Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Andreas Johnsson to 1 year, $787k two-way contract

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Per Leafs PR

I had honestly thought he'd get at least $1M even though he was unproven. Might be in for a big contract if he plays really well this year in the top 9.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Would have liked to have signed him to a Brown/Hyman type of contract. But this is fine too! Highly doubt he has to worry about how much he would be making in the minors.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
even if he puts up connor brown rookie year numbers he wont be getting a giant raise, no point signing him to a longer deal with higher salary until he puts up the numbers. show us what you can do kid!!!

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Hopefully he has a good year and takes a connor brown type deal eventually

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Would have liked to have signed him to a Brown/Hyman type of contract. But this is fine too! Highly doubt he has to worry about how much he would be making in the minors.
Yeah, I wanted to get him locked up long-term early, before he has a chance to maximize his potential - Fine with players betting on themselves, though. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full year to prove himself.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
This is not a good thing for Dubas. I'm sure Dubas would have wanted to sign him to a long-term cheap deal like Arvidsson. Instead, Johnsson bet on himself and took the shorter term.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It does make sense for him since he'll have more room to argue for a bigger deal after a full NHL season. Although I was hoping they could get him signed to a multi-year deal this summer to ease the cap crunch next season a bit. But makes sense for him to bet on himself a bit here and just take the qualifying offer.

I'm not sure you can say it's a positive development or good on Dubas. Getting him signed to a multi-year deal at a cheap cap hit would have been a win for Dubas. Instead may have a tougher job next summer. Looks as if Johnsson didn't want to patiently negotiate during the summer.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
if he has a successful year, somewhere between hyman and brown you can see him getting about the same as those 2. guess we will have to have that 20 goal countdown for AJ

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This is not a good thing for Dubas. I'm sure Dubas would have wanted to sign him to a long-term cheap deal like Arvidsson. Instead, Johnsson bet on himself and took the shorter term.

Arvidsson had already played almost two full seasons when he signed his deal. So they're not really comparable.

I didn't want to go 5-7 years on AJ yet. Still not proven enough to warrant it. But a 2-3 year deal would have been sweet.

Reactions: Kelly

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He accepted his QO so not much the Leafs could do. If he didn't sign his QO, they could have negotiated a longer contract.

Smart from Johnsson though since he'll surely get a bump in production if he plays to his potential, and he can a decent contract next off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad