Injury Report: Mantha

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Too bad for Mantha, but I would love for Yzerman to offer him a Viktor Arvidsson-type long-term contract to see if Mantha would bite on a lower AAV in exchange for long-term security (especially considering the injury issues). Arvidsson signed for 5.67% of the cap (and 7 years), so that work out to approximately $5M AAV for Mantha assuming a cap in the mid-to-high eighties (maybe a little higher since Detroit would be buying an additional UFA year from Mantha compared to Arvidsson).

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Call me crazy but I would consider trading him if the return is there. I don't believe he'll ever stop making stupid decisions that jeopordizes his health. I get wanting to stick up for your teammates but in this case it was for Madison Bowey. Bowey.

Reactions: Sentinel

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Call me crazy but I would consider trading him if the return is there. I don't believe he'll ever stop making stupid decisions that jeopordizes his health. I get wanting to stick up for your teammates but in this case it was for Madison Bowey. Bowey.

What’s actually stupid is thinking that the teammate he’s standing up for matters at all.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Go in heavy or don't go at all. Mantha half assed it and got dumped on his head. Muzzin is a bum ass plug, you don't have skill players policing them.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yep. All I can do is shake my head. You would have thought it was Larkin. Nah, just an AHL defensman.

You do realize that's an incredibly crappy way to think.

"Oh, he sucks, so I'll let him get run anyway". If Mantha is gonna stand up for Larkin, I want him to stand up for Bowey too. If you want to laud a guy for offering physical retribution to an opponent, it shouldn't be based on the quality of the player he's "defending"..

I think old school retribution is stupid as hell and the best way to retaliate is to get a goal on the ensuing PP, but if you're going to praise in it one aspect, you should probably praise it in all aspects. ****, I have more respect that Mantha would put himself out there to defend Bowey who is garbage and not just for Larkin or Zadina or something.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Mob mentality.

They're a bunch of whiny, keyboard warrior pansies, and the more of them that exist, the worse it is for everyone.

I could cite some real world analogues, but I won't, because I don't care enough. If Leafs fans want to spurt their self-imposed superiority over everyone then lose in the 1st round of the playoffs again, let them. Let them believe the hockey world revolves around them, while the Stanley Cup passes them by for the 70th year.

That's what makes me laugh. Toronto has a ridiculous amount of talent. It's way more depressing seeing what comes of them in a year than the Wings when you know that Detroit is running out essentially an AHL lineup that has about 6 legitimately promising NHL talents. Like Toronto should have easily been a favorite for the Cup the last couple years.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yep. All I can do is shake my head. You would have thought it was Larkin. Nah, just an AHL defensman.

I think you’ve misunderstood my point, which was polar opposite to yours.

You can’t tell players who is and isn’t worth sticking up for. You’ll create a rift in the locker room immediately when players realize that nobody thinks they matter, and on top of that, you want the players playing for each other first. The team, the team, the team.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Hockey players are not pyschologists and the locker room doesn't work like that. Specific to the Red Wings; they are fed up with AA above all else, but that's another story.

Every person that has gotten paid to play the game I've talked to more or less says the same thing - Madison Bowey is a big enough boy to take care of himself. And these guys are in their 50s and some 60s so they're in the old boys club.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Hockey players are not pyschologists and the locker room doesn't work like that. Specific to the Red Wings; they are fed up with AA above all else, but that's another story.

Every person that has gotten paid to play the game I've talked to more or less says the same thing - Madison Bowey is a big enough boy to take care of himself. And these guys are in their 50s and some 60s so they're in the old boys club.

Here’s what happened.

Mantha saw someone (doesn’t matter who) hit his teammate (doesn’t matter who) with what he thought was a potentially high hit or elbow (even though it wasn’t). That was all he needed to see to feel obligated to respond.

Also, it would be a different story if Mantha broke his hand throwing punches again, but this one was unique; this isn’t “more of the same” as you were implying.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Mantha needs to focus on his game, not his swagger. I'm sure the coaching staff has reminded him time and again that engaging in the rough stuff has its risks and that he should probably leave that to other guys more equipped to deal with it. But no, another scuffle, another injury, another stretch where his teammates are going to miss him.

He's not helping his team by doing this.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Sorry you are way off! Teammates protect teammates ALWAYS! One guy could be the worst player to ever lace up skates, but he is still part of your team. Also, that doesn't even take into consideration that they are with each other for most of the year, many are friends and they will go to battle for each other. Talent, both current and future as well as depth chart position play exactly 0% in any of that, and to suggest so, says you don't really understand a family and/or team dynamic.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have no illusions Detroit is a good hockey team. Muzzin doesn't play on a legit contender.

Muzzin has been a top 4 D-man on a Stanley Cup winner and has played top 4 in the NHL for pretty much his entire career. I hope we label him with slashes and finish every check on him on April 2nd. If Mantha is back and wants a piece, I think he is obliged to drop them if asked as well even with the playoffs around the corner. But Muzzin isn't a bad hockey player, heck he is the only Leafs D-man I consider above average at actually playing defense on their back-end.

The shoulder was in a sling according to reports, so I guess I am not surprised, hopefully he is over the concussion by the time that heals up.

Reactions: Mlotek

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I think you’ve misunderstood my point, which was polar opposite to yours.

You can’t tell players who is and isn’t worth sticking up for. You’ll create a rift in the locker room immediately when players realize that nobody thinks they matter, and on top of that, you want the players playing for each other first. The team, the team, the team.

Mike Babcock disagrees

babcock.jpg

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Muzzin is a better version of Danny Dekeyser. Tougher. Stronger. And smarter with the puck.
This guy finished 11th and 20th in Norris voting in his career. He's far from great. But he's really solid, smart and underrated.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It doesn't matter who he stand up . Hay not only Mantha but Larkin as well. Other than Seider we don't have anybody good in the pipe. This recovery going to take very long time . Both of them going to be 30+ .

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Who is fed up of AA, the brass or the players. While I think everyone knows both AA and the Wings dont see each other in their future plans, AA seems well liked among his teammates if Instagram is any sense of proof

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Muzzin is a better version of Danny Dekeyser. Tougher. Stronger. And smarter with the puck.
This guy finished 11th and 20th in Norris voting in his career. He's far from great. But he's really solid, smart and underrated.
True, but in each case that was a single vote.

11th spot was a single 4th place vote from about 170 ballots.
20th spot was a single 5th place vote from about 150 ballots.

2015-16 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com
2018-19 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Is it possible to put in a no fighting clause in a contract?

Like $1M fine for each fighting penalty? Or maybe just make the base salary low and tie the bonus to not fighting, I think that would fall within league guidelines.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Is it possible to put in a no fighting clause in a contract?

Like $1M fine for each fighting penalty? Or maybe just make the base salary low and tie the bonus to not fighting, I think that would fall within league guidelines.
I like the creativity of your thought process, however it is flawed. For example, player gets jumped in a scrum, do you expect him to not defend himself? If anything, more players would jump that player with a "no fight clause" knowing he's not likely/able to retalitate, adding to more games on IR etc (the opposite effect of said clause). What about if a goon or any opponent is rag dolling Larkin/Zadina/Fabbri/Hronek etc. you'd be limiting Mantha (or said player) to not stick up for his team mate. This is war. We are Sparta! Carpe Diem. Also I doubt any player/agent would actually sign that contract clause, nor would a GM/team/org. suggest it.

As much as we don't wanna see injuries, we can't bubble wrap our players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->