Marc Bergevin: Offseason Summertime Love Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistaWa16

Sep 6, 2007
Montreal
It does nothing for Armia and Lehkonen. Completely unrelated. Labanc clearly took a hit for his GM. And while everybody praise him for being a team player, he's incredibly stupid if you ask me. If he injures seriously this season he's never going to see that money.

Actually an arbitrator will look at comparables. And the habs will surely use a contract like this to a 50pts guy to put some downward pressure. So it will bring down the median.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I personally want us to crash right from the beginning of the year. I want us to get slaughtered every single one of the first 10 games. At this point, it's painfully clear Molson will only fire Bergevin if the situation gets critical. If we crash hard in the first few games next season after Bergevin doing much of nothing in the offseason, there will be pressure from both inside and outside to fire Bergevin.

Another year of "almost making it" will not get Bergevin fired.
Carey Price might be the key to it all. He is sick of being on a bad hockey team and yes, I know that he signed a big contract but he could very have done that with assurances from MB that he would build a team that could contend for a cup. I would expect to see Julien be the first one to get the boot if what you said were to come true. I have wanted him fired for at least 5 years but it seems like it's impossible for us to get rid of him. It is amazing that he has been so bad for so long and still has his job.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Wrong condition

If Carey Price asks to be traded, then does Bergevin get fired?
giphy.gif

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Carey Price might be the key to it all. He is sick of being on a bad hockey team and yes, I know that he signed a big contract but he could very have done that with assurances from MB that he would build a team that could contend for a cup. I would expect to see Julien be the first one to get the boot if what you said were to come true. I have wanted him fired for at least 5 years but it seems like it's impossible for us to get rid of him. It is amazing that he has been so bad for so long and still has his job.
If that is true, then Price is stupid. He has seen a few years of the bin man's work, he should know he doesn't even have a middling team in him, let alone a contender.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If that is true, then Price is stupid. He has seen a few years of the bin man's work, he should know he doesn't even have a middling team in him, let alone a contender.
It’s true, you know things are bad when people are applauding the fact that we “almost “ made the playoffs. I am truly sick of it and my interest is at an all time low.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If Molson sees progress with the kids, I don’t see why he would fire him in a rebuild that is progressing even if they miss the playoffs.

Of course, that won’t last forever.
Because they would have missed the POs 4 times out of 5 years, and they never claimed to be going through a rebuild while Bergey has publicly stated on multiple occasions making the POs is always the objective. By his own standards, that would be 4 years of failing to reach his objective out of 5.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I'm never the biggest MB fan but you're all fairly critical for an offseason that still has 2 months left :laugh:
Ok. Except for last year name me the late summer acquisition?
Doug Murray? Alex semin?
And you’re laughing ? Tears Of ineptitude because big moves are not made late in summer
Last year was the exception cuz Pacioretty HAD to be traded. They tried at the draft and all summer.
So keep laughing man

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
If we miss the playoffs again this year, does he finally get fired?

Doubtful.

Bergevin has Molson wrapped around his finger, and has successfully sold him on the idea of this new "retool". I wouldn't be surprised if Molson gives MB another 5 year window to try and compete with his new upcoming core of prospects.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017

Preposterous feels like a better word

Reactions: OldCraig71

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
It’s true, you know things are bad when people are applauding the fact that we “almost “ made the playoffs. I am truly sick of it and my interest is at an all time low.

I think what people are applauding is that our young players all had career years, which led us to a halfway decent season. Caan you imagine if Gally had 15 goals, Danault failed horribly at 1/2C and Kotkaniemi had a down year in Laval? This place would be insufferable!

Everyone on this board wants the same thing, some people just have different ideas on how to get there. I choose to see last year as a stepping stone.

No one here is satisfied with almost making the playoffs, don't believe me? Just ask any habs fan.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Doubtful.

Bergevin has Molson wrapped around his finger, and has successfully sold him on the idea of this new "retool". I wouldn't be surprised if Molson gives MB another 5 year window to try and compete with his new upcoming core of prospects.
We'll see about that when the media and mad fans will say when the habs are missing the playoffs 4 times in 5 years and Carey Price ask a trade.

Media fans voice > GM voice

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We'll see about that when the media and mad fans will say when the habs are missing the playoffs 4 times in 5 years and Carey Price ask a trade.

Media fans voice > GM voice
Where has this voice been all along? 3 years out of 4 or 4 out of 5, what's the difference? A better hot dog and we almost made the playoffs is the new jingle.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think what people are applauding is that our young players all had career years, which led us to a halfway decent season. Caan you imagine if Gally had 15 goals, Danault failed horribly at 1/2C and Kotkaniemi had a down year in Laval? This place would be insufferable!

Everyone on this board wants the same thing, some people just have different ideas on how to get there. I choose to see last year as a stepping stone.

No one here is satisfied with almost making the playoffs, don't believe me? Just ask any habs fan.
giphy.gif

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Bergevin "hold my beer"

..No playoff rounds won in 4 straight years.

Going for 5.

1 playoff round win in the last 5 years. I remember pointing this out a couple years ago, and the bergeois were all like AKSHUALLY THAT'S LIKE 15TH IN THE LEAGUE SO WE'RE GOOD. I wonder if things have gotten better or worse by this metric in the last two seasons?

Reactions: OldCraig71

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
All that cap space for the past two year and for possibly a 3rd year offsets the no playoff teams that Bergevin is building....That's all gravy to the bottom line and Molson likes that.

Unbelievable that a team like the Habs doesn't spend to the cap....but then again, it's unbelievable that Bergevin is still employed by the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->