Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Sign Calle Rosen to Two-Year Contract Extension

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
So next year we are looking at something like

Rielly Zaitsev
Dermott Oz
Rosen Liljegren
Xxx

Here is hoping Zaitsev and the 2nd pairing can hold it together. I guess Gardiner is not returning
Wow, that is not good at all! Dermott & Rielly are great but Zaitsev is a whole bunch of meh, Oz & Rosen are barely proven and Lilegren is a complete wild card at this stage. I would be shocked if the Leafs - a legitimate Cup contender - enter the season that thin on defence.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wow, that is not good at all! Dermott & Rielly are great but Zaitsev is a whole bunch of meh, Oz & Rosen are barely proven and Lilegren is a complete wild card at this stage. I would be shocked if the Leafs - a legitimate Cup contender - enter the season that thin on defence.

They don't really have a choice. Their cap is too tight.

Rosen, Liljegren can move the puck better than Hainsey can, so that makes us better.

Rielly, Zaitsev and Dermott will carry a lot of minutes.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Great price. That is a few hundred thousand less than expected and with more term.

He's earned it.

Reactions: BigBlu

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
They don't really have a choice. Their cap is too tight.

Rosen, Liljegren can move the puck better than Hainsey can, so that makes us better.

Rielly, Zaitsev and Dermott will carry a lot of minutes.
Sure they do. You can expect Zaitsev to be moved at a minimum to free up some space. Brown is a goner and perhaps Kapanen as well (there is your money for Gardiner or an equivalent). If they can't keep Matthews & Marner under $20 million (I expect they will collectively make more than that), Nylander may be gone instead of Kapanen. There is no way a defence as poor as that can hold up to a long season and playoffs.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Rosen would have made the team if he didnt have those two terrible games in the end.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This does not indicate the he will be promoted to the Maple Leafs next year. He needs to be able to play into that and getting a contract extension is just a part of that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interesting. And nice to see.

For a while I had figured he’d just return to Sweden, but seems as if management likely indicated he’s got a solid chance at making the Leafs next season (or maybe earlier).

Should be at least a consistent replacement level NHLer

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Interesting. And nice to see.

For a while I had figured he’d just return to Sweden, but seems as if management likely indicated he’s got a solid chance at making the Leafs next season (or maybe earlier).

Should be at least a consistent replacement level NHLer

I think a trade is in works for a RHD and we maybe signing/trading Jake for example. Or maybe Jake isn't involved, just odd time to sign a guy, with all the rumors about trades happening more so then in past before freeze

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Cheap depth needed to fill out future rosters.

As we become more like the NBA with top players taking up the cap space these signings are vital to keeping depth coming through the organization.

Our recent work in signing these veteran Euro FA's will continue to pay off as we move closer to the end of the Matthews/Marner ELC era.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Cheap depth needed to fill out future rosters.

As we become more like the NBA with top players taking up the cap space these signings are vital to keeping depth coming through the organization.

Our recent work in signing these veteran Euro FA's will continue to pay off as we move closer to the end of the Matthews/Marner ELC era.

There was no need to sign him this fast in opinion unless there is a trade happening and we need to call a guy up. Though we didn't need to sign him to call him up...I feel like a deal is in works

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
There was no need to sign him this fast in opinion unless there is a trade happening and we need to call a guy up. Though we didn't need to sign him to call him up...I feel like a deal is in works

He signed for $750K...what is the point in waiting? We don't care if he makes 1 way money in the AHL. That's an advantage we have over some.

If you're getting the guy near the league minimum what could you possibly gain by waiting?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
So next year we are looking at something like

Rielly Zaitsev
Dermott Oz
Rosen Liljegren
Xxx

Here is hoping Zaitsev and the 2nd pairing can hold it together. I guess Gardiner is not returning
Liljegren is not ready. Unless he has an incredible training camp he's likely another year away still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad