Injury Report: Mantha

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
@greggkrupa
zadina's term in #Detroit, by
@Dwakiji blashill: "We'll treat it 100 percent day to day. The one thing we're going to do, both myself and Steve, is we're going to make sure that it's in his best interest long-term. If he comes in here and plays unbelievable, that's good... "

@wingingitmotown
·
7m
It's a much better way of saying "well with Mantha out for a while, we've got to make sure we don't cross the 9-game threshold with Zadina that would allow his contract to slide, so he'll be here until we have to call up Svechnikov instead

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Well sucks no Mantha tomorrow night, was looking forward to seeing him play.... But Zadina is a nice back up plan, hopefully he gets some solid ice time. Also hope the building is half empty tomorrow, which it likely will be. First time going to the LCA and Ford Field... Any reccomendations for pre and post game water holes/restaurants and activities?

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Well sucks no Mantha tomorrow night, was looking forward to seeing him play.... But Zadina is a nice back up plan, hopefully he gets some solid ice time. Also hope the building is half empty tomorrow, which it likely will be. First time going to the LCA and Ford Field... Any reccomendations for pre and post game water holes/restaurants and activities?

It's a Leafs game, it'll be one of the fullest games of the season

Reactions: saska sault

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
From NHL.com. Sounds like AA was a little more specific with the location than Blashill.

"When one of the players leading our team is injured, obviously it [stinks]," forward Andreas Athanasiou said, "but injuries happen and being good buddies with him it [stinks] to see him when you come in the morning and look for him and he's doing stuff for his knee and stuff."

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Can’t wait till “a couple of weeks” turns into a couple of months
You're probably right, but honestly I'm ok with it.

Mantha is our show pony and this is a lost season anyway. I'd much rather they err on the side of caution regarding his knee.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
On a positive note, Mantha not reaching 40G/70pts in a contract year may be a blessing for the team/cap. If he's out 3-4 weeks, he could still hit 30-35G/60pts assuming he regains form quickly.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
On a positive note, Mantha not reaching 40G/70pts in a contract year may be a blessing for the team/cap. If he's out 3-4 weeks, he could still hit 30-35G/60pts assuming he regains form quickly.

Yeah but... I wanted to see if he could actually sustain his scoring.

Reactions: Winger98

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So are we getting Palmieri next season? Witkowksi, Nemeth.........

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Too bad last place in standings only guarantees you 4th pick.

It is a shame, but finishing last does give a 50% chance of picking in the top 3. We've had rotten luck in the lottery so far. Hopefully this year will be different. Although, finishing last and doing it by a wide margin makes picking 2nd or 3rd feel like another loss of sorts. On the bright side, the way things look now it does appear to be a good year to hold a top pick. The 2020 draft is shaping up to be a deep one at the top.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
It is a shame, but finishing last does give a 50% chance of picking in the top 3. We've had rotten luck in the lottery so far. Hopefully this year will be different. Although, finishing last and doing it by a wide margin makes picking 2nd or 3rd feel like another loss of sorts. On the bright side, the way things look now it does appear to be a good year to hold a top pick. The 2020 draft is shaping up to be a deep one at the top.
It is a point of view mentality thing.

Currently most fans think finishing last ENTITLES them to the top pick and are upset if the team 'drops' via lottery.

The correct POV, is lottery can ONLY bring you up in terms up draft position.

I don't like the idea of rewarding failure, and intentional failure at that. But that is another matter.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
It is a point of view mentality thing.

Currently most fans think finishing last ENTITLES them to the top pick and are upset if the team 'drops' via lottery.

The correct POV, is lottery can ONLY bring you up in terms up draft position.

I don't like the idea of rewarding failure, and intentional failure at that. But that is another matter.
Agreed, and I like your explanation. Draft picks aren't a reward. They're a tool to make bad teams better. The worst team in the league is given the 4oa pick as a tool to make them better. The lottery, independently of that, is just a means of randomizing the best picks to disincentivize tanking.

Reactions: cheesehead9099

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
So there's no logical reason to support tanking (especially for those of us who actually enjoy watching our favorite team play) yet there's still some brainless idiots who spout 'tank tank tank!'

lol

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
So there's no logical reason to support tanking (especially for those of us who actually enjoy watching our favorite team play) yet there's still some brainless idiots who spout 'tank tank tank!'

lol

But there is a logical reason. On average, higher draft picks will yield better players. On average, finishing lower in the standings will get you a higher draft pick, and a better player.

The idea behind the lottery is solid.... you don't want teams intentionally losing for that first overall, but I don't think it has really resulted in any meaningful change to the draft. You're still better off finishing as low as possible in the standings. Thus, the incentive to tank remains.

Reactions: odin1981

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad