Marc Bergevin: Apocalypse Soon Edition (XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
"You guys didn't do anything at the deadline..."

"Hey so, uh, I hear you lost to your own zamboni driver.."

That is NEVER going to get old.

10 shots in 30 minutes of game time against a goalie that never played in the NHL. They played like MB manages the Habs, conservative and stupid.

Reactions: BLONG7

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Sorry but at the time, Bergevin wasn't seen as a rising star…...by no stretch of the imagination.
Everybody knows a rising star, but here's a quote from Molson himself:

He was pretty much an unknown candidate.
Been assistant-GM for a couple of months not even a year…..hard to say he was making a mark in the GM department

Being unknown to Molson is meaningless. The guy is clueless to begin with, and is/has never been plugged into the NHL at all.

For Bergevin, he wasn't just someone Montreal was considering. He was getting profiled as a potential GM by numerous teams. Bergevin was a top tier candidate in 2012. He failed miserably, it happens. It's no different from drafting a guy with a top pick that turns out to be a complete bust, it happens because it's hard to predict how people will do.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
This statement is a little weird

Seeing as how they have lost to a zamboni driver... AFTER the "proper" rebuild.

That is a fair comment, but regardless of that - they have some great pieces that a GM with vision could use to build a real winner.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's a bit puzzling to me that Toronto is so bad. Do they have a lot of injuries? Has Tavares actually been overrated for years?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It's a bit puzzling to me that Toronto is so bad. Do they have a lot of injuries? Has Tavares actually been overrated for years?

You just cant have 3 players making 11 million dollars lol... i dont know why Dubas thought it would ever work out lmao

The reilly injury rly didnt help them, but...who cares right lol

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You just cant have 3 players making 11 million dollars lol... i dont know why Dubas thought it would ever work out lmao

It seems like it should be great to have three players who are worth 11 million.

Are they not?

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It seems like it should be great to have three players who are worth 11 million.

Are they not?
If one of them was a #1 D it would have maybe worked out................so they have 4 forwards making 40M on a 82M cap............there seems to be no money for a good group of Dmen....and just wait until Reilly wants more than 5M in 2 years, and Freddy wants more than 5 in one year and so on.........

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It was a horrible choice. He's the GM. Day one he hires the worst coach in the NHL. Day two he passes over Jagr for Briere. Day three he gets Bouillion...

Molson didn't make him do this. He's been a terrible GM.

If you think about it, given all the choices available, Bergevin was not a bad choice at the time given his balance as a recruiter for a championship team and former player. But he crawled under the pressure along the way and now he has lost the narrative.

I don't even think hiring Therrien was a bad choice. It wasn't a great one but not a horrible one. I maintain that Therrien was a solid choice to sort of put order in the place like he did in Pittsburgh. GMs alternate between soft coaches and hardass coaches. And a hardass one was needed at the time. I said back then that Therrien was fine for the time being as we were rebuilding things but the time the Habs would become a championship team he should not be the conductor of the ship, he should not the guy to take us there. But not only Bergevin fumbled too much and the plan went out the window far away from a contender but if Therrien was the old school guy, the next guy should have been someone with a different vibe with new ideas but MB went with someone in a simlar range, another old school guy with Julien because "he was too good an opportunity to pass up". That has been a problem.

Also having a guide over MB like Savard would have helped a lot and would have prevented MB from panicking and dropping the ball too many times. Molson did not have the guiding presence and did not have the hockey knowledge to set him straight or the backbone to push him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If you think about it, given all the choices available, Bergevin was not a bad choice at the time given his balance as a recruiter for a championship team and former player. But he crawled under the pressure along the way and now he has lost the narrative.

I don't even think hiring Therrien was a bad choice. It wasn't a great one but not a horrible one. I maintain that Therrien was a solid choice to sort of put order in the place like he did in Pittsburgh. GMs alternate between soft coaches and hardass coaches. And a hardass one was needed at the time. I said back then that Therrien was fine for the time being as we were rebuilding things but the time the Habs would become a championship team he should not be the conductor of the ship, he should not the guy to take us there. But not only Bergevin fumbled too much and the plan went out the window far away from a contender but if Therrien was the old school guy, the next guy should have been someone with a different vibe with new ideas but MB went with someone in a simlar range, another old school guy with Julien because "he was too good an opportunity to pass up". That has been a problem.

Also having a guide over MB like Savard would have helped a lot and would have prevented MB from panicking and dropping the ball too many times. Molson did not have the guiding presence and did not have the hockey knowledge to set him straight or the backbone to push him.
Bergevin was an unknown quantity. His selection can be forgiven. His duration cannot.

There's simply no way to defend Therrien's hiring. He was awful and always has been.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Savard is not the one keeping him in place for too long either. There was no problem with naming MB as a GM of the Montreal Canadiens. The problem is keeping him in place for a longer period of time than Houle. He should have been fired when the team crumbled after Price got injured.

Yea him being so ill prepared by what happened to Price and not finding quality goalies when he was down was unforgiveable. A whole season wasted. He should have been shown the door and that was another example of Molson lacking the balls for the job.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Cool thing is, no matter what happens with the trade deadline... at least we didn't lose to our own zamboni driver.
They will never live that one down.....Players have so much ammo to chirp away with now lol

Marchand will have a FIELD DAY with Leaf players, it won’t even be fair lol

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

3 soft players making 11 million, and the softest blueline in the NHL. Nice formula.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't share your sentiment with Therrien but you are right that MB lasting so long has been terrible.
There is so much empirical evidence of Therrien's incompetence (not the least of which is him having an eventual cup winning team out of the playoffs) that it's really not worth discussing. And there's zero doubt that his hiring was disastrous for us. He was the worst possible coach we could've hired.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
His biggest weakness is his planning. He doesn’t make things come together.

Again, he will go down the same path if he doesn’t trade Price, Weber, Petry, etc. He will go all-in next year. The kids are not strong enough (except maybe Suzuki) to plan a raise in team performance.

This all-in, even if it works full blast will lead to nothing more then a 1st or 2nd round exit but most probably it ends up another playoff miss because the other teams are also getting better.

He could have been a good GM but he is better suited as an excellent #2. Time to start calculating, sell and get a solid, talented core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad