Marc Bergevin : Attitude > Skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
People crap on Bergevin 24/7 but he was able to slowly build a really solid support cast without really sacrificing the future, can you imagine dropping a guy like McDavid on this team?

This team is ready IMO it misses a forward star! Kotka it's all in your hands!

PK, Sergachev... unecessary Sacraficial lambs.

"Slow" build? What? Really? Do you even believe the nonsense you post?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bergevin absolutely gutted this team of its talent and held onto the horrible JJD well past his expiry date. That Timmins has still reeled in serviceable replacement Dmen to replace losses like Subban, Markov, and Sergachev is more on his eye to scout than Bergevin's eye for talent. It's not like Bergevin actively tanked for Kotkaniemi. He thought he built a "better defense" for a playoff run and it backfired so badly that he landed a lottery pick.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only a fool sees the multiple scenarios where skill players carry their teams to cups and then tries to emulate the excpetions like Vegas who had everything go right for them... (and even then they didn't win the cup the team with Ovy/Kuznetsov/Backstrom)

There is a lot of flexibility and creativity a GM can get into when he's working with a clean slate and a slew of draft picks. There is no "Vegas system" unless you're an expansion team putting together your first roster.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Man the fun I currently have watching the faces of some media guys and reading from all the ones who laughed at Bergevin and the Habs. Pure gold.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Bergevin changes his plan year to year month to month week to week.....he say's he wants to get faster if that was true you do not trade Subban you do not sign Alzner and you do not protect Benn in the expansion draft....if you have a plan you stick to it.

i would offer that the ability to be flexible and adjust plans once you see they aren't working is a hallmark of great leadership... but that requires a well thought out plan to begin with, and a methodical approach to evaluating your decisions.

MB is a pure reactionary. No plan or direction. He's like a pinball machine bouncing from one platitude to the next... which explains why he latches on to and sticks with nepotistic hires for so long. In the absence of confidence in a strategy, personal loyalty and mutually dependent relationships are the only thing of value.

the end of his tenure in Montreal can't come soon enough.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
i would offer that the ability to be flexible and adjust plans once you see they aren't working is a hallmark of great leadership... but that requires a well thought out plan to begin with, and a methodical approach to evaluating your decisions.

MB is a pure reactionary. No plan or direction. He's like a pinball machine bouncing from one platitude to the next... which explains why he latches on to and sticks with nepotistic hires for so long. In the absence of confidence in a strategy, personal loyalty and mutually dependent relationships are the only thing of value.

the end of his tenure in Montreal can't come soon enough.

I agree, but to be fair two moves seem to be working so far, Ducharme and Richardson.

I still want to see another GM run the show going forward, not the guy who gave Alzner $4.625M x 5. Regardless whether Alzner fit in last year's play plan, the contract given out to a guy who was a healthy scratch in the playoffs the year before was dismissal-worthy alone.

Reactions: DAChampion

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Man the fun I currently have watching the faces of some media guys and reading from all the ones who laughed at Bergevin and the Habs. Pure gold.

Tell me how it was the plan all along. That's pure gold. Besides.....you come up with this after 2 games? That,s pure gold too. How's the Drouin trade? We lost that one right? And lost Sergachev too while we desperatley would need him? 'Cause I can say that now after 2 games too if you are able to come to a conclusion after 2 games....lol Alzner, the guy is benched while being one of the most paid players? How's that for Bergevin?

Bergevin is all reactions. Peca was available. He picked him. Just like Dwight King was available he picked him.There is no plan to his game. Thinking otherwise is believing in unicorns. And what you need in a GM is a plan. You think his plan was to seriously believed Kotkaniemi would make it? Are you for real? This is the guy who went for Plekanec because he thought he would be low on centerman...come on man.

Having said all that.....one thing the Habs did, one thing Bergevin did is to FINALLY fire his assistant GM's and hiw farm team coaches and replace them. Which by the way, replacements, aside from Richardson, came with Ducharme and Bouchard....guys I said to go and get, me and a few others.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bergevin absolutely gutted this team of its talent and held onto the horrible JJD well past his expiry date. That Timmins has still reeled in serviceable replacement Dmen to replace losses like Subban, Markov, and Sergachev is more on his eye to scout than Bergevin's eye for talent. It's not like Bergevin actively tanked for Kotkaniemi. He thought he built a "better defense" for a playoff run and it backfired so badly that he landed a lottery pick.
Agreed, and yet Molson is too cheap to do the right thing.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Even a broken clock, is right twice a day..................it's been two games, let's just slow down here, we are loving what we have seen so far, but it's been two games.........only 80 to go.

Easy does it...even if we manage to have a decent season, it doesn't change the fact that MB is a clown.

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
Funny hearing how great Bergevin is now. The current roster is almost literally the last thing he tried with speed and skill at the forefront, something many fans have been asking him to do for years. The defense will be exposed at some point but at least watching speed and skill is more entertaining than watching character

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He's done a good job recently. But that doesn't change the fact that he sucked a** for the last 4 or so years before this year. He finally went away from size and toughness to speed. No more Dwight Kings, Alzners, Steve Ott's, Martinsens, and Benns.

40Armia

Oct 8, 2018
The ones who hate MB, is it because of the love they had for PK? Because around MTL many of the french media and fans wanted Patches gone and many disliked Galchenyuk also. Very confusing on how to make Habs fans and media happy.
Personally i love what i see, the Habs have just made a CC of the LVK hockey gameplan. Julien has pulled a 180 on his coaching style. Young, fast over old and slow !!!

Reactions: HankyZetts

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
What's been positive about Bergy this year is he's tried to make up for his past mistakes. It doesn't erase past mistakes, but maybe it shows growth as a GM. He's made some great moves this offseason that seem to be paying off. It's early, so time will tell.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The ones who hate MB, is it because of the love they had for PK? Because around MTL many of the french media and fans wanted Patches gone and many disliked Galchenyuk also. Very confusing on how to make Habs fans and media happy.
Personally i love what i see, the Habs have just made a CC of the LVK hockey gameplan. Julien has pulled a 180 on his coaching style. Young, fast over old and slow !!!

There is nothing confusing about it and if people still need to explain why to you then you haven't followed anything closely.
You just watch the games and don't think too much about it, and that's totally fine.

And the Habs have a sorry excuse of a roster. Habs win a couple games and that's it, they are now cup contenders. It's freaking pathetic.

40Armia

Oct 8, 2018
There is nothing confusing about it and if people still need to explain why to you then you haven't followed anything closely.
You just watch the games and don't think too much about it, and that's totally fine.

And the Habs have a sorry excuse of a roster. Habs win a couple games and that's it, they are now cup contenders. It's freaking pathetic.

Excuse me ? Where in the heck did Cup talk come into my post ? I said it’s exciting to see guys like Plekaencs and Alzner sitting and giving the kids a chance. Oh and by the way, i dont agree with your assessment on NHL players. So you have an opinion and so do i.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Can't copy Vegas without a Marchessault and William Karlsson. It suffices to say that we have neither. Nor a Colin Miller, Nate Schmidt, or Shea Theodore, much less all three.

Reactions: Peanut

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This is why I hate MB. No plan.

Teams Will adjust to our new gamestyle.. we are not the 17-18 Knights...
Until then, enjoy the high tempo hockey.....everyone knows we’ll be a lottery team again, even Bergevin. We’ve accumulated high end talent through the draft, at C position no less, we have an abundance of good wingers and are lining up to pick top 8 this year with multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd round.....the future has never looked so bright!!

Reactions: Deebs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->