Marc Bergevin : Attitude > Skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Gomez's first season for us was good -- had he continued that pace the trade would've looked much better. His reputation as one of our worst-ever trades began with his second season and went down from there. There's no reason to expect Drouin to follow that path.
Drouin's first season as a Hab was mixed at best - with not only poor production, he was dogged for a lack of effort and lack of concentration and that seems to have persisted into this season. I don't expect Drouin to fall off a cliff but I don't think he's ever going to be as good as what Gomez was - that is to say, I don't think Drouin will even get up on a high enough cliff to fall off. Gomez was a legitimate top line centre and a cup winner. Drouin is looking at another 40-50 point season.

This post is :facepalm:
Care to elaborate?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Care to elaborate?
How in the world is Drouin comparable to a guy like Gomez?

The problem with Gomez is not that he was a bad player, the problem is that he was done!

Are you implying Drouin is done at 23 years old?

Even if Drouin never reaches his full potential he will still be a serviceable player for a long time.

Gomez gave us one decent season and then he was worthless!

This comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

The problem with Gomez is not that he was a bad player, the problem is that he was done!
Gomez scored more in his first season than Drouin. Gomez wasn't particularly old at the time of the trade either, the fact that he was 'done' was a big surprise - he seemed perfectly suited to the modern game. It was his massive contract and cap hit that was the problem.
I'm saying Drouin's never been as good as Gomez. Maybe he'll never be.
Even if Drouin never reaches his full potential he will still be a serviceable player for a long time.
Not really... If he's not going to give an effort and only produced 40-50 points, he's pretty useless. And in context of the trade, it's a clear loss. That's two big trades that MB has lost so far, with the Pacioretty trade up in the air.
Let's see what happens with Drouin then. I think he was really bad last season until the worthless end-of-season games. If he can't play well and doesn't show up to play the important games, isn't that worthless too?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Gomez scored more in his first season than Drouin. Gomez wasn't particularly old at the time of the trade either, the fact that he was 'done' was a big surprise - he seemed perfectly suited to the modern game. It was his massive contract and cap hit that was the problem.

I'm saying Drouin's never been as good as Gomez. Maybe he'll never be.

Not really... If he's not going to give an effort and only produced 40-50 points, he's pretty useless. And in context of the trade, it's a clear loss. That's two big trades that MB has lost so far, with the Pacioretty trade up in the air.
Let's see what happens with Drouin then. I think he was really bad last season until the worthless end-of-season games. If he can't play well and doesn't show up to play the important games, isn't that worthless too?
I know one thing for sure though, we won't be buying him out in one year...

So yeah, no comparison whatsoever.

Can we wait a bit before settling down trades? Geez...

Who was not bad last year? Gallagher and Byron? Not surprised they got the A's...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He made is bed and sleeping quite well I might add....oh, hes also in year 1 of 8 to attain that cup dream......point stands, Carey has done very well for himself under the Bergevin regime and they are probably both the biggest fans of each other
Carey probably has a really expensive boat in his possession and I am willing to bet that it is called the SS Bergevin. Where have you been Jaffy?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

This comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

No Gomez went back to Jersey 4 years after the habs and put up 34 points in 58 games. And his second season with us he almost had 40 points. You know the kind of production that had you claiming Dan-O was a first line center.

Gomez was a major disappointment, but I remember watching his play and he never struck me as straight up lazy unlike drouin. Gomez felt 'done' in that final year, but he even bounced back from it after leaving the toxic montreal atmosphere.

When everyone is booing you, likely while injured, your confidence will take a hit. Drouin better up his game or the boo birds will be out to get him soon enough. He can't hide behind 'our only option at centre' anymore because we have reset as Burningbin said. I don't see a 12 point season in drouins future. But another 40 point lazy season will seem mighty bad if Serge puts up 50 points as a dman while playing with intensity.

For the record I believe Serge will have a modest season as its his sophomore year. That being said, drouin has to be more than just serviceable for a long time. You don't pay 5.5 million and have press conferences for someone that is serviceable . Chuck was serviceable and better but he was tossed away. You better add more value than a fourth line LW at 5.5 million

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
No Gomez went back to Jersey 4 years after the habs and put up 34 points in 58 games. And his second season with us he almost had 40 points. You know the kind of production that had you claiming Dan-O was a first line center.

Gomez was a major disappointment, but I remember watching his play and he never struck me as straight up lazy unlike drouin. Gomez felt 'done' in that final year, but he even bounced back from it after leaving the toxic montreal atmosphere.

When everyone is booing you, likely while injured, your confidence will take a hit. Drouin better up his game or the boo birds will be out to get him soon enough. He can't hide behind 'our only option at centre' anymore because we have reset as Burningbin said. I don't see a 12 point season in drouins future. But another 40 point lazy season will seem mighty bad if Serge puts up 50 points as a dman while playing with intensity.

Honestly, I'm not seeing this lazy thing always brought up... I'm seeing him trying out there, skating, trying to create shit, battling... I have no idea where this whole lazy thing cames from.

It's like people are seeing what they want to see or what they already knew that they will see... Hate is a strong feeling...

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Honestly, I'm not seeing this lazy thing always brought up... I'm seeing him trying out there, skating, trying to create ****, battling... I have no idea where this whole lazy thing cames from.

It's like people are seeing what they want to see or what they already knew that they will see... Hate is a strong feeling...
We lost game one because of a lazy OT by drouin. Did you miss last game? He is a perimeter player that doesn't go in the corners and doesn't back check. Plus bad at line changin :confused: That is by definition lazy.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/habs-dominate-leafs-lose-in-ot.2551417/

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
We lost game one because of a lazy OT by drouin. Did you miss last game? He is a perimeter player that doesn't go in the corners and doesn't back check. That is by definition lazy.

:facepalm:

How about the lazy Lehkonen backcheck?

Again, this is clearly a whipping boy situation!

Carry on! And then hate on the GM for not being able to sign talented players...

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
:facepalm:

How about the lazy Lehkonen backcheck?

Again, this is clearly a whipping boy situation!

Carry on! And then hate on the GM for not being able to sign talented players...
Lehk did something in that game in case you forgot and the topic was our former #1 centre, so stop the strawman and red herring posts. You said drouin isn't lazy. The topic is him not the lazy(in your opinion) winger that scored our first goal of the season.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You know where I’ve been :DD

50” on the Antlers......a beauty.

Just got out of the bush 2 days ago, was in for 11

So what did I miss!!!!!!

Nothing, in fact you have about 81 more games you could miss and not much will likely change. Congrats on the hunt (even if I'm not much for hunting) Oh we had a few small trades to add depth?

Reactions: jaffy27

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Which player would you rather have, Drouin or Sergachev?
This is the problem IMO, people are not really evaluating what's going on the ice or the player with objectivity they're just looking for mistakes 24/7 because they didn't like the trade from day one! Pathetic!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Lehk did something in that game in case you forgot and the topic was our former #1 centre, so stop the strawman and red herring posts. You said drouin isn't lazy. The topic is him not the lazy(in your opinion) winger that scored our first goal of the season.

You're blaming Drouin because you're f***ing biased! It's clear as the day!

Let's just move on , because this will not end well.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You're blaming Drouin because you're ****ing biased! It's clear as the day!

Let's just move on , because this will not end well.
Yes I am biased, however go read the post game thread. Or watch the video I posted.

Either most of the board is biased and you alone stand with drouin being a top player better than Sergechev and had an outstanding game despite everyones opinion or I dreamed the GDT and PGT.

At leas DA said it was only one game(as opposed to preseason mind you) but he clearly played subpar game one. Bias or not that isn't the way to show the haters drouin has turned the corner.

Reactions: nhlfan9191
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad