Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Sign Calle Rosen to Two-Year Contract Extension

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Please trade Z
Please trade Z
Please trade Z
Please trade Z

I don’t think this is going to happen this year, but I think it’s a very doable task in the offseason.

It’s a contract that is likely about a 1mil overpayment and another team lacking rhd could carry. But it’s an albatross on a team that needs every cent of its cap to be maximized.

Dubas will frame it to other GMs as a cap casualty, we probably get depth or mid level prospect/picks in return, but will be worth it to be able to retain other secondary assets. Who would you prefer, Kapanen at 4.5 or Zaitsev at 4.5? I think this would be unanimous, and 4.5 is likely a stretch on what Kapanen will get.

Reactions: thewave

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Doughty's contract is going to be horrendous.

He skates well right now, but I think he's going to lose that.

, Not to mention it’s pretty clear that the star dmwn had Their most success during their younger years. The leafs pursuing them when they are even more expensive and have lesser physical abilities seems like a recipe for disaster to me

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Rosen should be playing in the NHL - he's got great top 4 potential IMO. I hope we give him a shot and don't Anton Stralman him

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Rosen should be playing in the NHL - he's got great top 4 potential IMO. I hope we give him a shot and don't Anton Stralman him

With a piddly cap hit like that and he sure will be playing in the NHL next season. I can promise you that!

Good move by the player and the GM here. Rosen makes himself valuable to have on the roster by keeping the cap-hit tiny, and the team gets to fill a roster spot on the cap-strapped 2019-20 team for pennies.

Reactions: JustAShadow

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Yup should be ahead of marincin
And Holl is just rotting
I don't understand the whole keeping someone stapled to the press-box thing. It helps noone. It's not like there's no room on D.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yup should be ahead of marincin
And Holl is just rotting
I don't understand the whole keeping someone stapled to the press-box thing. It helps noone. It's not like there's no room on D.

Both Holl and Marincin aren't even NHL level D. They are hardly backup level D and are probably more like emergency call-up level guys. Carrick was an NHL / legit depth D. Rosen looks like he should have a legit shot.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Need to tack a year or 2 on Gauthier's deal at Rosen money... Also Ozhiganov.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
At this price id say our left d are looking like rielly, dermott, rosen. Maybe lily takes bottom right d and i doubt we can move zaitsev so we have a few mill left to find someone to play with mo

Reactions: zaqq

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
At this price id say our left d are looking like rielly, dermott, rosen. Maybe lily takes bottom right d and i doubt we can move zaitsev so we have a few mill left to find someone to play with mo

Opton 1)
Trade for Gudas.
Contract through end of next season at 3.35m
Reilly Gudas
Dermott Zaitsev
Rosen Ozighanov

This D group costs 3.9 million less than this year.
He adds a better RHD and he is tough.

Option B
Trade for Gudas and Pysyk and dump Zaitsev to like Arizona.

Reilly Gudas
Dermott Pysyk
Rosen Ozi

Much cheaper than this year, and better.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Wait were the Marlies not the best team in the AHL last year I would think it means they have some good prospects to pick from. I don't get the hate.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

Gonna be strange to not have Gardiner on the team. But this is what I'm thinking now, as well. He will be too expensive to keep, and Dermott is looking like a legit replacement.

If Gardiner walks, I will understand. But Dubas needs to find a way to avoid this in the future. The reason Chicago was successful for more than just a year or two was because they traded away the players they couldn't keep, not just letting them walk. It would be better to move Gardiner now for a player who is cheaper and worse. But I really don't think that's going to happen.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Gonna be strange to not have Gardiner on the team. But this is what I'm thinking now, as well. He will be too expensive to keep, and Dermott is looking like a legit replacement.

If Gardiner walks, I will understand. But Dubas needs to find a way to avoid this in the future. The reason Chicago was successful for more than just a year or two was because they traded away the players they couldn't keep, not just letting them walk. It would be better to move Gardiner now for a player who is cheaper and worse. But I really don't think that's going to happen.

i just dont see how we can pay gardiner ~$6 million +. the pie is only so big and can only be sliced so many ways. it is a bummer. basically marleau's money is costing us gardiner.

the way i see things shaking out next season is;

rielly xxxxx
dermottt zaitsev
rosen lily (assuming he doesnt get out played by someone random like holl)

i wouldnt be shocked if the leafs extended hainsey for 1 more year. he isnt ideal but in the ~$2.5-3 million range there are limited options. the only other thing that would possibly make sense is to move kapanen for someone like montour?

hyman-matthews-nylander
johnsson-tavares-marner
marleau-kadri-brown
grundstrom-lindholm-xxxx

rielly-montour
dermott-zaitsev
rosen-lily

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
i just dont see how we can pay gardiner ~$6 million +. the pie is only so big and can only be sliced so many ways. it is a bummer. basically marleau's money is costing us gardiner.

the way i see things shaking out next season is;

rielly xxxxx
dermottt zaitsev
rosen lily (assuming he doesnt get out played by someone random like holl)

i wouldnt be shocked if the leafs extended hainsey for 1 more year. he isnt ideal but in the ~$2.5-3 million range there are limited options. the only other thing that would possibly make sense is to move kapanen for someone like montour?

hyman-matthews-nylander
johnsson-tavares-marner
marleau-kadri-brown
grundstrom-lindholm-xxxx

rielly-montour
dermott-zaitsev
rosen-lily

Rosen may have a 50/50 chance of making the team, Lily has zero chance of making it next season, he is bad defensively in the "AHL" Leafs D is not that easy to set up.

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This signing means he's in the plans for next season. I think this spells the end for Gardiner in Toronto, unfortunately. The Leafs can't afford him unless he takes a massive discount, which I doubt he does. Dermott will likely be expected to step into his role and Rosen will move onto the third pairing. Still hoping we can add a top 4 guy on the right side though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad