Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If Boston wins the series, our Washington pick will be between 22nd and 26th. The pick improves by one based on how many teams below them in the regular season standings make the conference finals. So any divisional winners plus Florida and Vegas, making the conference finals means one less spot for Washingtons pick to improve.
It's actually between 22nd and 25th have to include Arizona's forfeited pick so basically right now the Cap pick is 25th not 26th.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
It's actually between 22nd and 25th have to include Arizona's forfeited pick so basically right now the Cap pick is 25th not 26th.
Technically it's between the 21st and 25th selection because of Arizona, however it will still be announced as either the 22nd, 23rd, 24th or 25th pick. So yes you're right, but it's also easier to talk about what the pick will actually be labeled as than what it will be.

Fun fact, Arizonas keeps their lottery odds, but if they win either lottery the NHL will redraw until another team wins.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Technically it's between the 21st and 25th selection because of Arizona, however it will still be announced as either the 22nd, 23rd, 24th or 25th pick. So yes you're right, but it's also easier to talk about what the pick will actually be labeled as than what it will be.

Fun fact, Arizonas keeps their lottery odds, but if they win either lottery the NHL will redraw until another team wins.
Correct, Shall be interesting these next few weeks.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I might fall out of my chair laughing if Arizona wins it, then another team wins it. But in the redraw we get Arizona’s lottery pick.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
All I know is the Caps are down 3-1 and a few teams who finished after them in the standings are approaching upsets. So, this trade is looking better and better.
Vrana for Mantha straight up would have been a win. This trade is looking worse and worse for the Caps.

I think the league is gonna figure out that the way to contain Mantha is to just not piss him off, lol. Play him tight but not get physical then he's just about useless. So much wasted talent.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Vrana for Mantha straight up would have been a win. This trade is looking worse and worse for the Caps.

I think the league is gonna figure out that the way to contain Mantha is to just not piss him off, lol. Play him tight but not get physical then he's just about useless. So much wasted talent.
I think he's performing for them about the same as he performed here. He's just really streaky. What's confusing is honestly, they have a better system for him in Washington; I don't think we used him the right way in Detroit and we probably didn't even draft him for the right reasons.

The problem now could be that he's in a playoff series and Boston has really honed in on how to play against him. Boston I picked to win that series though, they have an excellent team, or were excellent since the trade deadline, anyway.

I think Mantha was one of those guys they drafted for size when what they wanted was physicality, and none of those big guys turned out to be very physical players. We ended up with a bunch of big pylons and got unexpected physicality from smaller guys like Bertuzzi. Mantha is physical in the sense that his big ass is hard to stop on a breakaway and that's about it.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Been saying this for years. He doesn't have the hunger to go get it. He needs external motivation.
Vrana is not perfect but I even said on the day of the trade I would do Vrana for Mantha 1 for 1. Absolute utter fleecing by Yzerman and company.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think Mantha was one of those guys they drafted for size when what they wanted was physicality, and none of those big guys turned out to be very physical players. We ended up with a bunch of big pylons and got unexpected physicality from smaller guys like Bertuzzi. Mantha is physical in the sense that his big ass is hard to stop on a breakaway and that's about it.

That's been the book on him since he was 17 years old. At least he's produced at the NHL level, otherwise Yzerman wouldn't have gotten the return that he did. I can't wait to see who we draft with Washington's pick.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Been saying this for years. He doesn't have the hunger to go get it. He needs external motivation.
Vrana is not perfect but I even said on the day of the trade I would do Vrana for Mantha 1 for 1. Absolute utter fleecing by Yzerman and company.
Vrana has impressed me by the way he handled this trade. It's really easy to get de-motivated and dwell in self pity when you get traded to a shit team. That was my primary concern, but instead he went out there to prove MacLellan wrong. Lots of maturity for a kid his age.

As long as he goes out there and scores goals, I could care less about some defensive flaws. I just hope Blash doesn't kill his game.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Mike Green was a Norris finalist before he got injured and lost his slapper. All the same I think I'd rather have the next John Carlson who was also a late 1st for the Caps.

Hell yeah. It's been what, a decade since we've had a 73 point guy on our team? I get that he was playing on the PP with Backstrom and Ov, but still

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
It's gonna be pretty LOL when Washington flames out in the first round and Mantha has no goals.

That trade is gonna be real bad for them all around.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Mike Green was a Norris finalist before he got injured and lost his slapper. All the same I think I'd rather have the next John Carlson who was also a late 1st for the Caps.

He feasted off one of the most ridiculous offensive lines in the NHL in the last 20 years. Probably the best other than McDrai. The same year, Jeff Schultz was +51.

He had a few good years offensively, but the overall of his career was pretty meh. I guess it's worth it for a late round pick, but he still wasn't great.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hell yeah. It's been what, a decade since we've had a 73 point guy on our team? I get that he was playing on the PP with Backstrom and Ov, but still
and :eek::eek::eek::eek: (Semin).

Mike had only one less PPG than Ovy, Ovy wasn't quite the master of the one timer back then. It was actually Green that had the monster slapper.

Even without the assists, I'll take those 18 PPG. That's more goals than anyone scored this season even if you pro-rate it to 56 games.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He feasted off one of the most ridiculous offensive lines in the NHL in the last 20 years. Probably the best other than McDrai. The same year, Jeff Schultz was +51.

He had a few good years offensively, but the overall of his career was pretty meh. I guess it's worth it for a late round pick, but he still wasn't great.
Jeff Schultz should have been a career AHLer, who do you think was carrying the defense (and offense) on that pair?

Poor Mikey started his career with 2 AHL level partners in Shaone Morrisonn and Schultz and still managed to be a Norris finalist.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00