Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Sign Calle Rosen to Two-Year Contract Extension

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
I only use players under contract currently. Not assuming any trades.

With a 83M projected cap, TOR would have $30,349,301 to fit Auston Matthews, Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson, Mitch Marner, and Par Lindholm to round out the forwards, as well as a backup goalie (Sparks) and three more defensemen (two playing, one more scratch).

Matthews - 11M
Marner - 8.5M
Johnsson - Don't Know TBH
Kapanen - 3-3.5ish on a bridge
Lindholm - 1-1.2Mish
Borgman - 750-800Kish
Ozhiganov - 1-1.5Mish
Marincin?- 800kish
Sparks - 900Kish

Roughly: 26.95 - 28.2M

So around 2.149 - 3.399M to sign Johnsson under the cap for a full 23M roster without trading Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev etc.

rBeaE7Z.png

Well i honestly thought our cap issues were way worse than this judging by the countless cap issue comments and videos.

Still think we get matthews n marner a bit lower than that, but ya 2 to 3 for AJ would be a sweet deal. Think we can get a decent return for Brown too if it comes down to keeping him or sighing AJ n Kap. Good stuff!

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
LOL. The Shanaplan was NOT to pay aging players a premium to come here. Pretty much the antithesis. But, rather, to be patient and draft well and build from the ground up. The fanbase was on board.

No way JT grew up sleeping in his Leaf pyjamas dreaming about Patrick Marleau. His die was cast long before that overreach. JT doesn't feel "safe" because of Marleau!! LOL. Really kind of insulting.
Why didn't MLSE have Marleau flipping pucks around in an empty arena instead of Marner???? Would have been way more "safe".......

Okay. You can explain Stamkos away then.

Marner was used as incentive because it meant JT would have a really dynamic playmaker to feed him pucks.

Convincing him it was a good fit was a separate part of the process. Being able to show him they were able to bring in star players and treat them right was another.

JT was not a slam dunk. It required a lot of convincing. Read Friedman’s article on it for a glimpse into everything that went into it.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
If I remember correctly, we played a lot on the right side in the SHL as well. He doesn't necessarily need to be penciled in on the left.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Funny thing is, Borgman did beat out Rosen for the gig. Obviously, the pecking order has changed now, but Rosen has had two underwhelming camps to date. Looking good in the AHL, does he have the defensive game to stick here.

Rosen did look off in training camp. He's been great in the AHL though.

I don't expect him to be much more than a bottom pairing and press box defenseman, so anything more is just gravy.

The important thing here is that he's cheap and signed for a couple seasons.

Last edited:

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
If I remember correctly, we played a lot on the right side in the SHL as well. He doesn't necessarily need to be penciled in on the left.
Rosen, Borgman, Dermott, and even Rielly all have experience on the right side but Babs is incredibly reluctant to play them there.

for some reason only Hainsey breaks this rule.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
St. Louis is taking on $3m extra in salary on this deal.
I think signing Rosen cheap is a sign the leafs are looking for a stud 25 plus minute a night defenceman
doughty Karlsson caliber

I'd ship nylander and zaitsev or Gardiner for doughty in a heartbeat

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think signing Rosen cheap is a sign the leafs are looking for a stud 25 plus minute a night defenceman
doughty Karlsson caliber

I'd ship nylander and zaitsev or Gardiner for doughty in a heartbeat

We have to sign guys for cheap no matter what we acquire on D due to the big 4 up front. Its a requirement.

Reactions: Menzinger

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yeah, lower NHL salary than a QO but much higher guaranteed money should he spend time in the AHL.
Which is irrelevant to the Leafs, I'm hoping that leveraging 1 way deals and signing bonuses to provide lockout security could help keep our depth player cost down by couple hundred k per player. Could add up to a couple million in savings when all is said and done.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Which is irrelevant to the Leafs, I'm hoping that leveraging 1 way deals and signing bonuses to provide lockout security could help keep our depth player cost down by couple hundred k per player. Could add up to a couple million in savings when all is said and done.

Yeah, one way at a slightly lower cap hit makes sense for both sides in a case where the player may not be a full time NHLer.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Good start to next seasons plan.
LD Rielly - Dermott - Rosen (it will be fine)
RD Oz - Holl - Marincin (it still needs a lot of work)

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So next year we are looking at something like

Rielly Zaitsev
Dermott Oz
Rosen Liljegren
Xxx

Here is hoping Zaitsev and the 2nd pairing can hold it together. I guess Gardiner is not returning

Woof, that could get rough.

Even if Dermott-Oz can be a good 2nd pairing as early as next year (might be pushing it), we need an upgrade on Zaits badly.

I think Zaitsev is a serviceable #4/5, but top pairing? I dunno....

Reactions: PromisedLand

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
So next year we are looking at something like

Rielly Zaitsev
Dermott Oz
Rosen Liljegren
Xxx

Here is hoping Zaitsev and the 2nd pairing can hold it together. I guess Gardiner is not returning
Hopefully Zaitsev gets traded so we can re-sign Gardiner instead.

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Ozhiganov
Rosen-Liljegren

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
If Dubas can get Pietrangelo, Gardiner might get traded at the deadline. Dubas wasn't a big fan of losing JVR and Bozak for nothing according to the message I read from a raven parchment.

Dubas has done something that has escaped most on this board.

And might have escaped even Micheal Nylander.

Half of Nylander's contract is being paid out in bonus money, sure he has the cap hit, but any team acquiring him, has to only pay Nylander 3 million something a year.

Nylander is as good as gone, just needs to start scoring to get the bidding war going.

Nylander would look good in St. Louis blue and gold.

Shows how incredibly rich MLSE is to do something like that.

Turns Nylander into an incredibly valuable trading chip.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Good start to next seasons plan.
LD Rielly - Dermott - Rosen (it will be fine)
RD Oz - Holl - Marincin (it still needs a lot of work)

That right side is a nightmare.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Rosen extension prime example of Maple Leafs' plan to juggle around stars - Sportsnet.ca
Rosen is a classic late bloomer and the type of player who stands to benefit from the constraints of a salary cap system. It’s no secret that the Leafs will feel the pinch when new deals for Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner kick in next season, joining John Tavares and William Nylander as part of a $40-million-plus Core Four, and so they’re already looking for other areas of the roster where they might find relief.

Having a potential third-pairing defenceman earning $750,000 — just $50,000 above league minimum — is a pretty good start.

The Leafs bought insurance on a couple fronts by getting the Rosen extension done now.

In the event they’re unable to retain pending unrestricted free agent Jake Gardiner, which seems increasingly unlikely given how little room they’ll have to work under a projected $83-million cap, they have another left shot option ready in the queue to play behind Morgan Rielly and Travis Dermott.

There is also very little risk for the Leafs with this contract since it won’t count against the cap if they decided to send Rosen back to the AHL at any point in the next two seasons.

That probably won’t be necessary given how well he played in helping the Marlies win the Calder Cup last spring and with the growth he’s shown since returning in the fall. Rosen is logging major minutes and has produced 19 points in 24 AHL games this season.

If it all goes to plan, he will be a prime example of how the Leafs look to populate their roster when they’re paying big bucks to all of the offensive stars.

They need to establish a continuous pipeline of replacement-level players to fill in around the margins — either those on entry-level contracts or affordable deals like Rosen’s. It will likely continue to take them to Europe in search of free agents, a practice that former general manager Lou Lamoriello pursued aggressively.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Rosen did look off in training. He's been great in the AHL though.

I don't expect him to be much more than a bottom pairing and press box defenseman, so anything more is just gravy.

The important thing here is that he's cheap and signed for a couple seasons.
Totally agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad