Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Andreas Johnsson to 1 year, $787k two-way contract

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is a bad deal. Leafs should have tried to pay him 1.5 for 4 years, or something. He is gonna be a very good player. Now he may demand as much as 5m on a longer contract next year.
He needs to score 25plus goals with a strong playoffs to earn 5mil a yr. Horvat signed his deal last summer for 5.5mil/yr. AJ needs to pretty much have stats like Willie and Mitch to have a 5mil deal.
Not that I don't like AJ but he won't get the PP time. MAtthews, JT, Kadri, Willie, Mitch, Marleau, will get more PP time.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Marleau is not playing out his contract here. He has to be shipped with no money coming back if we have hopes of keeping Brown, Hyman, Kapanen and Johnsson around for the extent of their U27 years.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nylander hasn't put up 34 goals and 70 points in 75 games played though.

Pastrnak signed for just six years though. If you want Nylander for eight years, you will have to pay about 7M. I hope the Leafs get Nylander for eight years.

Marleau is not playing out his contract here. He has to be shipped with no money coming back if we have hopes of keeping Brown, Hyman, Kapanen and Johnsson around for the extent of their U27 years.

I think that is going to be extremely tough. Marleau wants to play and he has an NMC. I highly doubt he will accept a trade to another team when he knows the Leafs are his best chance to win it all.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why was it a two-way then if they risk losing him on the way down - seems odd?

It was the qualifying offer, and with Johnsson's accomplishments required the QO to be a way contract. He won't be in the AHL regardless, in the 0.1% chance we put him on waivers, someone else will claim him

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The counter argument to all this would be that Pasternak was more productive in the last year of his ELC than Nylander has been this year. Add to that, the gap just widened even further this year in terms of production (particularly goals) and the Leafs have a good case that Nylander doesn't deserve the %cap that Pastrnak gets.

Pasta also had a 30+ goal and 70 point season under his belt, think we see lower side of 8.00-9.00% for Nylander, ala Ehlers and Forsberg.

I should make the point that I am not making the argument that Nylander deserves more than Pastrnak, and indeed while I have said that 6x7M would be very slightly less than Pastrnak received, 7x7M would be a good deal worse than what Pastrnak received.

The Leafs can argue that Pastrnak had a better final year of his ELC. Nylander's agent can argue back that Pastrnak had only one good year among the 3 years - the year he was playing with Marchand and Bergeron. Nylander had two good years, and overall had a higher PPG throughout his ELC, while also have a decent number more 5v5 points in his final year (Pastrnak benefitted from more PP time, and being on a much stronger PP unit).

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Pastrnak signed for just six years though. If you want Nylander for eight years, you will have to pay about 7M. I hope the Leafs get Nylander for eight years.

I think that is going to be extremely tough. Marleau wants to play and he has an NMC. I highly doubt he will accept a trade to another team when he knows the Leafs are his best chance to win it all.

He'll win the cup next year with the Leafs and then pull a Hossa.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
This is a bad deal. Leafs should have tried to pay him 1.5 for 4 years, or something. He is gonna be a very good player. Now he may demand as much as 5m on a longer contract next year.

Yep. Priority for Leafs should have been term. We don't need value this year. Cap crunch comes next year. 1.4 (hypothetical 3x1.4) is much easier to take next year compared to 2.6.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013

It's the working assumption I guess... Everything hinges on it. And as far as anyone knows, it's pie in the sky. Such a dumb, indulgent, selfish, short-sighted, unnecessary deal by Lou.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's only the 2019-2020 season that will be an issue with Marleau...

In terms of Brown, Hyman, Kapanen, Johnsson, I think we have to think about the possibility of a) losing one to expansion and b) trading one for a D.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013

Don't count on it. The (2nd) best thing about the Leafs winning the Cup next year probably won't be Marleau coming off our books, but a major boost in league revenue and the pushing up of the salary cap.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Leafs should have tried to pay him 1.5 for 4 years, or something.

Why would he ever agree to that?

You know how we all wish we had him locked up cheaply because we expect good things this year? Imagine how much confidence he has in himself. He's got an easy path to a top 9 job in one of the most loaded forward groups in the league. He's not going to sign at a super cheap price for 4 years.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

You know how we all wish we had him locked up cheaply because we expect good things this year? Imagine how much confidence he has in himself. He's got an easy path to a top 9 job in one of the most loaded forward groups in the league. He's not going to sign at a super cheap price for 4 years.
Heck why not go for broke and give him a 3m 8 year deal? :sarcasm:

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Nylander for 6x7M would be less of a percentage of the cap than Pastrnak received. Nylander for 7x7 would be a significantly better deal than Pastrnak got.
Pastrnak's contract if I am not mistaken was a 6 year deal. If you are buying into prime UFA years you will pay more

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Pastrnak's contract if I am not mistaken was a 6 year deal. If you are buying into prime UFA years you will pay more

I agree completely. I meant a better deal for the team not the player. If Nylander signs for 8 years I think it will be for 8M. If he signs for 7 I think it will be for 7.25-7.5M. If it is for 6 they might get him to sign for a little under 7M.

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

We have no hope of keeping all 4 around long-term. We need to follow the Chicago model and keep a steady stream of Bolland/Bickell/Saad/Shaw/Kruger etc. coming from outside the first round. Use them while they're cheap, trade them when they're not, replace them from within. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

A lot of posters here think that, while they are brilliant, the players and their agents are really dumb.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
We have no hope of keeping all 4 around long-term. We need to follow the Chicago model and keep a steady stream of Bolland/Bickell/Saad/Shaw/Kruger etc. coming from outside the first round. Use them while they're cheap, trade them when they're not, replace them from within. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

This is pretty much it. You have to hope you can supplement with bargain contracts - but ultimately, good players are going to want to get paid and there's only so much cap space to go around.

The Browns and Hymans of the world are replaceable parts when they start asking for 4+million a year.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Guess the Leafs are losing one or more of those players then. Marleau has a NMC for a reason. Bottom line is that Lou made some bad deals and there are consequences for bad deals.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I’m a big Johnsson fan, But would agree there is zero incentive for the leafs to lock him up long-term right now. Even if he has a great season and puts up like 40 points, he’s not going to get much more on a second deal than Brown did.
I agree. A long term deal is stupid because he is currently in the leafs control. I believe a 4 year deal will make him a UFA. Sign him to term once he has established his value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad