Marc Bergevin: Apocalypse Soon Edition (XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
The Wings have a lot more to do to be a contender than just drafting Lafreniere. If the Oilers haven't become contenders after drafting McDavid, then the Wings won't be contenders after just drafting Lafreniere. Like the Oilers, the Wings need to build the rest of the roster up before they can even get a sniff to being contenders.

Since 2008 (and we'll add 2009 since they lost in the Finals), the Wings have only won 3 playoff rounds since then. And they never made it past the 2nd round. Now we know the Habs didn't win a cup, but since 2009, they did make it to the ECF twice.

If you were talking about the Wings winning the Cup last in 2015 and were in the conference finals like two years ago and now they are about to get a franchise player in Lafreniere, I would agree that it could be frustrating. Kind of like the rich get richer.

But as I mentioned, in the last decade, the Wings haven't done much. If anything, they've been getting worse as the 2010's progressed.

I agree with you but the main point is that the Wings will put themselves much closer of buidling around a better core than us by drafting Lafreniere or Stutzle/Byfield. While winning the Cup more recently than us.

The bolded. Exactly, they struggled and accepted that they needed to transition from their 2000s dynasty/franchise players. Away from the Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom/Franzen/Rafalski/Lidstrom. They put into place a GM that is willing to accept that fact and build from it. Steve Yzerman learned from the Drouin over Jones mistake and last year, he went for Moritz Seider because he knows they're hard to find. He's giving Detroit a purpose in drafting while our organization doesn't have any mentality in drafting, even less in developing young players. We need a change.

It's been 8 years since Bergevin took over. Or almost. it's time for a change. Many other franchises rely on bringing back former players and sometimes, former legends. I think its time for this organization to revamp and give Patrick Roy a chance. He's a hockey mind, the best in Junior and arguably among the best competitors this game has ever seen. Go get Larry Robinson, the best defenceman in this organization's rich history. A man who played the game right and ended the Broad Street Bullies and won the cup with the Devils as an assistant coach. Build an organization with respect and values and go all in. Don't turn this franchise into one that lacks respect to it's predecessors and the legacy.

Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki

Locks

May 28, 2005
I agree with you but the main point is that the Wings will put themselves much closer of buidling around a better core than us by drafting Lafreniere or Stutzle/Byfield. While winning the Cup more recently than us.

The bolded. Exactly, they struggled and accepted that they needed to transition from their 2000s dynasty/franchise players. Away from the Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom/Franzen/Rafalski/Lidstrom. They put into place a GM that is willing to accept that fact and build from it. Steve Yzerman learned from the Drouin over Jones mistake and last year, he went for Moritz Seider because he knows they're hard to find. He's giving Detroit a purpose in drafting while our organization doesn't have any mentality in drafting, even less in developing young players. We need a change.

It's been 8 years since Bergevin took over. Or almost. it's time for a change. Many other franchises rely on bringing back former players and sometimes, former legends. I think its time for this organization to revamp and give Patrick Roy a chance. He's a hockey mind, the best in Junior and arguably among the best competitors this game has ever seen. Go get Larry Robinson, the best defenceman in this organization's rich history. A man who played the game right and ended the Broad Street Bullies and won the cup with the Devils as an assistant coach. Build an organization with respect and values and go all in. Don't turn this franchise into one that lacks respect to it's predecessors and the legacy.

There are some points that can be discussed but it is a wrong thread for these points. But just as a quick reminder, we've gone down the path of bringing in the former players (Houle, Tremblay, Gainey, Carbo, The Roadrunner )with quite disastrous results.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

To me, this strikes me as the definition of insanity: put in place yet another ex-player, albeit a top player in his day, who fits the usual ethnic profile, and expect a different result.

I would like to see the team hire a president of hockey ops (I would prefer a player who had a reputation as a thinker, a guy like Joe Juneau or Bobby Smith), and scour the planet for a GM who is forward-thinking. A European choice would be perfectly fine. Perhaps even a woman... although I wouldn't hire one just to make a point, but if she outshines the other candidates, especially in the areas development and training. Not necessarily beholden to statistics to the exclusion of all else, because those guys (Dubas, Chaika) have their warts as well, but someone (or a management team) who can wear all of those hats, thinks critically, and is a bit of a contrarian. At the very least, I would make a point of interviewing several, with as broad a representation as possible, in terms of ethnicity and gender.

I would also want that kind of coach as well; again a Euro or an American, of either gender, would be okay: a strategist and motivator who has won everywhere he (or she) coached.

Last edited:

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
To me, this strikes me as the definition of insanity: put in place yet another ex-player, who fits the usual ethnic profile, and expect a different result. I would like to see the team hire a president of hockey ops (I would prefer a player who had a reputation as a thinker, a guy like Joe Juneau or Bobby Smith), and scour the planet for a GM who is forward-thinking. Not necessarily beholden to statistics to the exclusion of all else, because those guys (Dubas, Chaika) have their warts as well, but someone who can wear all of those hats, thinks critically, and is a bit of a contrarian.

I don’t totally disagree. Of course, having a true president or hockey ops would be tremendous. Get me a coach or GM that doesn’t need to speak French and I’m fine with it too. As long as they’re competent.

As for Patrick Roy, I like the idea of how he is competitive and actually knows the game and the management side of it. Steve Yzerman is a pretty good candidate and he managed team Canada etc. But Roy did coach the Avalanche and if you didn’t know he recommended the organization to choose MacKinnon over Seth Jones that year. It was an actual debate. Roy is a well known figure in the league but he would also bring respect to this team. You won’t see him wandering the NHL draft floor trying to show his muscles and trying to look better dressed than the prospects.

Apologize in advance, will get back to the NHL draft topic at hand.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I don’t totally disagree. Of course, having a true president or hockey ops would be tremendous. Get me a coach or GM that doesn’t need to speak French and I’m fine with it too. As long as they’re competent.

As for Patrick Roy, I like the idea of how he is competitive and actually knows the game and the management side of it. Steve Yzerman is a pretty good candidate and he managed team Canada etc. But Roy did coach the Avalanche and if you didn’t know he recommended the organization to choose MacKinnon over Seth Jones that year. It was an actual debate. Roy is a well known figure in the league but he would also bring respect to this team. You won’t see him wandering the NHL draft floor trying to show his muscles and trying to look better dressed than the prospects.

Apologize in advance, will get back to the NHL draft topic at hand.
I added a bit to my text. The original wasn't controversial enough to my liking.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Why not? How does having the draft at a slightly different date change everything?

If they hold it in June the assumption is that players with NHL contracts cannot be traded since the season will finish later in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad