Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
So basically nobody want Marner

Marner at 7-8 mill works but Marner at 11-12 is a recipe for disaster
Honestly as long as they add a real top 4 D and keep hitting everything that moves I couldn't care less what 3 amigos make in their prime.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
So basically nobody want Marner

Marner at 7-8 mill works but Marner at 11-12 is a recipe for disaster

He is not helping contenders if he can't help Leafs in playoffs. I also fail to see the upside of having an extra year of Marner for assets for anyone else.

Is there an angle I'm missing?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
We need to ship him and JT for bag of pucks ASAP.

Yeah, we can wait another year or two, but Matthews and Nylander are both in their prime now. Keeping dead weight costs us prime years of the best goal scorer in the league. Madness.

Reactions: arso40

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't see a trade happening.

Here is why:
Trading Marner is Leaf's own admission, no team can win the Cup with Mitch Marner. No contender is trading assets for Mitch, plus they would have to get rid of a solid player or two to accommodate his cap. Not happening.

That leaves teams that are trying to rebuild. GM trying to rebuild would have to be dumb to spend picks and prospects so he can overpay Marner.

If you are Utah GM, are you bleeding your assets to get Mitch now and help the Leaf ? Why not just overpay him - the way we did JT ?

I really don't get it, contenders don't need him, and the rest don't need him year sooner for the cost of their future.

Remember what the Islanders got for JT ? That's our return
I think most GMs thought “we can and we will” wouldn’t work because of poor cap allocations, and 31 GMs will explore the possibility of acquiring a talent like Marner……..

Funny side note, spell check tried to change his name to ‘earner’…..

Reactions: arso40

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't see a trade happening.

Here is why:
Trading Marner is Leaf's own admission, no team can win the Cup with Mitch Marner. No contender is trading assets for Mitch, plus they would have to get rid of a solid player or two to accommodate his cap. Not happening.

That leaves teams that are trying to rebuild. GM trying to rebuild would have to be dumb to spend picks and prospects so he can overpay Marner.

If you are Utah GM, are you bleeding your assets to get Mitch now and help the Leaf ? Why not just overpay him - the way we did JT ?

I really don't get it, contenders don't need him, and the rest don't need him year sooner for the cost of their future.

Remember what the Islanders got for JT ? That's our return
And Phil Kessel is a coach killer no team would want and you can’t win with him.

It doesn’t work here. Here. 8 times it doesn’t work. That doesn’t mean Marner or Nylander on another team doesn’t work either. The sum of the core here doesn’t work. All the salaries together here doesn’t work. The playoff chemistry doesn’t work.

There is always a team who will trade. We just need Marner to waive. I don’t know what is being said behind closed doors. Maybe he wants to stay, maybe he does want out. If he will waive, I’d be moving this summer.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It doesn't matter what any of you want. No NHL exec is trading Marner when JT is off the books soon.

No point getting in an argument with me when deep down in your stomach you know this too.

Imagine the stain on your resume being the GM who couldn't just wait out JTs last year when your team is still a top 5 contender by doing absolutely nothing this off season besides bringing back the exact same team
You could write off next year, too, but how do they acquire the top pairing 25 minute D man they need? Keep in mind it will take a yr before they gel can go on big run.

Maybe move out Rielly and Tavares contracts and sign some D this July.

That's funny. I usually just get 'Mariner'.
I didn’t capitalize the M….or it’s just AI I hear about.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Dreger says that he knows Darren Ferris well (makes sense given the embarrassing behavior by Dreger during the last contract negotiation) - mentions that Ferris prefers to have his clients go all the way down to free agency in situations like this where the player has a NMC

Reactions: SprDaVE

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dreger says that he knows Darren Ferris well (makes sense given the embarrassing behavior by Dreger during the last contract negotiation) - mentions that Ferris prefers to have his clients go all the way down to free agency in situations like this where the player has a NMC
He has that right.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Friedman and Kypreos echoed the same. Question is, will they pass up that 8th year if the Leafs do not blink?

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
You could write off next year, too, but how do they acquire the top pairing 25 minute D man they need? Keep in mind it will take a yr before they gel can go on big run.

Maybe move out Rielly and Tavares contracts and sign some D this July.

I didn’t capitalize the M….or it’s just AI I hear about.
Tre's reluctance to use the full LTIR relief (which implies we lose assets to make the trades and we don't even know if it would have been worth it, I guess the names weren't good enough for the price) suggests he's looking 10 years out. He wants to be a contender every year and not just a few.

Your first sentence falls in line with just waiting out JT's 1 year. The pieces are still there to make a deep run next year, then possibilites are endless after that.

We're not trading Marner just because of this unwritten rule we have to make this big splash in 24/25. The ages of our 3 stars set us up nice.

All 3 healthy, a top 4 D (doesn't have to be a big expensive 25 minute top 2), maintain the physicality....we are capable of a deep run going status quo. Status quo got an upgrade, it now includes being a hits leader.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Honestly as long as they add a real top 4 D and keep hitting everything that moves I couldn't care less what 3 amigos make in their prime.
They limited the Bruins to 1 goal in regulation and still lost. Georgiev was bad again last night but the Avs scored enough to overcome it against the top seed in the West. Our core cannot score in the playoffs. We need to move on from at least one of the 3 amigos.

I do not think they can match the intensity I am seeing in round #2. They got there once in 7 attempts, and wilted.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Friedman and Kypreos echoed the same. Question is, will they pass up that 8th year if the Leafs do not blink?
Both parties are communicating to each other through media members. This is going to be a long offseason lol

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
And Phil Kessel is a coach killer no team would want and you can’t win with him.

It doesn’t work here. Here. 8 times it doesn’t work. That doesn’t mean Marner or Nylander on another team doesn’t work either. The sum of the core here doesn’t work. All the salaries together here doesn’t work. The playoff chemistry doesn’t work.

There is always a team who will trade. We just need Marner to waive. I don’t know what is being said behind closed doors. Maybe he wants to stay, maybe he does want out. If he will waive, I’d be moving this summer.

Phil Kessel is a completely different scenario.

Phil was always regarded as a premier goal scorer in this league. His usefulness for a playoff contender is clear. Marner? give me a break, no one adding him to win the Cup.

edit: Phil could not cut it as number 1 guy here. Marner was 3rd best player on this team this regular season. Invisible in playoffs. The idea that he'll make it being number 2 or 3 elsewhere is funny.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Doesn't need to be an 8 year deal - he's already made bank, and it's entirely possible that he goes the Matthews route of taking a shorter term deal next summer, and then goes for a longer home run final deal that takes him into his 30s

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Both parties are communicating to each other through media members. This is going to be a long offseason lol
I just hope they do not cave to his demands like they did to Nylander if he is on a 120 point pace in January. Been there, done that.

I am 100% convinced these 3 will never win in the playoffs as a group, let alone with Tavares as he is today. They are too soft and do not have the will to do what it takes to win in the playoffs.

Doesn't need to be an 8 year deal - he's already made bank, and it's entirely possible that he goes the Matthews route of taking a shorter term deal next summer, and then goes for a longer home run final deal that takes him into his 30s
I claim that would be a mistake. He is not Matthews and his skating is not going to get better IMO.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I just hope they do not cave to his demands like they did to Nylander if he is on a 120 point pace in January. Been there, done that.

I am 100% convinced these 3 will never win in the playoffs as a group, let alone with Tavares as he is today. They are too soft and do not have the will to do what it takes to win in the playoffs.

I claim that would be a mistake. He is not Matthews and his skating is not going to get better IMO.

I hate that we think we can offset their weakness by inserting Reaves.

I can't imagine our core standing up and finishing the game after hits Pasta ate. Somehow I can't see Reavo sitting on the bench changing that. Or the fact that Pasta, unlike our core, takes the puck to the net - hence the punishment.

The weakness levels need to stay in NHL range for all of them. You can't have soccer players and hope Reavo will average it out.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Marner will play out the rest of his contract and not waive his no trade. That will be an unfortunate truth, but you can't blame Treliving, this is that Dumbass' fault that is now the GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Marner walks after next season, I cannot see him staying here with a hefty pay cut.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This situation seems different than your typical guy playing out his contract.
If the Leafs are willing I think Marner will lock in before reaching UFA.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

If I were the Leafs. I would start focusing on players that elevate and compete in the POs. It would be my primary focus at this point. JT and Marner won't get it done and I don't want either around. Generally you cant strip the C from a player and hope it goes well down the line.

Clutchlander is fine.

Matthews was screwed by Keefe not pairing him with the right wingers most the series. Health as well.

Rielly has just run his course and maybe fell from grace some. Maybe give him another shot and better pairing.

Tending is obvious.

Marner again has to be moved on from.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020

Friedman stated the same thing, but expects Marner still to be traded, because if the leafs tell him they won't re-sign him, he loses the 8th year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This situation seems different than your typical guy playing out his contract.
If the Leafs are willing I think Marner will lock in before reaching UFA.

I have no issue matching Nylanders contract of 11.5 x 8. That would be my incentive to keep Marner happy. The thing is I would not be offering a NMC. If it had to be in it, I would do NMC in years 6 7 8 and Limited beforehand.

You could also explore a year 1 2 3 NMC or similar if you really want to make this core work. Seems foolish to do that though.

Add. My reasoning for only matching Nylander is his contract was under on value to start. Marners was over. This balances things and doesn't create animosity.

Doubt he gets 12m on thw open market. These POs have been pretty obvious to the league.

Reactions: leafs in five

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Tre's reluctance to use the full LTIR relief (which implies we lose assets to make the trades and we don't even know if it would have been worth it, I guess the names weren't good enough for the price) suggests he's looking 10 years out. He wants to be a contender every year and not just a few.

Your first sentence falls in line with just waiting out JT's 1 year. The pieces are still there to make a deep run next year, then possibilites are endless after that.

We're not trading Marner just because of this unwritten rule we have to make this big splash in 24/25. The ages of our 3 stars set us up nice.

All 3 healthy, a top 4 D (doesn't have to be a big expensive 25 minute top 2), maintain the physicality....we are capable of a deep run going status quo. Status quo got an upgrade, it now includes being a hits leader.
I believe they need a stabilizing top minute D man that can move the puck. If they can’t move the puck and they decide to go to a dump and chase offence, then they need to add speed and size up front.

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
If we resign Marner, I am so done until his entitled little punk ass if off the team. Same goes for Tavares. These 2 are part of the leadership group of this team.

Marner playing the way he plays in the playoffs is just a disrespect on wearing that jersey. Being from Toronto, and knowing what type of leaders and players that played here in years prior, you would think you would put your heart on your sleeve. If you did, then fans would have your back, but you show absolutely nothing, but want only big pay days. The god comment is from being coddled too much from MLSE and from Dubas, Shanahan and Keefe, that made your head bigger than it is. I hope he's absolutely gone far and away from here. It would be good riddance. Rip the A off his jersey and get rid of this nuisance in the locker room.

Tavares saying "We're almost there", is just a slap to the face to the fanbase here and has no clue what leadership skills are. If he thinks the fanbase are clueless that, yeah we're so close to winning, sorry John, but your so f***ing delusional. I've had enough of the excuses and "we're learning" speech every god damn year. Strip the C off him, he is not leading anything on this team.

No one took accountability on this team again. Only one who actually did was Samsonov. He did his part in game 7, he kept the Bruins to 1 goal in the game. Keefe has to go as well. Trying to get Mitch going attaching him to Mattews is another way of coddling Marner again. When we know damn well, he either should have been playing way less time or be put on the 3rd or the 4th line with the way he was playing.

End rant/

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I don't see any way that Marner signs a deal without a NMC. That's damn near 100% he's getting traded without any say where he's going. Sign and trade sounds good for the Leafs, but Marner will ask for something stupid like $13 per season and then the team has to compensate the Leafs as well? That is a hard sell because current Marner isn't worth anywhere near that kind of cheese. I would think if the Leafs really do want to move on, and I sure hope they do but I have zero faith in Shanahan, there is a good chance he walks for nothing. Which is still better than bringing him back on a long-term deal, and it's not close. He needs to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad