Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Whoops my bad I'm dumb.

God damn columns and their confusing nature. :(
No worries, I was drinking when I responded and didn't check the numbers. When in doubt, blame the booze, lol.

Ezekiel got the numbers wrong - he was looking at Mantha’s total points, not his assists. Mantha is actually on pace for 48 points total in a Caps uniform.

Mantha has 3 assists in 12 games. Vrana has 2 assists in 10. An extrapolated difference of 4 whole assists on the year. And that’s with Mantha playing ~85% of his time next to Backstrom.
I still maintain that Vrana would have more assists if he had linemates that can actually shoot. He can pass just as well as he can shoot. He'd easily be over a point per game.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
No worries, I was drinking when I responded and didn't check the numbers. When in doubt, blame the booze, lol.

I still maintain that Vrana would have more assists if he had linemates that can actually shoot. He can pass just as well as he can shoot. He'd easily be over a point per game.

He definitely looks like a 35 goal, 70 point guy if he gets decent support. I’m still holding out hope that he plays with Veleno and Zadina on the regular next year.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I understand the Vrana vs. Mantha comparison since they were both underachieving on their previous team, but let's not forget that the Wings also got a 1st rounder this year, a 2nd rounder next year, and Panik in addition to Vrana.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I understand the Vrana vs. Mantha comparison since they were both underachieving on their previous team, but let's not forget that the Wings also got a 1st rounder this year, a 2nd rounder next year, and Panik in addition to Vrana.
Panik & 2nd was a cap dump. Caps did the same thing with Orpiks, added him in the Grubauer trade for a 2nd in return instead of a 1st.

That 1st is looking like a bonus, I'll take Vrana over Mantha solely on effort level.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like trade a lot , but now we need to get bigger. We need to draft some power forward and if we draft around 10 , get Mctavish. We could get in the second round 6'6" Helenius.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I like trade a lot , but now we need to get bigger. We need to draft some power forward and if we draft around 10 , get Mctavish. We could get in the second round 6'6" Helenius.

Theres plenty of gritty 2 way guys in this draft. Pastujov looks like another Tyler Bertuzzi. Then L’hereaux, Landry, Doan, Dach, and McTavish. I hope we get at least 2 of the above.

Reactions: lilidk

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The caps did not win the division a d with their goaltending they should easily lose in round 1, which means we could get a top 20?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'll be happy if he keeps that hustle up after being paid.

Mantha hustled last season too. Then he signed on the dotted line.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I know it's a small sample size, but for what it's worth it looks like Vrana has outperformed Mantha imo.

Mantha scored 4 goals and 5 points in his first 4 games for the Caps, then since then he disappeared again with no goals and only 3 points in his last 9 games. Meanwhile Vrana has been very consistent across all 11 games.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That assist was the equivalent of an Abby butt goal.
Actually even less impressive because all he did was pass back to the point, and Dillon got a lucky deflection off a defender's stick. Mantha was more or less invisible while playing on the top line with Backstrom and Ovechkin. So much for the lack of talented linemates excuse.

Wilson was much more impressive, 1G and an assist as the puck carrier on the GWG.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Actually even less impressive because all he did was pass back to the point, and Dillon got a lucky deflection off a defender's stick. Mantha was more or less invisible while playing on the top line with Backstrom and Ovechkin. So much for the lack of talented linemates excuse.

Wilson was much more impressive, 1G and an assist as the puck carrier on the GWG.

Moneypuck disagrees that Mantha was invisible using their expected goal model. The Ovi-Back-Mantha line generally controlled the majority of shot share while they were on the ice, especially Mantha, finishing with the best xgf% of any Capitals skater this game, a lot of it due to him not allowing many shots/shot attempts while he was on the ice, even if Wilson was more creative offensively with his scoring chances compared to Mantha.

The line still had their share of offensive chances as well, edging the Bruins in shot attempts 17-7 at 5v5 whenever they were on the ice. I wouldn't say Backstrom or Ovi were 'sheltering' Mantha either, he seemed to be controlling the puck well along the boards, read the play well, but never was the dynamic 4-goal power forward version of him that is seen from time to time.

upload_2021-5-16_0-22-52.png

Matched up pretty well with the eyetest too, Mantha had some very rough nights defensively with Detroit this season where criticism was generally pretty deserved, but he notably kept the Bruins forward lines' shifts short for the most part whenever they were in the Capitals zone from my initial viewing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Moneypuck disagrees that Mantha was invisible using their expected goal model. The Ovi-Back-Mantha line generally controlled the majority of shot share while they were on the ice, especially Mantha, finishing with the best xgf% of any Capitals skater this game, a lot of it due to him not allowing many shots/shot attempts while he was on the ice, even if Wilson was more creative offensively with his scoring chances compared to Mantha.

The line still had their share of offensive chances as well, edging the Bruins in shot attempts 17-7 at 5v5 whenever they were on the ice. I wouldn't say Backstrom or Ovi were 'sheltering' Mantha either, he seemed to be controlling the puck well along the boards, read the play well, but never was the dynamic 4-goal power forward version of him that is seen from time to time.

View attachment 434474

Matched up pretty well with the eyetest too, Mantha had some very rough nights defensively with Detroit this season where criticism was generally pretty deserved, but he notably kept the Bruins forward lines' shifts short for the most part whenever they were in the Capitals zone from my initial viewing.
Strictly stat watching, he did almost nothing offensively.

He has played well defensively with the Caps, and that is the role of the third forward on that line. It's usually Wilson's spot. But he really hasn't turned it on at all. We all know that he's got a lot more than he showed tonight.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Mantha has more or less been on pace to match his best seasons in Detroit through 17 games with Washington including the playoffs - right now, his work with Washington would average out to about 19 goals and 29 assists over an 82 game season (fewer goals but more assists than we're used to seeing from him). So, it looks like he'll at least meet Washington's minimum expectations.

He came out of the gate strong after the trade and again starting the payoffs. The only question left is whether he was worth Vrana and a first...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad