Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2020-2-8_4-48-24.png

Reactions: Gniwder

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
All the bs about Mantha being too valuable to fight, etc etc, is just garbage water cooler topics for Mickey Redmond and casual fans.

If anything, that garbage coaching is what put him in such jeopardy against Muzzin.

Mantha is one of the biggest guys in the league, and plays better when he is using his size to press the play here and there. He doesnt need to be protected, or to protect himself from himself.

People break their hands fighting all the time. It's a minor injury, and not worth getting in a players head over.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
All the bs about Mantha being too valuable to fight, etc etc, is just garbage water cooler topics for Mickey Redmond and casual fans.

If anything, that garbage coaching is what put him in such jeopardy against Muzzin.

Mantha is one of the biggest guys in the league, and plays better when he is using his size to press the play here and there. He doesnt need to be protected, or to protect himself from himself.

People break their hands fighting all the time. It's a minor injury, and not worth getting in a players head over.

One of your best players fighting is stupid. Yeah, other players may break their hands fighting too, but there's no reason to take that risk when there is nothing you gain as a team from Mantha fighting, even if he doesn't break his hand. There's only downside (potential injury) to your best players fighting.

You don't have a fight one on one and risk a hand or head injury to "use your size to press the play here and there." You can achieve the latter without ever fighting another player.

Reactions: 14ari13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Is it possible to put in a no fighting clause in a contract?

Like $1M fine for each fighting penalty? Or maybe just make the base salary low and tie the bonus to not fighting, I think that would fall within league guidelines.

And you can guarantee if a team starts adding these conditions to contracts, they will never sign free agents.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
One of your best players fighting is stupid. Yeah, other players may break their hands fighting too, but there's no reason to take that risk when there is nothing you gain as a team from Mantha fighting, even if he doesn't break his hand. There's only downside (potential injury) to your best players fighting.

You don't have a fight one on one and risk a hand or head injury to "use your size to press the play here and there." You can achieve the latter without ever fighting another player.

I see your reasoning, but disagree with the premise, because I believe it is too simple to be applicable.

Sure, if you could just take the actual fights out, it would be stupid to be involved.

And i dont really believe in 'protecting teammates' to dissuade or intimidate the other team.

But I believe that mantha needs to play with a momentum and aggression that will at times lead him into fights, to be at his best.

I see the issue as one where the media and coaches have latched onto a talking point that serves themselves and not the player.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I see your reasoning, but disagree with the premise, because I believe it is too simple to be applicable.

Sure, if you could just take the actual fights out, it would be stupid to be involved.

And i dont really believe in 'protecting teammates' to dissuade or intimidate the other team.

But I believe that mantha needs to play with a momentum and aggression that will at times lead him into fights, to be at his best.

I see the issue as one where the media and coaches have latched onto a talking point that serves themselves and not the player.

Martha fights what, maybe twice a year? You really think him fighting twice a year or not fighting twice a year is the difference between him playing with momentum and aggression over the course of the entire season?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Martha fights what, maybe twice a year? You really think him fighting twice a year or not fighting twice a year is the difference between him playing with momentum and aggression over the course of the entire season?

To the degree that it has an aggregate value greater than focusing on avoiding 6-8 week injuries, yes.

Mantha is one of the biggest and strongest players in the league. Pushing the envelope and bullying the opposition should be a priority of his.

If zero fights result from that, great, but specifically having a disincentive looming over Mantha anytime he's battling in front of the net, or anytime he builds up a rivalry with a defensemen over the course of a game, is downright awful coaching imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->