ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-11-18_17-40-19.png

Reactions: shamrun

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Bergevin has been given way too much slack this off-season. Without Covid, we don't play in the post season, giving fans something they've would have seen only once in the last 5 years. This got people excited, and they got even more excited when Bergevin pulled the trigger too fast and got a back up goalie, a number 4 ,at the very best, dmen and a 25 goals power forward with a questionable shoulder.

We still don't make it passed the 2nd round.

Reactions: the and Miller Time

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin has been given way too much slack this off-season. Without Covid, we don't play in the post season, giving fans something they've would have seen only once in the last 5 years. This got people excited, and they got even more excited when Bergevin pulled the trigger too fast and got a back up goalie, a number 4 ,at the very best, dmen and a 25 goals power forward with a questionable shoulder.

So you expected Bergevin to turn our roster into a deep playoff team in one offseason? I think he did very well with what he had this offseason. I also think we are better suited to go past the 2nd round with a better team D and more size/goal scoring power on wing.

You still want to trade Price for 50% retention and 0.50 on the dollar? :sarcasm:

Reactions: SpezNc2 and Gains

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
So you expected Bergevin to turn our roster into a deep playoff team in one offseason? I think he did very well with what he had this offseason. I also think we are better suited to go past the 2nd round with a better team D and more size/goal scoring power on wing.

You still want to trade Price for 50% retention and 0.50 on the dollar? :sarcasm:

He should have been fired... Going on 9 years of his inability to build a winning roster, but give him more time? Pathetic.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He should have been fired... Going on 9 years of his inability to build a winning roster, but give him more time? Pathetic.

I like where we are today. The middle span of his tenure is the issue and like Timmins, the time to fire was around 2015 or 2016. They have done better so I think you are living in the past and ignoring the current direction. Youth is promising and vets still around. We can be a top 5-10 team next year but game not played on paper so we have to wait and see.

I believe Bergevin has 2 years left so it's good timing left. We can see how this latest roster turns out and if we fall flat on our face and miss the playoffs again, don't extend him. You know I don't hate Bergevin like you or others do. He's made mistakes yes. Bergevin is not the same GM he was and we allowed him to learn on the job. Last thing I want is a Dubas type GM where we allow the next GM to also learn on the job. Screw that!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I no longer feel the same about the this team. He has eroded my affection for MTL and I look forward to the day when he's gone

he wins a cup, i'll eat some crow.

What if we reach final 4 or final 8 next season? You still not happy?

* Took a while but Suzuki, KK, and Danault are the best centers we have had in a very long time.
* We have better size/goal scoring power on wing
* Better back-up
* Loads of prospects with lots more picks to come.

This is not 2016 anymore

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

9 offseasons... but who's counting right :sarcasm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What if we reach final 4 or final 8 next season? You still not happy?

* Took a while but Suzuki, KK, and Danault are the best centers we have had in a very long time.
* We have better size/goal scoring power on wing
* Better back-up
* Loads of prospects with lots more picks to come.

This is not 2016 anymore

Our center line is only better if the players improve. Plekanec is better than all three, and he shared duties with Koivu. Those two alone are better than the 3, if we look at recent play. Even with Gomez before he crashed, those guys don't measure yet.
If Suzuki and KK take a big step forward this upcoming season, well that might change. But as of today, you can't say we have the best center line in a very long time. Hopefully that changes this year though.

I still prefer 2014 team with Vanek on, mostly due to our defense. I'm not a big fan of our current squad.
But the good thing is there's potential. If Romanov can become the guy so many fans are excited for, well that gives the D squad a new look.
Thing can be good, or they can be pretty crappy. If Anderson shows that his injury has changed him, a becomes prone to injuries, not good. If Toffoli pulls a Samsonov, no good. Allen is pretty inconsistent, will he settle into being the best back up in the league?...Suzuki and KK need to improve for us to actually be better too.
So, we still need to see, but yes, at least we have something to be excited about.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Well you're forgetting Toffoli and Romanov. Romanov MAY be overblown by some and might not be an impact player right away but he is one of the best D prospects in the world right now. He alone could help change the dynamic of our blue line quite a bit. Toffoli seems to have been languishing in LA and seemed pretty dynamite in VAN. Those aren't two insignificant players.

As much as I am an 'optimist', I wasn't getting all 'suck it MB haterz' after the Toffoli signing. But I honestly don't think we're as bad as last year showed. Injuries aren't an excuse, they were a reason. We weren't a good enough team to weather those injuries and that's a thing in itself but they also can't be ignored in evaluating what we actually have.

It's broken record to say but a huge part relies on how good Suzuki and KK can be. It's a potentially exciting Center line. Danault as a 3rd line C/in a 3rd line role is going to be great. We can finally just enjoy him as a player. A damn fine one at that.

I'm somewhat neutral on the Allen acquisition/signing but I don't think you can underestimate the effect that that could have on Price over a whole year. If he pans out and can help shoulder a load it could make a difference BOTH in the regular season and the playoffs.

I'm seeing progress. I feel like MB's turned a bit of a corner in the last few years. He's bought some time for me. I'm curious to see how this current batch plays and how this prospect pool develops. There AT LEAST seems like legit promise. Might fall a bit short but I still see us moving in the right direction.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our center line is only better if the players improve. Plekanec is better than all three, and he shared duties with Koivu. Those two alone are better than the 3, if we look at recent play. Even with Gomez before he crashed, those guys don't measure yet.
If Suzuki and KK take a big step forward this upcoming season, well that might change. But as of today, you can't say we have the best center line in a very long time. Hopefully that changes this year though.

I still prefer 2014 team with Vanek on, mostly due to our defense. I'm not a big fan of our current squad.
But the good thing is there's potential. If Romanov can become the guy so many fans are excited for, well that gives the D squad a new look.
Thing can be good, or they can be pretty crappy. If Anderson shows that his injury has changed him, a becomes prone to injuries, not good. If Toffoli pulls a Samsonov, no good. Allen is pretty inconsistent, will he settle into being the best back up in the league?...Suzuki and KK need to improve for us to actually be better too.
So, we still need to see, but yes, at least we have something to be excited about.

I like our team direction. In terms of the 2014 roster... I think that roster has a better age mix in terms of competing right away. In terms of today's roster, I think we can compete but doubt we reach final 4. Final 8 is possible but all depends on momentum in the playoffs. However, I like the direction moving forward with the youth

Reactions: sampollock

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well you're forgetting Toffoli and Romanov. Romanov MAY be overblown by some and might not be an impact player right away but he is one of the best D prospects in the world right now. He alone could help change the dynamic of our blue line quite a bit. Toffoli seems to have been languishing in LA and seemed pretty dynamite in VAN. Those aren't two insignificant players.

As much as I am an 'optimist', I wasn't getting all 'suck it MB haterz' after the Toffoli signing. But I honestly don't think we're as bad as last year showed. Injuries aren't an excuse, they were a reason. We weren't a good enough team to weather those injuries and that's a thing in itself but they also can't be ignored in evaluating what we actually have.

It's broken record to say but a huge part relies on how good Suzuki and KK can be. It's a potentially exciting Center line. Danault as a 3rd line C/in a 3rd line role is going to be great. We can finally just enjoy him as a player. A damn fine one at that.

I'm somewhat neutral on the Allen acquisition/signing but I don't think you can underestimate the effect that that could have on Price over a whole year. If he pans out and can help shoulder a load it could make a difference BOTH in the regular season and the playoffs.

I'm seeing progress. I feel like MB's turned a bit of a corner in the last few years. He's bought some time for me. I'm curious to see how this current batch plays and how this prospect pool develops. There AT LEAST seems like legit promise. Might fall a bit short but I still see us moving in the right direction.

Some fans think we suck but when you listen to what the players say about the Habs, it's a different story. If we were as bad as some in our fan base thinks... Pens would have not complained about the 3 game series and would have easily beat us in that play in round. Fluke? Well, the Flyers didn't outplay us and if not for some stupid bounces against Price and better scoring on wing, we would have been moving on to the 2nd round. All that without Romanov, Anderson, Toffoli, and Edmundson. Anderson vs Domi cancels out? I think not... Domi did not do anything for us in the playoffs and Anderson would have been a huge add on wing with his size/skating/goal scoring package.

What will the new roster do? It's anybody's guess but there is no doubt in my mind that we addressed some team flaws that was holding us back.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Some fans think we suck but when you listen to what the players say about the Habs, it's a different story. If we were as bad as some in our fan base thinks... Pens would have not complained about the 3 game series and would have easily beat us in that play in round. Fluke? Well, the Flyers didn't outplay us and if not for some stupid bounces against Price and better scoring on wing, we would have been moving on to the 2nd round. All that without Romanov, Anderson, Toffoli, and Edmundson. Anderson vs Domi cancels out? I think not... Domi did not do anything for us in the playoffs and Anderson would have been a huge add on wing with his size/skating/goal scoring package.

What will the new roster do? It's anybody's guess but there is no doubt in my mind that we addressed some team flaws that was holding us back.

It's really hard to evaluate a team in those play ins. Pittsburgh was beyond garbage. I was beyond pissed at them for that performance when I was hoping to get Laf.

Philly was definitely better but still not great. I think we did outplay them for the most part but there's still a ton of warts. I think we all have to hope that Romanov can replace Chiarot on that top pair asap. And I'm a Chiarot fan for the most part. I thought he did very well except near the end of the philly series. Just not on a top pair. Over a whole season, I think he gets exposed. But it's good to know that he can fill in there from time to time. People act like he's hot garbage are out to lunch imo.

We still need more skill up front imo. I still think we're at least moving to where we want to go.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I no longer feel the same about the this team. He has eroded my affection for MTL and I look forward to the day when he's gone

he wins a cup, i'll eat some crow.

Jean Perron won a cup... but yeah, I too would gladly "eat crow" if the Habs by some miracle overcome his ineptness and sneak into a final, let alone win.

but, likelihood of that remains incredibly low, this year is probably the best shot because of how poorly he's managed the cap situation. in 2yrs from now we'll be staring at cap crunched team largely over 30 with little to no depth of skilled/top-6 wingers and no room to retain the core while paying RFA deals to our young roster players (JKO/Romanov/Suzuki) if they come anywhere near to performing at the level we need them to for us to sniff a playoff round win.

hope i'm wrong, but overall the lack of strategic decision-making in roster/asset management and failure in responding to the ever-changing league realities/opportunities that has characterized his entire tenure was still very visible this summer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's really hard to evaluate a team in those play ins. Pittsburgh was beyond garbage. I was beyond pissed at them for that performance when I was hoping to get Laf.

Philly was definitely better but still not great. I think we did outplay them for the most part but there's still a ton of warts. I think we all have to hope that Romanov can replace Chiarot on that top pair asap. And I'm a Chiarot fan for the most part. I thought he did very well except near the end of the philly series. Just not on a top pair. Over a whole season, I think he gets exposed. But it's good to know that he can fill in there from time to time. People act like he's hot garbage are out to lunch imo.

We still need more skill up front imo. I still think we're at least moving to where we want to go.

Pens were garbage cause we outplayed them. My biggest worry was beating the Pens and getting embarrassed in the 2nd round. Didn't happen! You think Tofolli signs with us if we didn't have that kind of playoffs?

The only concern I have is our PP.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm looking at direction more than tenure.

at high-level, the direction is largely unchanged.
- overpaying for perceived "needs" that ignores player track-record or projected/likely ongoing contribution
- ignoring market-place realities and not leveraging organizational assets to be opportunistic
- poor asset management (buying high, selling low, poor draft pick leveraging)

same song, new "hopes"

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
at high-level, the direction is largely unchanged.
- overpaying for perceived "needs" that ignores player track-record or projected/likely ongoing contribution
- ignoring market-place realities and not leveraging organizational assets to be opportunistic
- poor asset management (buying high, selling low, poor draft pick leveraging)

same song, new "hopes"

Disagree about the direction. Same song to you but not me. I just wonder what you would say if we didn't make moves to address flaws this off season.

- Name me time when we had that many WJC type talent over a span of 4 drafts? Good luck!
- Name me 3 better centers at the ages of 20, 21, and 27 with Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Danault?
- Name me a roster from the past that can roll three 2nd lines? And a pretty good 4th line too!
- Add the picks to come in the next few drafts. We are loaded with futures.

We have a great mix of vets still performing at a high level, a decent mid core, very good youth, and tons of prospects/picks to come.

I remember saying in 2017 that we are going to turn the corner with our drafting and developing and I got jumped. Well, I think the results are tracking to be a turnaround from the 08-15 years but you can fight that all you want. I strongly disagree.

Reactions: SpezNc2

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I like our team direction. In terms of the 2014 roster... I think that roster has a better age mix in terms of competing right away. In terms of today's roster, I think we can compete but doubt we reach final 4. Final 8 is possible but all depends on momentum in the playoffs. However, I like the direction moving forward with the youth

Ya, you would expect that from a team who was meant to miss the POs 4/5 years though. That's why a team like Buffalo is such a disappointment. You expect them to be so much better given they've missed the POs 9 years in a row, even their Captain spoke about it. We thankfully never sucked that badly, but the point remains, when a team does as poorly as we did over the last 5 year stretch, you expect their youth to improve as we draft more and earlier.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Disagree about the direction. Same song to you but not me. I just wonder what you would say if we didn't make moves to address flaws this off season.

- Name me time when we had that many WJC type talent over a span of 4 drafts? Good luck!
- Name me 3 better centers at the ages of 20, 21, and 27 with Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Danault?
- Name me a roster from the past that can roll three 2nd lines? And a pretty good 4th line too!
- Add the picks to come in the next few drafts. We are loaded with futures.

We have a great mix of vets still performing at a high level, a decent mid core, very good youth, and tons of prospects/picks to come.

I remember saying in 2017 that we are going to turn the corner with our drafting and developing and I got jumped. Well, I think the results are tracking to be a turnaround from the 08-15 years but you can fight that all you want. I strongly disagree.

it's not either/or, it's how.

Briere, Murray and Parros were supposed to "address needs".
Drouin and Alzner were supposed to "address needs".

- 2010-13: Beaulieu, Tinordi, Collberg, Galch (who was injured, but would've been WJC star), Fucale, DLR, McCarron, Lehkonen, Reway, Andrighetto....

WJC participation is fun holiday excitement, not future NHL guarantee.

- C question is just silly... though very aligned with the cherry-picking approach to thinking that MB falls victim to

- name me a cup winner that couldn't roll a legit 1st line?

- Picks are of no use if we waste them on back-up goalies (in a goalie heavy ufa market) and bottom-pairing dmen rights (in a market with a plethora of depth dmen available at team-friendly deals)

We certainly disagree. Time will tell which assessments are/were more accurately grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad