Marc Bergevin : Attitude > Skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
This presupposes that 'attitude' is actually a thing and not some made-up, unquantifiable metric that Bergevin grasped onto when his six year plan to acquire 'character' yielded the most fragile version of the Canadiens I can ever recall.

The league is full of guys who have been questioned on their 'heart' 'dedication' 'will to win' and yes, even 'character' and they stay in the league because their talent (and their results) keep them amongst the best 1000 or so people in the world in their sport. They get sent away when their talent no longer measures up, not due to some supposed character flaw made up by guys who nod approvingly during the scene in SlapShot when the players are yelling "Old Time Hockey! Eddie Shore!"

Attitude doesn't mean crashing the boards and other players on every shift... It is way more and better than that. It's a mental make up. willingness to learn and improve, etc... Be a real pro.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Attitude doesn't mean crashing the boards and other players on every shift... It is way more and better than that. It's a mental make up. willingness to learn and improve, etc... Be a real pro.
Serious question. Players who make the NHL are at the very pinnacle of a very competitive profession. By nature they have to be driven, competitive, always looking for an edge etc. What percentage of NHL players do you believe lack the desire to, in your words, "learn and improve?"

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hmm, did Kessel really have anything negative going on in the locker room rather than just the fans and media projecting their own feelings about the Leafs onto him?

James Neal might be a better name to throw out there.

"Bad attitude" is indeed open to subjective interpretation.

But Kessel certainly hasn't exhibited many winner/leader behaviours throughout his career... But put him on a stacked roster where his one-dimensional skill set is all that's asked of him, and he delivers.

Imo what people like the Bergevin's of the world don't get is that true management/leadership is about the ability to foster the culture necessary to drive the desired attitudes... The best are able to then work with and "exploit" the skills of a wide range of personalities, getting the most out of the people they have, rather than constantly blame them for failures

It is a rare skill indeed, but access sports the best if the best regularly get great output from so-called "attitude" problems.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
People crap on Bergevin 24/7 but he was able to slowly build a really solid support cast without really sacrificing the future, can you imagine dropping a guy like McDavid on this team?

This team is ready IMO it misses a forward star! Kotka it's all in your hands!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I thought this was the Bergevin discussion...

Drouin turning things around or not might happen but as it stands it was a bad trade by the GM. That's two clear losses on the Subban and Sergachev trades, and two instances of him prematurely aging the team with the four-years-older acquisition.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Right now, Drouin hasn't, and is not, living up to expectations.

He may figure it out, he may not. All the excuses are irrelevant to the simple fact that his on-ice performance (not to be confused with the outcome of his performance) is nowhere near the elite offensive player he was acquired to be.

Why do some posters get so uptight with calling a spade a spade?
My guess would be.......Because it directly conflicts with the kool aid they have consumed.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
People crap on Bergevin 24/7 but he was able to slowly build a really solid support cast without really sacrificing the future, can you imagine dropping a guy like McDavid on this team?

We have good depth, lots of second line and second pairing tweeners. Lacks on LD but let's give you that point.

But such a "supporting cast" is worthless if there is no elite players to support. The depth is playing in top roles because of this. And please don't tell me you are actually comparing Price/Weber to the best player in the world.

We're trending in the right direction because of drafting (Timmins, not Bergevin) but we're far from ready. We need a franchise player, like Hughes or Lafrenière.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Twas moved to the Vomit List. And no, it wasn't IKEA crayfish -- it was a random chinese product that IKEA put its label on. They're no better than Walmart.

And just to be clear, it was on my bucket list to have a crayfish buffet, I settled for the IKEA one since there was no other available without flying out somewhere. IKEA should be on no one's "bucket list".

The herring, cheese, lingonberries and the candy are great. The rest not so much.

Reactions: Runner77

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
And I agree! Drouin was the worst Habs on the ice by far!

But it's one game... Relax ffs!
I am relaxed. How little Johnny Drouin plays has no effect on me. Just joining the discussion with an opinion.

Drouins 78 games as a Canadiens have been unimpressive.

No we dont know if that will change.........and neither do you.

So you can quit talking like anyone who does not agree with you is wrong.

Drouin has been a huge disappointment . That much is indisputable.

Reactions: Miller Time

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
[Mod]

I am relaxed. How little Johnny Drouin plays has no effect on me. Just joining the discussion with an opinion.

Drouins 78 games as a Canadiens have been unimpressive.

No we dont know if that will change.........and neither do you.

So you can quit talking like anyone who does not agree with you is wrong.

Drouin has been a huge disappointment . That much is indisputable.

That's a great start buddy, being relaxed it's the shit! We're all Habs fans at the end of the day aren't we ffs? Let's just breathe....

Drouin sucks, and I'm not sugarcoating anything here! He f***ing sucks!

But I don't care what anyone else says around here, he's the most talented player on this team!

So can we all take a deep breath? Relax for a second and let him play?

Thank you my fellow Habs fan!

Last edited by a moderator:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I thought this was the Bergevin discussion...

Drouin turning things around or not might happen but as it stands it was a bad trade by the GM. That's two clear losses on the Subban and Sergachev trades, and two instances of him prematurely aging the team with the four-years-older acquisition.

Jury is still out on Domi. This GM has a spotty record when it comes to evaluating and maximizing return on major assets. It's been more misses than hits. Luckily for him, he got a good return on Pacioretty.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
[Mod]

That's a great start buddy, being relaxed it's the ****! We're all Habs fans at the end of the day aren't we ffs? Let's just breathe....

Drouin sucks, and I'm not sugarcoating anything here! He ****ing sucks!

But I don't care what anyone else says around here, he's the most talented player on this team!

So can we all take a deep breath? Relax for a second and let him play?

Thank you my fellow Habs fan!

Honestly, buddy I have no idea what's your point. Team is shit after 6 years of this management but at the same time... everything is fine? Have you even noticed that we had more success with the precedent core than since Bergevin started to put his print on the team by altering said core? And if so, we should just hope for him to get better while he was at best mediocre in terms of results?

Reactions: Runner77

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
TVA interview: If GM position was voted by fans, would you still be in?

MB: I don't know.

More humble than I expected.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012

What is his other option, say yes and look completely disconnected from the fanbase? He only evaded it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The guy is absurdly brainless.

Bergevin et Claude Julien ont préféré ne pas soumettre la question au vote des joueurs. Cela n’a pas empêché le DG d’expliquer que le choix de Weber a été « unanime », laissant ainsi entendre qu’un large consensus a entouré le processus. Mais quand on lui pose directement la question, il reconnaît qu’il s’agit d’une unanimité à deux personnes : son entraîneur et lui.

TRANSLATION: Bergevin and Julien preferred not to submit the captaincy to a vote by the players. Bergevin explained that the Weber decision was "unanimous", leading to believe that there was a wide consensus surrounding the process. However, when Cantin directly asked Bergevin, the latter admitted that the unanimity he was referring to was between two people: his head coach and himself.

:laugh:

Taking it a step further, "me, myself and I" could technically constitute a "unanimous" decision.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not sure about Wal mart. They usually seem to have other stores inside like mcdonalds.

Kmart had a restaurant too.

Kmart definitely sold pets at one time. When I was a kid we had a couple caymans in a terrarium that we got there. For those who don't know, caymans are alligators. They were a few months old when we bought them.

Had them for several years.

Reactions: Peanut

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace

or three

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Only a fool sees the multiple scenarios where skill players carry their teams to cups and then tries to emulate the exceptions like Vegas who had everything go right for them... (and even then they didn't win the cup the team with Ovy/Kuznetsov/Backstrom did)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad