Marc Bergevin: Draft 2020 (XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
It was Bergevin who gave Price that contract but why are we the only team in the league who can only win by relying on our goalie to bail us out? Patrick Roy isn't walking through that door (and if he does, it's as GM, which probably isn't a major upgrade on Bergevin. Although maybe he wouldn't try as hard to appease the media..)

The decision to build around an aging Price and Weber was Bergevin's. Enough with the excuses.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Agreed if Marc is walking but.......

Two scenarios:
1) This is our last year of bargin bin, he doesn't resign him as a GM and instead moves him to head of Player muscle development and style (purple pants). He would be very good for this job based on credentials!)
2) Marc gets resigned as GM and we are stuck with him for another 4-5 years.

Honestly option 2 is more likely now IMO. We have Covid to distract people that the habs suck, you won't have the same optics of fans in paper bags , jerseys being tossed on the ice, boo-ing and empty seats etc so not as much heat IMO.
Many folks are just happy to have hockey on, and they can rage all they want on HF or reddit but unless one of you is tied to the habs PR organization feeding info the habs brass, its pretty quiet.

Therefore I think Marc stays on despite his lack of results. Hes already sold GEoffy that he's the man... he can sell him again.

Either way, I think Marc stays in some manner with the habs org. Option two seems more likely to me.

I disagree, i think he's finally at the end of his rope.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Should have had the balls to address needs like Toffoli, Anderson and Allen sooner. I'm sure there's a 24/7 gym out there that will hire you and Timmins as their managers once you get canned though.

Reactions: DAChampion

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Who are the options to even replace Bergevin? Patrick Roy and Mathieu Darche? Julien Brisebois in a perfect world but he's not going to be available anytime soon.
I think Bergevin needs to go, but equally scared of who may be his replacement.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Who are the options to even replace Bergevin? Patrick Roy and Mathieu Darche? Julien Brisebois in a perfect world but he's not going to be available anytime soon.
Like with Dom Ducharme, ideally there would be an in house candidate to be the next gm. There seems to be interest in him around the league when there is a vacancy but don't believe Scott Mellanby is bilingual (even though he was born in Montreal).

Don't understand why someone has not been groomed. Anyway hope Martin Madden is one of the interviewees.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I disagree, i think he's finally at the end of his rope.
I wanna believe, but by all accounts marc shouldn't have lasted this long, Doubling down on MT. Losing out on key players, signing Alzner and saying" Our D is better"
The man just always seems to get away unscathed. I hope your right Oz, but the pessimist in me keeps coming back.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Like with Dom Ducharme, ideally there would be an in house candidate to be the next gm. There seems to be interest in him around the league when there is a vacancy but don't believe Scott Mellanby is bilingual (even though he was born in Montreal).

Don't understand why someone has not been groomed. Anyway hope Martin Madden is one of the interviewees.

Elliotte Friedman brought up Martin Lapointe on his latest podcast.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Remember when Bergy stacked our team for the DEEP playoff run in 2015 by getting Ott, King and Martinsen? Good times.

Steve Ott was pretty much the only useful one because he could win faceoffs and be a bit of a pest.

Martinsen had potential as being a big bodied player with size and threw hits. Never showed much of anything.

Dwight King sucked and I guess with a name like Dwight it doesn't surprise anyone.

I've said it numerous times before, but Bergevin has gotten the AHL team into the playoffs once(Twice last year ? ). The more of his stamp put on the team the worse it has gotten.

The team he inherited in 2013 wasn't 3rd last bad. It needed some tweaks, the main one being a number 1 centre and 8 years later we still don't have one.

The scouting staff has been terrible.

If I'm Molson I seriously consider a complete overhaul of the scouting staff along with the firing of Bergevin and others he has hired.

Reactions: Habs

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Elliotte Friedman brought up Martin Lapointe on his latest podcast.
Maybe. If it was him, would they need to bring in a Rick Dudley type to help him learn the job? (as was done for Marc Bergevin). Don't know enough about his background to know if it would be a long apprenticeship. At least he would have a good knowledge of the players and organization already.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Martin Lapointe's best attribute is to have played the game. In no way shape or form does it prove anything in management. The ONLY role playing the game means something is director of player personnel. A guy that would visit kids from time to time and talk to them about what you need to make it. 'Cause they've done it. And made it.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
As a note I brought up Lapointe because Friedman mentioned him, not because I’m saying he’s the right pick to be the next GM

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Molson needs to see this, the team wants to win and 10 years of Bergevin has never done much. Sure we can win trades and all but we mostly loose trades, espeically poor draft picks that could have saved the franchise throughout many years into this date.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
As a note I brought up Lapointe because Friedman mentioned him, not because I’m saying he’s the right pick to be the next GM

any chance Roy throws his name in the mix?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
any chance Roy throws his name in the mix?

He interviewed for the Senators head coaching job so I think he’s interested in getting back in the league. Not sure if that would be a good thing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad