Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Andreas Johnsson to 1 year, $787k two-way contract

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Smart move. He has shown promise, but he needs to do it over a larger sample size to earn a multi year deal.

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
Bit confused here. If I am Johnsson and his agent, why would you not aim a bit higher?

I'm sure Dubas would've happily paid 1-1.5M at 2 years on a 1-way deal. I am not sure if he is waivers-exempt, but if he is and he falters he is losing big money as he'll be making AHL salary and if he isn't performing his next contract wont be much different than this. If he plays well this season, how much extra is he really making? Seems like there is loads of risk and limited gain here.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This isn't really a steal for a player with 9 NHL regular season GP...

Would've liked a longer deal.
He'll ask for a raise next year

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Bit confused here. If I am Johnsson and his agent, why would you not aim a bit higher?

I'm sure Dubas would've happily paid 1-1.5M at 2 years on a 1-way deal. I am not sure if he is waivers-exempt, but if he is and he falters he is losing big money as he'll be making AHL salary and if he isn't performing his next contract wont be much different than this. If he plays well this season, how much extra is he really making? Seems like there is loads of risk and limited gain here.

He's not waiver exempt.

He's betting on himself here. He prob thinks he can come in this year, probably play with Naz on the 3rd line, get some PP and PK time, ~40 pts, and then next summer sign a 3-4 year deal around $2-3M (like Hyman and Brown did).

Why settle for 2 years at $1.25M, when 12 months from now he can prob get 3 years at $2.5M?

Reactions: Raymoondo

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, I wanted to get him locked up long-term early, before he has a chance to maximize his potential - Fine with players betting on themselves, though. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full year to prove himself.

someone mentioned this was the qualification deal. so if this was so, why only 1 year? interesting.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I don't really remember the last time someone accepted his QO. Nice to have him back, but he could ask for at least 2,5M next year if he has a really good year, and he has all the potential.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Because he can get that next season (1M to 1.5M) easily with low and moderate production. If he plays to his potential, he can easily get over 2M per over a few years.

The risk is well worth it for him. He's going to play with good players in a prominent role.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Better deal for the team this season, better deal for Johnsson on his next contract. Should still work out well for both sides going forward.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
We have $15+ million in cap space. Johnsson being a bargain this year is irrelevant. A 2nd year was crucial, a 3rd ideal, due to the upcoming cap crunch. Instead it seems Johnsson bet on himself and Dubas couldn't convince him to take that extra year or two. He could be our first cap casualty as soon as next off-season depending on his production.

Last edited:
Reactions: rojac

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
He's not waiver exempt.

He's betting on himself here. He prob thinks he can come in this year, probably play with Naz on the 3rd line, get some PP and PK time, ~40 pts, and then next summer sign a 3-4 year deal around $2-3M (like Hyman and Brown did).

Why settle for 2 years at $1.25M, when 12 months from now he can prob get 3 years at $2.5M?
If he can't be waived then it makes more sense, as no way the Leafs risk sending him down as he'd be claimed, so he is locked in at that salary. However, even so, my point is that the risk would seem much higher than potential benefit. I think my main point is that unless he has a HUGE year (which would be amazing) I think the potential increase in his value would not be worth the risk on his end.

Over three years, the wager he making is that he could make ~5.787 M ($787K x 1+ 2.5M x 2 (C. Brown's 20 goal season being the comparable)), while he likely could have made a guaranteed 3M in the first two years and whatever the next contract would be worth (say 2.75M given one extra year of development) = 5.75M (1.5 M x 2 + 2.75M x 1) if he negotiated with Dubas this season.

Obviously contract length matters, but I don't think this one year will earn him much more than 3 years, which I think he could have received this year. But he may blow us all out of the water this year, who knows.

Last edited:

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
So we have 15.5mill left to sign Nylander ahahaha, too good. Even more if we decide to LTIR Horton. I think we may not this year and do that next yr when 34 and 16 are up for new deals..which I still think we may well sign 2 or all 3 of them before summers end.

1. Tavares contract sets prescidence for the other 3. So him making 11m a yr bonus heavy deal, so lockout protected..I think the other 3 will be signing similar structured deals.

2. Mirtle has inside scoop and said before that our other 3 may take a lot less then people are thinking. Remember he knew about JT at 1245am July 1st but wasn't allowed to say officially. We know its true because Dubas said they were up till 4am doing contract work.

In summary JT took 2.5m less to play here. He and Matthews you can say are equal players..maybe Matthew's potential is higher due to age and he was hurt 4x last yr and still did well.

So Matthew's signs equal or 1 to 1.5mill less than JT. Marner deserves 8.5 to 9 but discount may take 7.5 7.775. Nylander 6 to 7mill..discount 5.5 to 6m.

Add it up

JT 11m
Matthew's 10.5m
Marner 7.75m
Nylander 6m

35.25million Total.

I added it up and with ltir Horton we would be over by 10mill next yr if the cap went up by 5mill. Good thing we have the best cap guys in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad