Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Andreas Johnsson to 1 year, $787k two-way contract

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Sure, let's bridge Nylander... I mean, if our goal is to probably lose him in 2 years that's a terrific idea.

Do people not realize that Nylander has enough going for him that he could probably demand close to 6 mil on a bridge deal anyway? What is the point...
I hope he does hold out ....andreas jonnson could slide up in willies spot to start the season .
this Mathews and nylander so called MAGIC is baseless .
my guess is Mathews makes people look better ,as does tavares who has proven this with inferior linemates on long island .
nylander really is kind of a tier lower than marner and Mathews ,IMO cant drive a line or hed be a trusted center .
he needs hymans puck retrieval a lot .
its so nice having a superstar and leader now ,we can get away from the coddling and sense of entitlement ,for all we know the leafs have nylander slotted in on kadri "s line ,will he get 61 points ?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm predicting that Johnsson will have an offensive year similar to Brown's rookie season. With a similar motor and faster feet and it being two years later, Johnsson will earn himself a little more than Brown got ($2.2 to 2.5M). Giving Johnsson that money this summer would have been a mistake. There have been many players who have looked good in their first 10 to 15 games in the league then regressed. I like this situation. It's going to push Johnsson to do his absolute best. And it appears that he is welcoming this kind of high stakes challenge.

It really is a best case scenario. Providing he performs I fully expect Dubas to come in with a long term "too good to refuse" offer in the spectrum of Arvidsson/Jarncrok. With or without arbitration rights precedent is that one good year isn't enough for supporting talent to get paid market value with term. If he has a Brown/Hyman rookie year year I wouldn't be surprised at a 5-6 year 2.5-3.5 av deal that sets us up very well at wing through the balance of Tavares contract.

Two years would have been nice with the 2019 cap crunch but 2 years of performance track record + a year closer to UFA would make the long term low ave deal very unlikely

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I hope he does hold out ....andreas jonnson could slide up in willies spot to start the season .
- Nylander holding out would be in no way a good thing, and Andreas Johnsson, as much as I have hopes for the kid, isn't a first liner

- no, they were pretty magic together far more often than not

my guess is Mathews makes people look better ,as does tavares who has proven this with inferior linemates on long island.
- quite possible that Matthews makes players better, but that doesn't mean that's why Nylander is productive with him

nylander really is kind of a tier lower than marner and Mathews ,IMO cant drive a line or hed be a trusted center .
- no, Matthews is a tier above Marner, and the jury is still out on which of Marner/Nylander will end up being the better of the two. And Nylander isn't a center because we haven't needed him to be... not a lack of ability.

he needs hymans puck retrieval a lot.
- no, he really doesn't

its so nice having a superstar and leader now ,we can get away from the coddling and sense of entitlement ,for all we know the leafs have nylander slotted in on kadri "s line ,will he get 61 points ?
- no, we already know Nylander is with Matthews as per Babcock. Also what are you even talking about with coddling & entitlement?

my thoughts in red

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
I've seen a lot of people criticize the Leafs for not locking him up for dirt cheap over multiple years as if we're the only people who can see his value.. You don't think he also knows he can make more if he banks on himself? It's like everyone thinks this is a video game and Johnsson is a faceless avatar that's too stupid to recognize his own potential and will just sign away his life to play for 1-2 million every season instead of trying to become a 4, 5, 6 million dollar player down the line.

JuanSnow

Mar 5, 2016
Ideally I would have given him a bit more to get a 2 year deal so we can get past the 19-20 season choke point.

If he has a good year now this will only make our troubles worse next season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I've seen a lot of people criticize the Leafs for not locking him up for dirt cheap over multiple years as if we're the only people who can see his value.. You don't think he also knows he can make more if he banks on himself? It's like everyone thinks this is a video game and Johnsson is a faceless avatar that's too stupid to recognize his own potential and will just sign away his life to play for 1-2 million every season instead of trying to become a 4, 5, 6 million dollar player down the line.
He's probably looking at outplaying Marleau and Hyman for a spot on that deadly top-6, but the poor guy doesn't realize Babcock would never let him sniff either of those lines even if he does outplay both of them (which I'm predicting he will).

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
my guess is Mathews makes people look better ,as does tavares who has proven this with inferior linemates on long island .

This is a really bad take.

Seems like you just want to take pot-shots at post-millennials?

Reactions: stickty111

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
He's probably looking at outplaying Marleau and Hyman for a spot on that deadly top-6, but the poor guy doesn't realize Babcock would never let him sniff either of those lines even if he does outplay both of them (which I'm predicting he will).

Let's keep in mind that despite his love affair with Uncle Leo, Babcock dropped him in the playoffs in favor of Johnsson. He's also dropped Nylander more than once from Matthews line. Its not actually Hyman and Marleau that he has to out hustle. Its Marner and Nylander, who have more than once ended up in Babcock's doghouse.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Interesting that Leaf fans see things so differently. I can't agree with anything you wrote here! Willy is a top talent in his own right and will only get better ! He is 22 remember, lots left to see there.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Let's keep in mind that despite his love affair with Uncle Leo, Babcock dropped him in the playoffs in favor of Johnsson. He's also dropped Nylander more than once from Matthews line. Its not actually Hyman and Marleau that he has to out hustle. Its Marner and Nylander, who have more than once ended up in Babcock's doghouse.

Wrong. Komarov got injured in the Boston series... that is why Babcock took him out of the lineup.

And yes... he put Nylander and Marner on the 4th line during the season... that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. Babcock doesn't know what the heck he's doing.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Interesting that Leaf fans see things so differently. I can't agree with anything you wrote here! Willy is a top talent in his own right and will only get better ! He is 22 remember, lots left to see there.

Nobody will agree with anything he said.

I stopped reading when he said the Matthews-Nylander thing. One of the top 5 on 5 lines in the league is baseless lol.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Nobody will agree with anything he said.

I stopped reading when he said the Matthews-Nylander thing. One of the top 5 on 5 lines in the league is baseless lol.
Well , us fans are entitled to our observations...but some make me think...'the heck ya watchin' . Anyway ,if its true that Hyman is moving to another line then I'm curious to see who takes his place...Babs finds another grinder in camp maybe? Or does he go with more skill?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Wrong. Komarov got injured in the Boston series... that is why Babcock took him out of the lineup.

And yes... he put Nylander and Marner on the 4th line during the season... that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. Babcock doesn't know what the heck he's doing.

No. Komarov stank. He stank all year and he stank in the playoffs. Babcock knows what he's doing. Some people, however, don't like his methods.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
No. Komarov stank. He stank all year and he stank in the playoffs. Babcock knows what he's doing. Some people, however, don't like his methods.

Yes, Komarov stank all year and in the playoffs. I agree with that. Babcock gave him a ton of ice time despite sucking.

Komarov got injured in the playoffs and Babcock didn't play him in the following game because he was injured... not because Babcock benched him. Understand?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Yes, Komarov stank all year and in the playoffs. I agree with that. Babcock gave him a ton of ice time despite sucking.

Komarov got injured in the playoffs and Babcock didn't play him in the following game because he was injured... not because Babcock benched him. Understand?

Komarov claimed he was healthy. Babcock didn't put him back into the lineup. Understand?

Reactions: stickty111

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Komarov claimed he was healthy. Babcock didn't put him back into the lineup. Understand?

Yes, that could be true. He may have been ready to go back by game 6 or game 7. Maybe Babcock finally realized that Komarov wasn't good by that point.

But my point still stands that he only reason he came out of the lineup is because he got injured... not because Babcock benched him.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'm surprised that Johnsson's puck retrieval ability is being heavily underrated here. The guy would be perfect with Pens Malkin as he can retrieve the puck, hold on and make very few mistakes to boot. He's just as tenacious as Hyman, a stronger skater and has the two-way ability to keep the puck alive in the offensive zone.

Personally, I can see Johnsson on the first line and his production would climb as well.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
This is a no lose situation for the Leafs, and I'm happy Johnsson bet on himself. If Johnsson breaks out and has a 30 goal season, then fantastic, the Leafs have a hard decision to make and will probably sign him to term for cheap (because he does not have the pedigree of a top pick and only a rookie season). In that scenario if they did sign him for 2 years at 1M or something, and he has two 30 goal seasons, it would cost the team more in the long term anyway.

If he doesn't break out, then they sign him for value at the end of next season anyway or trade him. I don't really see the downside here.

Reactions: 4thline

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Huh? He's played 15 NHL games. No one is going to offer sheet based on that.

It makes him the perfect guy for an offersheet. Either they use a small asset (2nd round pick between $2-4M) and bet on his upside, or they make us overpay for a current depth player and hurt our cap.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It makes him the perfect guy for an offersheet. Either they use a small asset (2nd round pick between $2-4M) and bet on his upside, or they make us overpay for a current depth player and hurt our cap.

I guess my point is, why would teams target a 3rd/4th line winger who has played almost 2 full AHL seasons, and only has 15 NHL games at the age of 23? I must be missing something. Realistically, over the years, how many other teams had better players available and a worse cap situation, and had not been offer sheeted?

Are you thinking only because all the teams in the league would want to screw the Leafs? Chicago was a powerhouse in cap hell several seasons ago, and no one offer sheeted anyone.

It just doesn't make sense on any level. Nobody knows what he is yet, even the Leafs. For all anyone knows, he could be a bust (I don't think it's likely, I like the player a lot).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->