Marc Bergevin: Apocalypse Soon Edition (XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Nothing will happen we are 6 points behind (7 since we don't have the tie break). We would need to be at least a minimum of 10 points behind for him to sell. I would not be surprised if he acquires some 4th liners and 3rd pairing dmen ... again.

This .... Sadly we had to lose tonight and TOR win for him to be tempted to sell.

I don't know if MB's ego can sell off 6 pts back . Like you said , I would not be shocked if MB went buying reinforcements lol

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This .... Sadly we had to lose tonight and TOR win for him to be tempted to sell.

I don't know if MB's ego can sell off 6 pts back . Like you said , I would not be shocked if MB went buying reinforcements lol
Guys like King, Martinson, Ott, JoBenn, and Davidson...remember those were the days...
No way he buys at the deadline, if he does he is more stupid than anyone has given him credit for....
Still hoping for a his firing after da trade deadline...

Reactions: DXStriker

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Guys like King, Martinson, Ott, JoBenn, and Davidson...remember those were the days...
No way he buys at the deadline, if he does he is more stupid than anyone has given him credit for....
Still hoping for a his firing after da trade deadline...

I'm pretty sure you can sleep on both your ears. There will be no buying. I would like a hockey trade but it would have already happen, so no hockey trade either. He will sell Thompson and Kovalchuk and that's about it. My only deception will be keeping Tatar instead of getting another 1st pick or a pretty good prospect.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'm pretty sure you can sleep on both your ears. There will be no buying. I would like a hockey trade but it would have already happen, so no hockey trade either. He will sell Thompson and Kovalchuk and that's about it. My only deception will be keeping Tatar instead of getting another 1st pick or a pretty good prospect.

We don’t know what’s on the table for Tatar though, and that’s the problem.

If you’re going to get a late first round pick and a mediocre prospect just keep him. Everyone keeps saying it needs to be a Pacioretty-level return, and I don’t disagree there as I think they have similar value... but people forget at that time Tatar no longer had much value and was seen by most as a cap dump.

A realistically good return for Tatar would be:

1st + Conor Timmins

2nd + Alex Newhook

Thats the level of prospect we need to return, if you can’t get that - just keep him. Other options could present themselves at the draft or over the summer, or even next years deadline.

Reactions: Benstheman

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Honestly if Savard is interested in the position of president wth is he not hired yet?

To be fair…..back in Savard's days, 16 out of 21 teams was getting in the PO, so it's kind of normal that they were not aiming to only make the PO like it is today, but we are in a league where 16 out of 31 teams are making it.

Although he's not entirely wrong and i agree this team has had low expectations and goals, his opinion today is worth the same as it did in 2012....where his opinion helped for the hiring of Marc Bergevin.

I respect the man and love what he did for the Habs, but he's not in the game anymore so i wouldn't want him as president.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I''ll be EXTREMELY surprised if anything happens.

I still expect either Kovalchuk to resign or be traded, i also expect Thompson to be move.
If there's anything out there for Kinkaid, Lindgren, Weise or Weal, i wouldn't be surprised to see them move also.

But i don't expect anything big either. Never expected it to begin with.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It wasn't a bad choice in itself. But the problem is that MB doesn't have someone to push him, Molson is too much of a slacker spoiled rich boy that is content.
It was a horrible choice. He's the GM. Day one he hires the worst coach in the NHL. Day two he passes over Jagr for Briere. Day three he gets Bouillion...

Molson didn't make him do this. He's been a terrible GM.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It was a horrible choice. He's the GM. Day one he hires the worst coach in the NHL. Day two he passes over Jagr for Briere. Day three he gets Bouillion...

i call that les gars de chez nous syndrome

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Savard helping choose Bergevin shouldn't really be held against Savard. At the time Bergevin was considered a rising star in the hockey world. Yes it turns out he's been a complete and total failure, but nobody could have predicted that. It's impossible to know for certain how a guy will do a new position, and quite frankly at the time Bergevin was saying all the right things. So you go with the guy who looks good on paper and hope when it comes down to it he can execute.

But you're right that Bergevin being bad has nothing to do with having a bad President of Hockey Ops. He's a terrible GM all on his own.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Was looking at the lineup for yesterday and we had only one player 23 or under (Suzuki). We had three players 24 but two of them (Domi and Drouin) are about to turn 25 in a couple of days. So much for being a young team. And it's not like the kids are doing well in other leagues either. I don't get people who are positive about our situation. They are making a push for the playoffs with veterans it's very clear to me. I fully expect MB to get some bottom 6 / 3rd pairing vets before the end of the deadline. He still believes.

He is putting himself in a very bad situation. Maybe he'll be able to get away but he's still putting himself up for failure. Lot of vets to resign next year. No open spot for kids. Not willing to go thru the pain of developing. Add the expansion draft to the mix and i could see him losing players while getting nothing in return or signing bad contracts. His prospects pool is not good enough as it is and his vets are getting older and too many of them are to be resigned next year. I think he'll crash hard but i'll give him the opportunity to prove me wrong since i don't have a choice anyway.

But in 3 years i hope nobody will talk about hindsight. I call it now and there will be no hindsight.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Savard helping choose Bergevin shouldn't really be held against Savard. At the time Bergevin was considered a rising star in the hockey world. Yes it turns out he's been a complete and total failure, but nobody could have predicted that. It's impossible to know for certain how a guy will do a new position, and quite frankly at the time Bergevin was saying all the right things. So you go with the guy who looks good on paper and hope when it comes down to it he can execute.

But you're right that Bergevin being bad has nothing to do with having a bad President of Hockey Ops. He's a terrible GM all on his own.

Savard is not the one keeping him in place for too long either. There was no problem with naming MB as a GM of the Montreal Canadiens. The problem is keeping him in place for a longer period of time than Houle. He should have been fired when the team crumbled after Price got injured.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Others have a GM who fulfill their needs.

Us we've one who's trying to fix his own messes.

Try to understand...

Reactions: BLONG7

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Others have a GM who fulfill their needs.

Us we've one who's trying to fix his own messes.

Try to understand...

I wouldn’t say all others, look at Toronto with wonder boy who seems to think he can give half his cap to players that don’t know how to play defense. Literally thinks he’s in Be a GM mode in NHL 20.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wouldn’t say all others, look at Toronto with wonder boy who seems to think he can give half his cap to players that don’t know how to play defense. Literally thinks he’s in Be a GM mode in NHL 20.
He made a mistake with Nylander, that opened the floodgates. He should've traded him for a D. That would've doubly helped them.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Sorry but at the time, Bergevin wasn't seen as a rising star…...by no stretch of the imagination.
Everybody knows a rising star, but here's a quote from Molson himself:

"At first it wasn't obvious, there were a lot of strong candidates with different profiles, and when Marc's name was brought up I knew very little about him," Molson said. "During one of our phone conversations, I even did a search on Google to make sure I knew what he looked like."

He was pretty much an unknown candidate.
Been assistant-GM for a couple of months not even a year…..hard to say he was making a mark in the GM department

Reactions: CrAzYNiNe

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He made a mistake with Nylander, that opened the floodgates. He should've traded him for a D. That would've doubly helped them.

Why are you assuming that a good D was available for Nylander?

What did you think of the Hall for Larsson trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad