Marc Bergevin: Offseason Summertime Love Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
What do you want him to do. That way it is out in the open in case he does do it you don’t go back on your word just to degrade him.

I can see a Corey Perry prove it deal. He has mitts, size and sniper. Could help pp plus add vet to the group. I would take a flyer.

I’d like improvement on the point. Left side though. Subban was had on the cheap but I think it is becoming clear that he is a lockeroom cancer. There were murmurs of it here, then to be bounced out of Nashville for so little? I love the player don’t get me wrong. I was devastated when he was traded.

But habs need a dman for the left side. And perry could come in and help the transition to Suzuki

Subban was traded today for legitimate hockey reasons. Just because he has a big personality doesn’t mean that there’s actual scandal. Certainly he had a lot more positive things to say about Poile/Laviolette than he’s said about Bergevin/Therrien in 2016.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It seems cap space is worth a first in 2020 (unless you're Vancouver), if we can't land anyone in a position we need should we take a short term cap dump and get another first for next year?

Obviously...

But you're operating from the mindset that things like direction, vision, planning et. should be guiding how our organization is managed...

8yrs of evidence suggests that this is not how we roll

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I never said anything about fixing holes, so I don't know what you're disagreeing with. I'm stating a simple fact: Bergevin does have the summer to make moves. It was a response to a post saying he needs to get trades done today -- obviously he has the next three months to do... something. How is any of this a revelation?

From past seasons it appears that nothing much happens during the summer after UFA. It tends to be quiet until training camp, where there are sometimes significant trades.

There are key times for making moves. Draft, UFA, training camp, trade deadline. We just finished the draft and haven't addressed any current issues.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
From past seasons it appears that nothing much happens during the summer after UFA. It tends to be quiet until training camp, where there are sometimes significant trades.

There are key times for making moves. Draft, UFA, training camp, trade deadline. We just finished the draft and haven't addressed any current issues.
Bergevin has been holding onto his cards for a year; I'm predicting he gets busy this summer. The cap's lower than expected and Habs have space, so unlike last summer I'm confident he'll take a run at the UFA market and get a good player or two, though not Panarin or Duchene. I've been calling for Nyquist and Dzingel for awhile -- they're the type of solid top-six guys who could fit our budget and be interested in coming here.

And then there's the inevitable trade. I'm looking forward to a lot of yelling on our board.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Subban was traded today for legitimate hockey reasons. Just because he has a big personality doesn’t mean that there’s actual scandal. Certainly he had a lot more positive things to say about Poile/Laviolette than he’s said about Bergevin/Therrien in 2016.
Legitimate hockey reasons? Really? Is this what you're telling yourself. The more reasonable ones considered him a top 10 defensemen. The less reasonable ones would call him a generational D-man. When was the last time a top 10 defense man traded for 3x 2nd round picks and a fringe NHLer?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Bergevin has been holding onto his cards for a year; I'm predicting he gets busy this summer. The cap's lower than expected and Habs have space, so unlike last summer I'm confident he'll take a run at the UFA market and get a good player or two, though not Panarin or Duchene. I've been calling for Nyquist and Dzingel for awhile -- they're the type of solid top-six guys who could fit our budget and be interested in coming here.

And then there's the inevitable trade. I'm looking forward to a lot of yelling on our board.
I see those two as solid middle-six.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Legitimate hockey reasons? Really? Is this what you're telling yourself. The more reasonable ones considered him a top 10 defensemen. The less reasonable ones would call him a generational D-man. When was the last time a top 10 defense man traded for 3x 2nd round picks and a fringe NHLer?
Nashville are all in with Matt Duchene clearly.
Nashville have trouble scoring goals and their captain is due a raise. I would have traded Subban as well as Turris and Bonino are certainly not bringing in any value right now. It’s not unreasonable to think Duchene as a FA brings more balance to their roster as they have good young defensive prospects (as they always seem to do) coming up as well.

New Jersey just happen to benefit because there are in another division, another conference and Nashville were in a tight cap situation.

Funnily enough very few Preds fans seem to have a bad word to say about Subban , Chris Mason said to “keep being you”... it seems that it’s people with an inherent bias against him that are pushing this. Where’s your hard evidence?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Nashville have trouble scoring goals and their captain is due a raise. I would have traded Subban as well as Turris and Bonino are certainly not bringing in any value right now. It’s not unreasonable to think Duchene as a FA brings more balance to their roster as they have good young defensive prospects (as they always seem to do) coming up as well.

New Jersey just happen to benefit because there are in another division, another conference and Nashville were in a tight cap situation.

Funnily enough very few Preds fans seem to have a bad word to say about Subban , Chris Mason said to “keep being you”... it seems that it’s people with an inherent bias against him that are pushing this. Where’s your hard evidence?
The Preds will probably land MD, they needed space, they created it, a job well done by their GM. We have had a ton of space for 3 years now, and no one seems to want to even talk to us, outside of Alzner.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

The hard evidence is right in front of you.

I liked and like P.K. But you can't deny that a lot of his former team mates disliked him. Gallagher is an example of this. After he had that confrontation the last time Nashville was here, he said to reporters he was pissed at PK because he's always making it about himself. There was a lot of pent up resentment in Gally's words.

It's ironic you're saying they're unloading PK because they need offense. I thought that was one of his strengths. He was a defense man who drove the play.

But even if that was the real reason, you just don't throw away a top 10 defenseman for such a pitiful return

Reactions: scrubadam

WG

Sep 9, 2008

The only way adding another good-not-great winger makes sense is if it is paired with a trade of a surplus winger to get a top 4 LD.

The team can already use Gally/Tatar/Drouin/Shaw as top 6 wingers, I'm not sure GN/RD are significantly better than what we have now. At least not enough that you sign one of those guys as your centerpiece UFA acquisition and leave other glaring holes untouched.

Maybe the cap announcement cuts us a break, with the cap rising less than expected, maybe the cost on a legit impact F like Panarin comes down a little and he can be had for closer to 10M than 11M.

And I don't think we'll have as much yelling if there is a trade. MB's best trade chips now are wingers like Drouin and Shawzie that half the board won't terribly miss, I don't think anyone would be up in arms over Shaw plus pick plus prospect for a long term fix at LD.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If we have the Cap space, and we get a million dollar a year Cap break for Alzner being in the AHL, why in the world would we buy him out and stretch out how long he is on our book ?

The value of a $6.25M Cap dump is around a late 2020 1st, until it isnt. I thought it wohld be $8-$10M for a 1st, but even better.

It does make sense for MB to have held onto the Cap space to see if any target UFAs are interested in Montreal, at a Cap hit that makes sense.

For me, Panarin is the only guy I offer double digits too as he is a game changer and consistently elite point producer.

Really too bad there isnt a capable left D to fill in top pair because I dont think Gardiner is that guy. I would have signed Edler easy for his deal with the Nucks, but more in fact.

Our pressing need is a top pair LD ( not a top 4, a top pair ), or at least a guy who can fill the role okay. That guy ideally would help the PP. So Ghost would be good.

What MB needs to try to do is get a real good asset back gor our Cap space, which could in turn be packaged for the LHD we need.

Teams are in Cap trouble, MB needs to take advantage of it if we dont sign a UFA. If $6.25M is worth a late 1st, how much is $10 or$12 M worth ?We could float a Cap dump for 2 years in my view. We are in a great situation that way.

Reactions: Runner77

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
The hard evidence is right in front of you.

I liked and like P.K. But you can't deny that a lot of his former team mates disliked him. Gallagher is an example of this. After he had that confrontation the last time Nashville was here, he said to reporters he was pissed at PK because he's always making it about himself. There was a lot of pent up resentment in Gally's words.

It's ironic you're saying they're unloading PK because they need offense. I thought that was one of his strengths. He was a defense man who drove the play.

But even if that was the real reason, you just don't throw away a top 10 defenseman for such a pitiful return
What about the players who liked PK? Why does a trade need to resort to high school pettiness. It's obvious that Nashville has too much cap space wasted on D. It's obvious that Nashville needs help up front. It's obvious that Nashville is tight on cap space. If Nashville can't land a top Ufa forward, then they completely screwed up

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What about the players who liked PK? Why does a trade need to resort to high school pettiness. It's obvious that Nashville has too much cap space wasted on D. It's obvious that Nashville needs help up front. It's obvious that Nashville is tight on cap space. If Nashville can't land a top Ufa forward, then they completely screwed up
I won't continue this discussion in this thread because I don't want to make more work for the moderators. If you want to continue it let's do so in the out of town thread.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The only way adding another good-not-great winger makes sense is if it is paired with a trade of a surplus winger to get a top 4 LD.

The team can already use Gally/Tatar/Drouin/Shaw as top 6 wingers, I'm not sure GN/RD are significantly better than what we have now. At least not enough that you sign one of those guys as your centerpiece UFA acquisition and leave other glaring holes untouched.

Maybe the cap announcement cuts us a break, with the cap rising less than expected, maybe the cost on a legit impact F like Panarin comes down a little and he can be had for closer to 10M than 11M.

And I don't think we'll have as much yelling if there is a trade. MB's best trade chips now are wingers like Drouin and Shawzie that half the board won't terribly miss, I don't think anyone would be up in arms over Shaw plus pick plus prospect for a long term fix at LD.
I agree -- the cap situation should have an interesting effect on UFA contracts, especially as you move past Panarin, Duchene and Bobrovsky. Those elite players will still demand and receive their money, but the secondary guys -- the ones Montreal could realistically target -- might have to settle for a little less.

As to trades, I'd rather keep Shaw than Drouin. Shaw delivers at a solid and consistent level; Drouin promises more but delivers less. Let another team deal with his hypothetical promise.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What do you want him to do. That way it is out in the open in case he does do it you don’t go back on your word just to degrade him.

I can see a Corey Perry prove it deal. He has mitts, size and sniper. Could help pp plus add vet to the group. I would take a flyer.

I’d like improvement on the point. Left side though. Subban was had on the cheap but I think it is becoming clear that he is a lockeroom cancer. There were murmurs of it here, then to be bounced out of Nashville for so little? I love the player don’t get me wrong. I was devastated when he was traded.

But habs need a dman for the left side. And perry could come in and help the transition to Suzuki
It was a cap dump, pure and simple. Nashville need help up front and Subban's the most expensive they had on the back end. And I think we're going to see more of this going forward because the cap didn't go up as much as some teams expected. We'll see I guess.

Marleau was interesting, the Leafs gave up a first to be rid of him. This is the kind of thing we should've been doing the past couple of years... take on a bad contract to fill in that cap space and get picks/assets in return.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I feel like Bergevin's priority right now is to find a non bottom pairing left dman. By UFA, or trade, this is what he will focus on this summer.

But there is a much larger problem at hand. When you have price and weber in their 30s as the key guys on your team, and all indications point towards keeping them around, you are also implying that you are close to a cup, no matter the lip service given.

It's a team that is neither here or there, and its reflected in their standings this year, and they will probably continue the trend next year.

As much as it pains me to suggest trading a guy like weber, we should really rather be focusing on building around a guy like kotkaniemi right now.

Unfortunately, I don't see ownership accepting the idea of not making the playoffs, especially after 2 years of not making it. These are the constraints I feel that the GM/ VP is working under, and if he voices his concerns about it, he may well find himself on the same boat as Trevor linden.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Trade Weber for 2 2nds and a crappy player?

Unless you think Weber would get your a bigger return than PK Subban would? PK has a higher cap hit, but Webers contract goes till he is 40.

With TT's record since 2008 those 2nd's might as well be 9th round picks. I keep Weber over that return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad