Marc Bergevin: Draft 2020 (XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
In anticipation of this summer, just did some research and just put together a couple lists:

GM Options:
Patrick Roy - Quebec (QMJHL) - GM/Head Coach
Mathieu Darche - Lightning - Dir. of Hockey Operations
Martin Madden - Ducks - Asst. GM
Pat Brisson - NHL Agent
Martin Brodeur - Devils - Ex. VP of Hockey Operations
Daniel Briere - Maine (ECHL) - GM
Francois Giguere - N/A - Formers Avalance GM
Philippe Boucher - Drummondville (QMJHL) - GM
Serge Beausoileil - Rimouski (QMJHL) - GM
Pierre McGuire - NBC - Analyst
Martin Lapointe - Canadiens - Dir. of Player Personnel

Coach Options:
Andre Tourigny - Ottawa (OHL) - Head Coach
Benoit Groulx - Syracuse (AHL) - Head Coach
Jim Montgomery - Blues - Asst. Coach
Alain Nasreddine - Devils - Head Coach (2020)
Pascal Vincent - Manitoba (AHL) - Head Coach
Joel Bouchard - Laval (AHL) - Head Coach
Patrick Roy - Quebec (QMJHL) - Head Coach
Guy Boucher - N/A - Former Lightning Coach
Ian Lapperriere - Flyers - Asst. Coach
Marc Crawford - Blackhawks - Asst. Coach
Martin Gelinas - Flames - Asst. Coach
Steve Potvin - Tucson (AHL) - Head Coach
Stephane Julien - Sherbrooke (QMJHL) - Head Coach
Dan Lacroix - Moncton (QMJHL) - Head Coach
J.J. Daigneault - Halifax (QMJHL) - Head Coach
Jacques Martin - Rangers - Asst. Coach
Alex Burrows - Canadiens - Asst. Coach
Jean-Francois Houle - Bakersfield (AHL) - Asst. Coach
Alex Tanguay - Iowa (AHL) - Asst. Coach
Louis Robitaille - Gatineau (QMJHL) - Head Coach/GM
Yanick Jean - Chicoutimi (QMJHL) - Head Coach/GM

Ranked IMO of realistic of occurring.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think Ducharme will surprise us and will not relinquish his coaching duties anytime soon.

Bergevin has to go though...he can't be allowed to hire 4 head coaches...thats illogical

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
@Redux91 was telling me he thinks Vinny Damphousse would make a good GM. How was he on RDS? Smart guy?
Damphousse said he didn't have the competences for the job even if many wished he would take the job. He said that before they announced Bergevin was hired. I think he likes his quiet life and doesn't want to be facing the media circus. He his one of the best in rds, yes, a smart guy, always an intelligent comment whatever happen.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I’ll catch a lot of flack for this but I would love Pierre McGuire as the GM.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
MB will go if we can't make the playoffs.

If the habs rebound in any way, Molson will allow it.

I do like the work MB has done in recent seasons as he seems far better than he was at the start but he's been given a lot of rope. Most GMs do not get this luxury.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I'll play devil's advocate for a second and entertain this...to an extent.

Regardless of what you think of McGuire...he has no front office experience.

His time as a coach rubbed people wrong way.

I can see McGuire in a timmins esque role. A guy who is assistant GM but mostly in charge of scouting. He'd have to work his way up after that.

No team will hire him as a GM off the bat. He just has zero experience handling contracts, constructing a team, etc...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He would be a dreadful choice.

There's an article floating around out there that details how bad he was in Pittsburgh. After reading that it really became clear as to why this guy has never gone near an NHL team again.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
MB will go if we can't make the playoffs.

If the habs rebound in any way, Molson will allow it.

I do like the work MB has done in recent seasons as he seems far better than he was at the start but he's been given a lot of rope. Most GMs do not get this luxury.
I think you're right on MB. If we don't make it this year he's gone. Esp considering the division we're in. I mean if we can't make it this year...

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I am sorry but even if we make it to first round this seaosn , it's not even a feat with Ottawa and Vancouver in our division and having only 7 teams.
Unless we make it Conference Finals , I don't see why Bergevin should re-signed. If it takes a pity lose in 7 games in first round to keep hiim , then this team will still suck next year , and the 5 next.

Armia , Danault and Tatar will most likely be gone
Petry and Gallagher extension will kick in
Weber is just done and anchor at this moment.
Price won't get better.
Chariot is god damn useless
Allen will probably be gone at the expansion.

Unless Suzuki and KK explodes , this team is putrid , and even still if those 2 were to xplode , our D-squad is absolutely Atrocious and our main goalie is hot garbage.

The only reason we can compete next season if it's Romanov , Caufield , KK and Suzuki wiill carry us. Which for right now , is far from working.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The replacement should not be any idiot that worked for Bergevin.. we see what's happening with Ducharme, the longer you're exposed to their philosophy, the more you replicate the baffling decisions.

Bring in my boy Bobby Smith.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
To all the critics of of tanking all these years, saying look how it worked for Buffalo and Edmonton, well, how has not tanking helped us in the past decade, let alone two?

Granted, those two teams are poorly managed, unlike us. Oh, wait...

Tanking is no longer a viable strategy given the lottery.

IMO Bergevin has mostly had the right idea since mid-2018, but he may not be able to compensate for the bad decisions made before then. In particular, having one of the worst goalies in the NHL make 10.5 million/year through 2026 is already crippling. Through that time Weber will be making 7.8 million/year as well.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

IMO Bergevin has mostly had the right idea since mid-2018, but he may not be able to compensate for the bad decisions made before then. In particular, having one of the worst goalies in the NHL make 10.5 million/year through 2026 is already crippling. Through that time Weber will be making 7.8 million/year as well.
Cap hit yes, but last three years weber make 1 million, and the recapture is on nashville.
That is surely an asset that might be worth more then people imagine.... to nashville
As if not mistaken, it is better for them to trade for him and put him on IR instead of having him retire as a hab

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick

I definitely thing he plays up the goofiness on tv a lot. When Chiclets interviewed him he came across way way better. Definitely knows the game inside and out and is much more respected within the league than many think.

Reactions: tazsub3

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

That's not true, really..

look at the great players even outside the top 3.. picking in the top ten consistently can land you the pieces needed to become competitive. Unfortunately, the thing that matters most is the timing of when you do pick in the top 5 and whether your scouts can make good on the top 5 pick they do get.

For us..
we landed top 3 in one of the weakest drafts
and the next top 3 we landed, we missed out on the top 2 which were a tier above, and KK looks good but unclear if he's a superstar, Tkachuk is really good but he's not gonna turn around a franchise, Hughes is really good offensively but is a nightmare defensively.

While in other years, Makar is there at 4.. or you can get Pettersson in a top 6.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Always hated the term 'tanking' as it's not really indicative of what should be done. Rebuilding is the better term.

With rebuilding you can trade vets for prospects/picks to accelerate the process. You shouldn't just rely on the draft to start over. The drop in the standings is a byproduct of what you should be doing, not necessarily the goal. And under no circumstances should the team or coaches try to lose.

Apart from any rebuild discussion though, here's a crazy idea... how about having actual NHL quality blueliners on your left side if you want to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->