Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Andreas Johnsson to 1 year, $787k two-way contract

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
This deal looks a lot less tilted to the Leafs in light of this. Johnsson is banking, that with that stacked Leafs forward corps he will be able to produce enough to be able to get an arbitrator to give him a big pay-raise next season... or get UFA status. This was a smart deal from his perspective; short term loss but he is in a much stronger position next season.
My question is, how good a season would he need to get that 'big' pay raise?

I think even now he could have got $1-2M on a short term deal. Is $3M really a 'big' jump? If Brown gets $2.1M after 20 goals and nearly 40 points, what does Johnsson need to do to bring his number up?

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
“That’s the price of winning”.

What have they won?

“I didn’t say that”.

Lol

Edit. Wrong person I replied to.
?

He said the price of winning would be losing AJ/Kapanen as cap casualties, which we haven't done yet. Not sure why you'd be focused on the fact that we haven't won anything yet when the first clause hasn't even been satisfied

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Who have the Leafs lost exactly?

If the Leafs need to win something before we can celebrate being good, why do you get to be all doom and gloom before we actually have any cap casualties to speak of?
Dude I just wanted Johnsson locked into a Brown/Hyman type deal. I’m a big believer in him, he’s gonna have a monster year and it’s gonna cost the leafs big time next year.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I'll reserve judgement until I see what the opening night roster looks like and how the remaining cap space is used. We don't know what is in store between now and October 3.

If AJ wins the bet on himself that is ultimately a great thing for the Leafs anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Dude I just wanted Johnsson locked into a Brown/Hyman type deal. I’m a big believer in him, he’s gonna have a monster year and it’s gonna cost the leafs big time next year.
I did, too. I took no issue with that stance, only that you were calling people out for doing the exact same thing you were doing.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
% of cap.

6.66 = 8.8% of cap
7 = 8.88% of cap in 2018
Pastrnak was signed for 8.89% of the cap in 2017. As far as I know the cap for 2018/19 is 79.5 in which case 7M would be 8.805%
The counter argument to all this would be that Pasternak was more productive in the last year of his ELC than Nylander has been this year. Add to that, the gap just widened even further this year in terms of production (particularly goals) and the Leafs have a good case that Nylander doesn't deserve the %cap that Pastrnak gets.

Reactions: Smif and ToneDog

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I do not get why people are in a hurry to lock up a player long term who has proved nothing. He took his qualifying offer and if he thinks he is on his way to some huge payday he is wrong. He will be playing on the 3/4line this year and possibly some pp time on a 2nd unit that is not going to get much more then 30 seconds of a Pp. he willl be on the PK as well so may play 10 -12 minutes max a night. Likely less.

He is also a player they may have to move if they go shopping for a D man as part of a trade the contract makes him attractive as there is no additional term and he still will be a RFA after this year.

Reactions: OddyOh

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’m a big Johnsson fan, But would agree there is zero incentive for the leafs to lock him up long-term right now. Even if he has a great season and puts up like 40 points, he’s not going to get much more on a second deal than Brown did.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I do not get why people are in a hurry to lock up a player long term who has proved nothing. He took his qualifying offer and if he thinks he is on his way to some huge payday he is wrong. He will be playing on the 3/4line this year and possibly some pp time on a 2nd unit that is not going to get much more then 30 seconds of a Pp. he willl be on the PK as well so may play 10 -12 minutes max a night. Likely less.

He is also a player they may have to move if they go shopping for a D man as part of a trade the contract makes him attractive as there is no additional term and he still will be a RFA after this year.
Yeah I really like Johnsson but I think a lot of people are putting the cart before the horse by penciling him in for 40+ like it's a sure thing.

Reactions: OddyOh and Burnie97

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
It would have been great to get him on a Hyman/Brown type of deal but after this year, maybe Dubas will be able to convince Johnsson to take a deal like that if he gets 40-50 points.
Who knows how great of a year he will have, he will likely be playing with Kadri, so that should boost his point total up fairly high.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Good deal for the Leafs. Although maybe he'll end up competing with Ennis for ice time. Makes more sense than Ennis competing with Leivo for ice time if Johnsson is not playing on the PK.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
This is a bad deal. Leafs should have tried to pay him 1.5 for 4 years, or something. He is gonna be a very good player. Now he may demand as much as 5m on a longer contract next year.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
This is a bad deal. Leafs should have tried to pay him 1.5 for 4 years, or something. He is gonna be a very good player. Now he may demand as much as 5m on a longer contract next year.
If he's good enough to ask for 5m a year, we can always trade him for something pretty substantial.

Reactions: OddyOh and EXTRAS

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Dubas didn't really do anything here, he made the qualifying offer which is an amount set out by the CBA and Johnsson accepted it.

Bingo! My guess is they only offered him long term deals and thats why Johnsson took his qualifying offer, which really isnt a good deal

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Still an RFA after this contract, although he can have arbitration rights after one more pro season. If he has a monstrous year I will worry then, but I’ll probably be happy as well. It’ll mean we have a trading chip later.

Reactions: kb

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Pastrnak was signed for 8.89% of the cap in 2017. As far as I know the cap for 2018/19 is 79.5 in which case 7M would be 8.805%
Pasta also had a 30+ goal and 70 point season under his belt, think we see lower side of 8.00-9.00% for Nylander, ala Ehlers and Forsberg.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
This lights a fire in his butt to produce good numbers this year (think contract year), ultimately could be the reason of low cost/term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad