Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Sign Calle Rosen to Two-Year Contract Extension

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This. No need to bring him up next year.

It shouldn't be difficult to find a guy to play on the bottom pairing for under 1m.

I generally agree. Borgman could even be that guy.

That said, his ELC starts next season regardless, and he's been a possession beast at the AHL level, and his two-way game has been awesome. So it's hard to imagine what else he needs to work on, given his natural speed and skill, combined with his improved possession and defensive game. Based on his usage in the AHL however, it certainly appears another year is in the cards.

Looking at the list of UFA d-men.... and there isn't much. Like, besides bringing Hainsey back or spending like 3Mish on someone, the lower end of the market is pretty brutal.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I would've liked to have seen more or him before extending him and I'm not sure why room hasn't been made for him if he seems sort of ''done'' with the AHL.

I hear we're looking for D-men. ;)

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
So we have approximatley 30.3M to sign;

- 6 forwards, incl. Matthews, Marner, Johnsson & Kapanen
- 2 defense
- 1 goalie

Our 2 spare defense and Sparks should cost only about 2.5M or so.

So 28M let's say to sign 6 forwards, including the 4 stated above.

More like $32m assuming cap goes up to $83m.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
We'll need guys like him, Grundstrom, Liljegren, etc to come up and contribute for cheap once Matthews & Marner's contracts kick in next season.

Zero risk move for us, and Rosen gets the security of a one-way deal.

I love that it's two years, if I were Rosen I probably would have held firm on a one year deal.

swint

Nov 16, 2014
Was scrolling through his Instagram page yesterday.... seems to love playing in Toronto, regardless of whether it's with the Leafs or the Marlies. Always happy to have a guy around who wants to be here!

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Surprised he took that money and that term after being here a couple years now. Kudos to him for continuing to chase the dream; he could have gone the Aaltonen route.

Dubas probably promised him a trade if things aren't working out by middle of next year.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
So next year we are looking at something like

Rielly Zaitsev
Dermott Oz
Rosen Liljegren
Xxx

Here is hoping Zaitsev and the 2nd pairing can hold it together. I guess Gardiner is not returning

If Oz is on our 2nd pairing and Zaitsev is on our top pairing, we will struggle to be more than a wildcard team. That is truly horrendous. Hainsey isn't good but he at least pushes those two down. We need RHD next season.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
So we have approximatley 30.3M to sign;

- 6 forwards, incl. Matthews, Marner, Johnsson & Kapanen
- 2 defense
- 1 goalie

Our 2 spare defense and Sparks should cost only about 2.5M or so.

So 28M let's say to sign 6 forwards, including the 4 stated above.

That looks tough but doable, if marner and matt can be signed at 18 (10+8) with bonuses, then i guess i can see them keeping both AJ and Kapanen.

Btw did u get at that number with marleau and Gardiner gone?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That looks tough but doable, if marner and matt can be signed at 18 (10+8) with bonuses, then i guess i can see them keeping both AJ and Kapanen.

Btw did u get at that number with marleau and Gardiner gone?

I only use players under contract currently. Not assuming any trades.

With a 83M projected cap, TOR would have $30,349,301 to fit Auston Matthews, Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson, Mitch Marner, and Par Lindholm to round out the forwards, as well as a backup goalie (Sparks) and three more defensemen (two playing, one more scratch).

Matthews - 11M
Marner - 8.5M
Johnsson - Don't Know TBH
Kapanen - 3-3.5ish on a bridge
Lindholm - 1-1.2Mish
Borgman - 750-800Kish
Ozhiganov - 1-1.5Mish
Marincin?- 800kish
Sparks - 900Kish

Roughly: 26.95 - 28.2M

So around 2.149 - 3.399M to sign Johnsson under the cap for a full 23M roster without trading Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev etc.

rBeaE7Z.png

Reactions: Leafling

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Wow, that is not good at all! Dermott & Rielly are great but Zaitsev is a whole bunch of meh, Oz & Rosen are barely proven and Lilegren is a complete wild card at this stage. I would be shocked if the Leafs - a legitimate Cup contender - enter the season that thin on defence.

Liljegren is not ready. Unless he has an incredible training camp he's likely another year away still.

If Oz is on our 2nd pairing and Zaitsev is on our top pairing, we will struggle to be more than a wildcard team. That is truly horrendous. Hainsey isn't good but he at least pushes those two down. We need RHD next season.

our cap situation would not allow us to get RHD in the UFA market; Gardiner is not going to re-sign with us for chump change; basically someone from roster is going to be moved. someone like Kadri is going to be traded from the forward group to get a serviceable D-man that can fit under the cap after Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson all get paid.

We had the opportunity to get a D-man for Nylander and improve team composition but we didn't. And now we have Dubas on record that he will not trade Nylander so it will be Kadri traded to get a decent RHD IMO; as trading Brown/Hyman would not get us a decent return back.

Marleau is not going to waive his NMC/NTC; only way that is even remotely possible is some how we win the cup this season and then may be Marleau agrees to it since he has the cup.

To be seen how it all pans out;

Last edited:

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I only use players under contract currently. Not assuming any trades.

With a 83M projected cap, TOR would have $30,349,301 to fit Auston Matthews, Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson, Mitch Marner, and Par Lindholm to round out the forwards, as well as a backup goalie (Sparks) and three more defensemen (two playing, one more scratch).

Matthews - 11M
Marner - 8.5M
Johnsson - Don't Know TBH
Kapanen - 3-3.5ish on a bridge
Lindholm - 1-1.2Mish
Borgman - 750-800Kish
Ozhiganov - 1-1.5Mish
Marincin?- 800kish
Sparks - 900Kish

Roughly: 26.95 - 28.2M

So around 2.149 - 3.399M to sign Johnsson under the cap for a full 23M roster without trading Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev etc.

rBeaE7Z.png

Thats a tall order getting Maathews and Marner to agree to 11 and 8.5 - I hope it can be done.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Sure they do. You can expect Zaitsev to be moved at a minimum to free up some space. Brown is a goner and perhaps Kapanen as well (there is your money for Gardiner or an equivalent). If they can't keep Matthews & Marner under $20 million (I expect they will collectively make more than that), Nylander may be gone instead of Kapanen. There is no way a defence as poor as that can hold up to a long season and playoffs.

Can you really see the leafs signing a 30 year old 2nd line defenseman to a 6 year 6+ million dollar contract during crunch time? Beacause that's what Gardiner will want.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
A little surprised by this. Thought he might have gone back to Europe

Why? That's more money than he'd make anywhere in Europe. Honestly, the Leafs have more than enough money to ensure any of their decent or potentially decent Euros from going back if its about the money if they want to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad