Injury Report: Mantha

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it will be interesting if Mantha and Zadina are going to play together, so this should be a real assessment of where Zadina is at as a scorer. He is going to be out there with our best offensive weapon, but that is absent a forechecker and net front guy, sort of surprised Glendening isn't the guy in the middle of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: newfy

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That is the most expensive and one of the worst lines in the league. Strange to think.

I first did not like your 3rd line, but then maybe it should be tried.
Though Zadina and Fabbri should play together.
I assume you mean the 4th line? Because that 3rd line isn't expensive at all. The 4th line is really expensive but I dont see Blashill scratching any of those guys anytime soon.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think it will be interesting if Mantha and Zadina are going to play together, so this should be a real assessment of where Zadian is at as a scorer. He is going to be out there with our best offensive weapon, but that is absent a forechecker and net front guy, sort of surprised Glendening isn't the guy in the middle of that.

It doesnt matter what theyre absent, Mantha against Montreal is guaranteed offense. Need Zadina to score or get a couple points tonight just to shut Habs fans up from last season. Talking about Zadina being a bust and how much better Kotkaniemi is and how Zadina saying hes gonna fill their net will never happen. Playing with Mantha against Montreal is a great way to do it.

With a real shooter back too, teams are going to stop shading to Zadinas side like they have been quite a bit

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't understand the whole mantha vs Montreal thing. His offensive production against mtl isn't different than other teams. 9 points in 15 career games vs montreal… nothing special. Worse than his career average ppg, actually.

If anything, Mantha does worse against Montreal than other teams.

Last edited:

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
The main issue here is that thanks to all the whining and bellyaching about the Oilers getting all the top picks, the NHL went to a lottery.
So... who are the teams since 2013 who've successfully tanked their way to greatness?
Toronto?
Here are the top 3 picks since 2013 - the first lottery.
Mackinnon - went to round 2 once.
Barkov - One playoff series
Drouin - One long playoff run, but while he was good, they were already a great team before he got there.
Ekblad - One playoff series
Reinhart - ZERO playoff games
Draisaitl - One trip to round 2
McDavid - one trip to round 2
Eichel - Zero playoff games
Strome - zero playoff games
Matthews - Never been beyond round 1
Laine - Conference finals. Round one.
Dubois - Round 1 and Round 2
Hischier - one playoff series
Patrick - One playoff series
Heiskanen - Went to round 2
Dahlin - no playoffs
Svechnikov - Went to conference finals
Kotkaniemi - no playoffs.
----
So far, nobody picked in the top 3 of the NHL draft in the lottery era has been to the SCF, let alone won the cup.
It's hard to say there's a reliably proven way to tank anymore.
Yeah, you need to lose and you need high picks. But the odds are against you getting a top 3 pick.
And even if you do, does it help you?

Crosby was in the Stanley Cup finals within three years of his draft
Patrick Kane won the cup 3 years after his draft. Toews 4 years.
Doughty won the cup 4 years after being drafted.

Why isn't that happening anymore?

They had the advantage of teams still fixing their rosters after the cap was introduced.

But to answer your question in red. It is cause those top picks from previous decade are still mostly the ones winning the cups. The exceptions being Boston and St. Louis.

9 of the past 11 cups are the tankards. Teams like Toronto and Tampa are the gonna be favourites for a while (yes I know they under-performing this year).

2009 - Pittsburgh
2010 - Chicago
2012 - LA
2013 - Chicago
2014 - LA
2015- Chicago
2016 - Pittsburgh
2017 - Pittsburgh
2018 - Washington

2011 - Boston
2019 - St. Louis

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The thing that's changed @Mlotek is that in today's era, young studs are getting paid on their second deal.
Boston lucked out a bit with Pasta. But teams like Edmonton and Toronto are into the cap fire before they've ever won.
That's where we may get lucky if we can turn this ship around while Larkin's still on his $6M deal.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pretty sad if there are people on Twitter/Instagram etc, wishing anyone head trauma over a guy on a rival sports team. I hate Brad Marchand and Claude Lemieux with a passion, but would never wish physical or mental harm on them. It is just a game, ridiculous to lose your mind with that kind of nonsense!

Reactions: kliq

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
They came out and said it was shoulder related? I must have missed the update. This entire time, I thought he had a head injury.

According to rumors, he’s avoided concussion protocol and he left Saturday night with his arm in a sling. The team hasn’t said anything specific.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Pretty sad if there are people on Twitter/Instagram etc, wishing anyone head trauma over a guy on a rival sports team. I hate Brad Marchand and Claude Lemieux with a passion, but would never wish physical or mental harm on them. It is just a game, ridiculous to lose your mind with that kind of nonsense!

Leafs fans for you. I lost brain cells reading the Muzzin/Mantha discussion on the main board.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

It really is, some fans are complete idiots who take a game way to seriously. I dislike many teams and players (add Lucic to who you listed and those are my top 3 lol), but I would never wish serious injury to any of them. Its one thing to be happy that a guy received a hard hit because he deserved it, its another to wish for a concussion, torn ligament etc.

Lets not forget that it was some Toronto fans that cheered when Kevin Durant tore his Achilles, as a Raptors fan I remember being so embarrassed when that happened. Probably the same idiots.

Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
They came out and said it was shoulder related? I must have missed the update. This entire time, I thought he had a head injury.
I don't know anything other than what I saw on the replays. It looked like his shoulder took most of the energy. His head made contact too, but after the shoulder. I just kind of cringed watching all that weight land on that shoulder.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015

I agree and disagree. You named 2 people that I throroghly enjoy see getting their ass whooped.

But yes I'd not wish a severe injury upon anyone especially a head injury.

But a broken nose, jaw, missing teeth...that's a different story, for certain dirty players.

Reactions: gbdet and Snuggs

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The thing that's changed @Mlotek is that in today's era, young studs are getting paid on their second deal.
Boston lucked out a bit with Pasta. But teams like Edmonton and Toronto are into the cap fire before they've ever won.
That's where we may get lucky if we can turn this ship around while Larkin's still on his $6M deal.
It's changed because som GMs lack the balls to keep their RFAs in line.

Sweeney also did a good job with McAvoy.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

I mean I might be a little off, but I don't ever mind watching Marchard or Claude Lemieux get a punch to the face... Kinda makes me happy actually!

But that's about it, I don't want either guy to die or have permanent head trauma something that's a little much!

I agree and disagree. You named 2 people that I throroghly enjoy see getting their ass whooped.

But yes I'd not wish a severe injury upon anyone especially a head injury.

But a broken nose, jaw, missing teeth...that's a different story, for certain dirty players.

Just seen this, totally agree! :clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad