Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Andreas Johnsson to 1 year, $787k two-way contract

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Sure, let's bridge Nylander... I mean, if our goal is to probably lose him in 2 years that's a terrific idea.

Do people not realize that Nylander has enough going for him that he could probably demand close to 6 mil on a bridge deal anyway? What is the point...

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Sure, let's bridge Nylander... I mean, if our goal is to probably lose him in 2 years that's a terrific idea.

Do people not realize that Nylander has enough going for him that he could probably demand close to 6 mil on a bridge deal anyway? What is the point...
Why would we lose him in 2 years?

Obviously you'd only bridge him if you can get him down to ~$4.5M for at least 2 years, until Marleau's contract comes off the books and our major cap crunch is behind us.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Why would we lose him in 2 years?

Obviously you'd only bridge him if you can get him down to ~$4.5M for at least 2 years, until Marleau's contract comes off the books and our major cap crunch is behind us.

Nylander stats already making him a mid 5s player at least imo.

And we'd probably lose him because he's entirely likely have two very productive years and the cap will also likely increase too. He could easily cost 1-1.5m more on the following contract over what the long term extension would have been.

It's an underrated thing to think that long term contracts you sign actually appreciate in value while the cap grows (which could be significant growth when Seattle comes in, like Vegas has). Y

Going short term just throws all that additional cap into the players pocket instead of increase our depth budget

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Nylander stats already making him a mid 5s player at least imo.

And we'd probably lose him because he's entirely likely have two very productive years and the cap will also likely increase too. He could easily cost 1-1.5m more on the following contract over what the long term extension would have been.

It's an underrated thing to think that long term contracts you sign actually appreciate in value while the cap grows (which could be significant growth when Seattle comes in, like Vegas has). Y

Going short term just throws all that additional cap into the players pocket instead of increase our depth budget
$1-1.5M more on the next contract wouldn't be that big of a deal, I don't think. ("[Throwing] all that additional cap into the players' pockets" is a bit of an exaggeration in this instance, I believe.)

I don't know the guy personally, but if you told Dubas that he could keep everyone on his current roster through the 2019/20 season, and all it would cost him was an extra $1-1.5M for Willy each year (that he's earned) afterwards, I think he'd be fine with that. As much as I believe we have a management team that has one eye on our long-term structure at all times, I also believe that they understand how competitive we can be over the next couple of years, and have a hard time seeing them shipping out quality guys like Marleau, Zaitsev or Brown if they can avoid it.

I understand that there are some long-term implications when bridging a player, but I think we also have a very smart, very creative head office that might not mind getting creative in order to try and maximize both their short- and long-term chances at success.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This is great in the wake of the Tavares signing, the one year deal sets us up much better long term if he (turns out to be a player) than a 2 or 3 year deal (giving him 4 to UFA being just dumb. Realistically one good rookie season is not enough for a huge payday, whereas 2-3 years of consistent performance is. With the money committed to the core any deal to Johnsson more than 1 year would have pretty much guaranteed that it was his last as a Leaf if he emerges as a top 6 player.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm predicting that Johnsson will have an offensive year similar to Brown's rookie season. With a similar motor and faster feet and it being two years later, Johnsson will earn himself a little more than Brown got ($2.2 to 2.5M). Giving Johnsson that money this summer would have been a mistake. There have been many players who have looked good in their first 10 to 15 games in the league then regressed. I like this situation. It's going to push Johnsson to do his absolute best. And it appears that he is welcoming this kind of high stakes challenge.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I said this on the main board thread too, but Dubas should have signed Johnsson for 5 million, one year, and then sign Nylander 11 million for one year (assuming we have 16 million in cap.

Then sign them long term Jan 1, at a discount, on account of paying them way above market value for a single year.

Instead of paying Johnsson 2.5 over 5 years, you pay him 1.5 x 5, instead of paying Nylander 8 years x 7 or 7.5 you pay him 8 years x 6.5

and then when July 1st comes Johnsson says no to your 7.5 million over 5 year offer(5 x 1.5) because to keep him RFA you have to give him his QO which will be above 5 million for 1 year. And you don't have any recourse because a pre planned deal is circumvention. Nylander would be slightly less inclined to do the same since it's 51 million dollars he'd be turning down to get a 11 million QO. but if he did you'd pretty much be forced to give him market value eventually whether in a long term deal or, year by year QO/arb.

There's a reason these 1 year overpay and Jan 1 extensions to keep future cap down don't happen. In the UFA case the player is taking the risk as the team doesn't have to agree if an injury happens(team could also take some risk the player just walks for a bigger payday), in the RFA case the team takes the risk as the player isn't forced to accept the extension later when he can make even more.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm predicting that Johnsson will have an offensive year similar to Brown's rookie season. With a similar motor and faster feet and it being two years later, Johnsson will earn himself a little more than Brown got ($2.2 to 2.5M). Giving Johnsson that money this summer would have been a mistake. There have been many players who have looked good in their first 10 to 15 games in the league then regressed. I like this situation. It's going to push Johnsson to do his absolute best. And it appears that he is welcoming this kind of high stakes challenge.

Difference is Andreas will be *arbitration eligible*, which means the team will be looking at doling out more than what Hyman got, probably in the $3 mil+ per year if he manages 40 pts, with no escape clause if he does regress. If the team paid him now at Brown levels for say 4 years, even if he regressed, he could have been bought out after a couple years for pennies on the dollar.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Mirtle has said that the Leafs are probably looking at 7M for Nylander for 6 or 7 years - higher if it is for 8 years (maybe 8M according to his chart). He also said that Leafs missed the window to get Nylander on an Ehlers or Barkov type deal (Thanks Lou). Negotiations with Marner will likely be worse. And that Matthews is probably aiming at 11.7 - 12.2M, but that the Tavares deal might entice him to sign for 11M.

I have seen nothing from Mirtle suggesting that the all four will be signed on long-term deals for 35M total. We also have the bizarre situation where we have the same people bragging about how the Leafs have hired 3 cap experts while claiming that the Leafs have no conceivable cap problems going forward. Doesn't work that way. Dubas has hired 3 cap experts because he recognizes how brutally hard it is going to be to be find a way to make the Leafs situation work under the cap constraints. The big three are not signing cheap. If they take home town discounts they will be small ones. If that was the case they would be already signed. Going forward non-core players are going to be offered short-term very low money deals, and if they are not ok with that they will be replaced by other cheap depth players.

Not sure how they missed ehlers contract window. They have identical numbers in reg season and ehlers showed up in the playoffs..and they went way farther.

But anyway...I'm not worried we have Pridham and that other guy we hired this week 2 of the best cap wizards.

Will be interesting if we choose to put Horton on LTIR or not...I have a feeling we have 1 or 2 moves left.

1 glaring one is we have what 6 goalies.

Andersen, Mc, Sparks, Picks, Kask, Heeter and that kid from Martin trade.
No phD needed one or 2 are gone. Most likely its between the first 3 I listed.

We may get a D ufa still Hamhuis is out there played for Babcock, stay at home quiet and solid..only issue is hes 35 but maybe we need another vet back there. There is another D ufa out there I thought may fit but his name eludes me lol.

Or we go trade route. I dont see Leivo on this team ever. Hes lester than Johnsson, Kapenen and points aside (Minnesota days) Ennis has wheels and heart...maybe the change will reinvorgorate him as the Schenn for JVR deal did for JVR. I recall his sabre days..he was a leaf killer..fast asf 46 and 43pts then missed basically a whole yr and was never the same. Either way looking past him Grundy is better suited than Leivo right now too. We lost some sand in Leo. Grundy plays mean and is a rock in front. Likewise Mason Marchement maybe a dark horse..fast, can score with a mean streak like his daddy. Any of those guys get my vote over Leivo

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Not sure how they missed ehlers contract window. They have identical numbers in reg season and ehlers showed up in the playoffs..and they went way farther.

Because Ehlers was signed a year ago - and Jets probably saved a million a year by signing him at that time - so looking at his play and playoffs this year is irrelevant.

Will be interesting if we choose to put Horton on LTIR or not...I have a feeling we have 1 or 2 moves left.

It would be insane if the Leafs choose to put Horton on LTIR. It would completely screw them for next year with bonus carry over. The reality is the Leafs are in cap hell. I don't expect Dubas to do anything other than minor additions and subtractions until he has Matthews, Marner and Nylander signed and he knows what he has to play with. If many months from now Matthews and Marner look like their bonuses will be minor or non-existent he could bring someone in at the trade deadline.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Glad he is signed and on the cheap. Wish he didn't accept the qualifying offer though and we could have got him for 2 years at say $1 million AAV to help with the tight cap in 2019-20. If he has a big year, it will make things that much tighter.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Ehlers signed his extension before the third year of his ELC, putting up 0.66ppg up to that point in his career.

Nylander over the last two seasons: 0.75 ppg.

Should only be making comparisons based on what a player accomplished prior to signing a contract, as that is the criteria upon which the contract was negotiated at that time.

Also need to factor in how the cap has gone up. Even if Nylander and Ehlers had exactly the same production, Ehlers signed for 8% of the cap, which would come to $6.36m on a 79.5m cap. Add in Nylander's superior pre-contract performance and $7m seems to be in the right ballpark, take or leave $200k.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ehlers signed his extension before the third year of his ELC, putting up 0.66ppg up to that point in his career.

Nylander over the last two seasons: 0.75 ppg.

Should only be making comparisons based on what a player accomplished prior to signing a contract, as that is the criteria upon which the contract was negotiated at that time.

Also need to factor in how the cap has gone up. Even if Nylander and Ehlers had exactly the same production, Ehlers signed for 8% of the cap, which would come to $6.36m on a 79.5m cap. Add in Nylander's superior pre-contract performance and $7m seems to be in the right ballpark, take or leave $200k.

You also need to factor in Nylander has an extra year of RFA that Ehlers didn't have. 4 RFA/2 UFA is a little bit different than 5 RFA/1 UFA. More like a lot actually.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
You also need to factor in Nylander has an extra year of RFA that Ehlers didn't have. 4 RFA/2 UFA is a little bit different than 5 RFA/1 UFA. More like a lot actually.

I'm not sure I follow. Nylander and Ehlers both have 7 years of RFA eligibility. Nylander still has 4 years left on his RFA status, much like how Ehlers will when his new contract kicks in this season.

Yes, Ehlers signed his second deal earlier in his career but it's not like the Jets paid for an additional RFA season. He was owed one more season on his ELC then his new contract kicked in to take him through the next 4 RFA seasons and 2 UFA seasons. This is exactly what the Leafs would be paying for if they went 6 years for Nylander.

Willy's AAV probably does goes up the longer his next contract runs, though. More UFA years to buy. Comes at a premium.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
He'll be the best bang for your buck signing in the league this year outside of the top end ELC contracts.
This season isnt the problem...no big deal this season, what if he puts up 40+ points and looks for money which we aren't ready to give next season and beyond? He might price himself out of Toronto. Not that a 40+ season for him won't be welcome though as he can easily be traded...not a bad return on a 7th round pick

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You do know how many players have been offer sheeted in the past 10 years right?

Im well aware but he's the perfect type of player for an offer sheet. Team would either give up a minimal asset (2nd round pick between 2-4M) or they'd make it so we overpay him if we feel he's worth keeping at 4M.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Im well aware but he's the perfect type of player for an offer sheet. Team would either give up a minimal asset (2nd round pick between 2-4M) or they'd make it so we overpay him if we feel he's worth keeping at 4M.
So what makes him any different than any other player with the same characteristics and upside that could have been offer sheeted in the last 10-20 years?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm not sure I follow. Nylander and Ehlers both have 7 years of RFA eligibility. Nylander still has 4 years left on his RFA status, much like how Ehlers will when his new contract kicks in this season.

Yes, Ehlers signed his second deal earlier in his career but it's not like the Jets paid for an additional RFA season. He was owed one more season on his ELC then his new contract kicked in to take him through the next 4 RFA seasons and 2 UFA seasons. This is exactly what the Leafs would be paying for if they went 6 years for Nylander.

Willy's AAV probably does goes up the longer his next contract runs, though. More UFA years to buy. Comes at a premium.

Nylander's first ELC year he played I think 22 games. At 18 or 19 you have to play at least 40 to earn 1 of your 7 years toward UFA. He didn't so when his ELC runs out he has 5 RFA years left.

The same 6 years only eats 1 UFA year for Nylander. Even a 7 year deal is our favour compared to Ehlers as its the same 2 UFA years but an extra RFA year. Only if it goes 8 years does it start to spike with extra UFA years and even then there's the extra RFA year(5 and 3 compared to 4 and 2) to counteract it.

This doesn't always help in negotiations however. Draisaitl also had the extra RFA year and it didn't help the Oilers but well... it's the Oilers.

Reactions: IBeL34f

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Whose feelings did I hurt.....Troll Stomper? Considering I only have posted once or twice in the past month or so makes it easy to narrow down lol

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Nylander's first ELC year he played I think 22 games. At 18 or 19 you have to play at least 40 to earn 1 of your 7 years toward UFA. He didn't so when his ELC runs out he has 5 RFA years left.

The same 6 years only eats 1 UFA year for Nylander. Even a 7 year deal is our favour compared to Ehlers as its the same 2 UFA years but an extra RFA year. Only if it goes 8 years does it start to spike with extra UFA years and even then there's the extra RFA year(5 and 3 compared to 4 and 2) to counteract it.

This doesn't always help in negotiations however. Draisaitl also had the extra RFA year and it didn't help the Oilers but well... it's the Oilers.

Oh, I was unaware of this. Thanks for clarifying.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So what makes him any different than any other player with the same characteristics and upside that could have been offer sheeted in the last 10-20 years?

Whats different is our known salary cap issues come 2019-2020. We need cheap depth and losing him or overpaying is not ideal.

Easily something a team who wants to f*** us over can do, and its not like they're going after a Nylander so it's not like revenge is imminent.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Whats different is our known salary cap issues come 2019-2020. We need cheap depth and losing him or overpaying is not ideal.

Easily something a team who wants to **** us over can do, and its not like they're going after a Nylander so it's not like revenge is imminent.
And this is the first time its happened to a team in under the same retraints in the salary cap era???? Time to start thinking a bit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He looks to have better tools than Connor Brown. I'd keep him over Brown when it comes time to doing some cap balancing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad