much more equitable.

Everyone is equal, its just that some are more equal than others, I guess.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No allowing one guy to force the issue and then giving him the option to decline is sooooo much more equitable.

Everyone is equal, its just that some are more equal than others, I guess.
What I'm saying is that allowing it the first time is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad