Marc Bergevin : Attitude > Skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's easy for me really. I hope he does learn from his mistakes, I hope he does make great trades, I hope he does build a good team, etc...

At the end of the day saying "I hope he ****s up so bad we get set back a few years and then he gets fired" only to say "I hope the NEXT guy knows what hes doing" seems kind of...like an endless cycle.

I suppose the difference is between hope and realism.

I actually hope he gets fired today, but I know it's not going to happen, just like I know he's not going to build a contender or learn from his mistakes. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I doubt it.

And actually I want him fired today so he doesn't set us back a few years. Because if we give him more time he's just going to make things worse/harder. For example, I believe there's a chance a good GM could build a contender while Price is still an elite goalie, but the longer Bergevin is GM the less likely that is. He'll never do it himself, and the longer it takes to fire him the less years the new GM has to build the team while Price is still elite.

As is I think MB should be fired and for the sake of not ****ing the team more I sure as **** hope he doesn't do anything wrong going forward. I'm not going to hope he ****s up because what do we gain from it? We gain a new GM who is an unknown here who has to clean up a most recent **** up.

It's like Gauthier to me when he got Kaberle for Spacek and all that. Thank god we have compliance buyouts...what if we didn't? Gomez, Kaberle, etc... disaster. We were lucky. A lot of the time the next GM will have to deal with **** like that and it will cripple a team's capspace or prospect pool.

Both Gomez and Kaberle's contracts ended in 2013-2014, and Gomez's contract was designed to be friendly for a regular buyout, costing us less then 1.5m if we bought out the final year. So worst case scenario is we don't waste 4m on Briere and then Parenteau.

And if you think we dodged a bullet with Gomez and Karbele, what about the 23m we have committed to Price, Weber, Alzner? Personally I've never believed in cap hell, there are always ways to make room, and deal with bad contracts. But if you think Gomez/Kaberle were bad surely our current situation is worse.

By no means am I advocating MB stays. I'm just saying I'm not going to hope the GM cripples the team so that he gets fired. I hope for the best because we're screwed otherwise.

I'd argue he's already crippled this team, so it's only a question of degree, and the longer he's in charge the worse it will be.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I suppose the difference is between hope and realism.

I actually hope he gets fired today, but I know it's not going to happen, just like I know he's not going to build a contender or learn from his mistakes. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I doubt it.

And actually I want him fired today so he doesn't set us back a few years. Because if we give him more time he's just going to make things worse/harder. For example, I believe there's a chance a good GM could build a contender while Price is still an elite goalie, but the longer Bergevin is GM the less likely that is. He'll never do it himself, and the longer it takes to fire him the less years the new GM has to build the team while Price is still elite.

Well reality is he's the GM and Molson seems to have his back so...might as well realize not much left.

I agree on the point you've made with Price's window of being elite. One of the main reasons I want a rebuild right now and not later.

Both Gomez and Kaberle's contracts ended in 2013-2014, and Gomez's contract was designed to be friendly for a regular buyout, costing us less then 1.5m if we bought out the final year. So worst case scenario is we don't waste 4m on Briere and then Parenteau.

And if you think we dodged a bullet with Gomez and Karbele, what about the 23m we have committed to Price, Weber, Alzner? Personally I've never believed in cap hell, there are always ways to make room, and deal with bad contracts. But if you think Gomez/Kaberle were bad surely our current situation is worse.

Gomez's contract was horrible from moment we got him. Just because we waited until last year doesn't mean it was designed any better.

I'll comment on each player individually:

Price: Hate the contract but after he carried the team I think he had a blank cheque. I don't like paying that much for a goalie though. I really wish we got him in the 9 mil area. The difference though is Price is overpaid...not useless.

Alzner: Speaking of useless. Karl Alzner. Terrible acquisition. Not so much the cap...but the term too.

Weber: I don't get this one. Apart from predicting he'd get injured or something Weber is a #1D for 7. something million. That's fair price. Speaking of contracts designed for a purpose...his is designed to retire early and that is Nashville's problem...not ours.

So in summary I have Price as overpaid, Alzner as a horrible deal and Weber as market value. This isn't cap hell or anything BUT Alzner is definitely unlike the others. The others have some good value to the team...Alzner is just....I don't know. Horrible.

PS: Gauthier was head of pro scouting when we got Gomez. I don't hope MB trades a McDonagh type talent for Gomez...whether that's Gainey, Gauthier, both, wtv. I wouldn't hope MB screws up that way.

I'd argue he's already crippled this team, so it's only a question of degree, and the longer he's in charge the worse it will be.

To be honest apart from what I agreed with before(not making the most of Price's best years) I don't think MB has crippled anything.

He's done 3 big trades in Weber for Subban which is a loss obviously. Drouin for Sergachev which is mixed for me: Equal talents but not a needed position. Domi for Galchenyuk which is TBD but many like Domi thus far.

There are other good things like how he got Weise from Diaz which later turned into Danault or the fact he got Reilly for a 5th and so on. Byron on waivers, etc... There's some good things there. Of course, there's the shaw move which...questionable. PAP, briere, etc...which was bad, etc...

I just don't think MB has really crippled anything.

My opinion is his failure is more tied to the fact he hasn't done enough good. Even if you add up everything and quantify it somehow and he comes out positive it's underwhelming. Our core has aged, our star may not be same star he was and we can't rebuild right, we aren't heading anywhere. It's not encouraging so I want him fired for that.

Still...I hope for the best because the opposite can see us trade stud talents for crap. I also think you have to hope regardless. Whether Bergevin, Roy, etc... are GM it comes down to same thing...you hope they do well. It's been same for years. You hope Gainey does well, you hope his successor does well, you hope gauthier's successor does well now you hope the guy after does well. Where does it get you? Same spot. I don't care who's GM, just do a good job. If he can't...fire him but I will hope for the best. Doesn't mean I'm blind to it, just means I'd rather not get Gomez type player again. I'd rather have more successful drafts since 2007, etc...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Runners Bucket List. IKEA Crayfish, LOL

Twas moved to the Vomit List. And no, it wasn't IKEA crayfish -- it was a random chinese product that IKEA put its label on. They're no better than Walmart.

And just to be clear, it was on my bucket list to have a crayfish buffet, I settled for the IKEA one since there was no other available without flying out somewhere. IKEA should be on no one's "bucket list".

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When I a growing up, I had a friend whose mother bought these fat kosher hot dogs. They didn't have that artificial smoke flavour and had a real casing, like a proper sausage. That snap when you bite into a casing is so enjoyable.

Regrettably I can't find them in Calgary, but I'll bet they're readily available in Montreal or other cosmopolitan cities. Definitely worth seeking out. The ones I had were more like bratwurst in shape.

If you do find them, try one plain first before deciding on condiments. I have no idea of a company name, but if you have Jewish friends, that might be a good start.

I'm intrigued by this. Why are they called "fat" kosher hot dogs? Can you imagine that kind of labeling in today's fat-free conscious consumer market.

If you had more info describing the product, maybe we might locate them. Were they sold raw or pre-cooked? Obviously, it was a kosher product. Was it made in Canada or imported? Maybe they're still available today but they call them "fat-free", who knows.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It was on the CBC news that basically they lose money on the super cheap dawgs (Costco too) but it brings people into the stores and makes them a ton of money... Maybe that is why Molson wanted to improve the fan experience for everyone with better DAWGS!
Loss leaders is what those types of products are called, old Jeffie boy has the loss leader concept down with Markie in control.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Ever been in IKEA? Once you're sucked into the vortex you can't escape. People have starved while attempting to journey across their retail badlands without proper supplies. Selling food is the very least they can do. They should supply free notarial services for anyone who realizes they may not make it out; they could also sell assemble-it-yourself emergency flares so rescue helicopters can find lost consumers.
Holy crap you just described my IKEA experience to a tee lol. I will never go back.

Reactions: Runner77

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yup. Price chose money over Cups. He made his bed. I have no sympathy.
He made is bed and sleeping quite well I might add....oh, hes also in year 1 of 8 to attain that cup dream......point stands, Carey has done very well for himself under the Bergevin regime and they are probably both the biggest fans of each other

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
PS: Gauthier was head of pro scouting when we got Gomez. I don't hope MB trades a McDonagh type talent for Gomez...whether that's Gainey, Gauthier, both, wtv. I wouldn't hope MB screws up that way.

He's done 3 big trades in Weber for Subban which is a loss obviously. Drouin for Sergachev which is mixed for me: Equal talents but not a needed position. Domi for Galchenyuk which is TBD but many like Domi thus far.
Wait a second

Drouin got less points as a Hab than Gomez did. And Sergachev is likely to be as good as McDonagh - he was drafted higher, he played in the NHL sooner, and he's already a better puck-moving dman. So MB already's made two "Gomez trades". Losing Subban and Sergachev for Weber and Drouin is absolutely two huge losses on the trade front.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Wait a second

Drouin got less points as a Hab than Gomez did. And Sergachev is likely to be as good as McDonagh - he was drafted higher, he played in the NHL sooner, and he's already a better puck-moving dman. So MB already's made two "Gomez trades". Losing Subban and Sergachev for Weber and Drouin is absolutely two huge losses on the trade front.
Gomez's first season for us was good -- had he continued that pace the trade would've looked much better. His reputation as one of our worst-ever trades began with his second season and went down from there. There's no reason to expect Drouin to follow that path.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Wait a second

This post is :facepalm:

Reactions: Belial

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
This post is :facepalm:
That post is:
w6x8g.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events