Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Go watch a video of Jeff Schultz skating. It's laughably funny.

Mike Green got a lot of flack because his partners sucked. Even with the Wings he really didn't have a decent partner.

So... You're getting my point then about how Mike Green benefited from playing on a team that Jeff Schultz was able to be +51 on, then.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So... You're getting my point then about how Mike Green benefited from playing on a team that Jeff Schultz was able to be +51 on, then.
Dude, Schultz was his partner the entire season. You're saying Green benefited from being paired with an AHL level partner who couldn't skate to save his life?!?!? It was Green's responsibility to fetch the puck every play, that's how he kept getting injured. (He also sucked at avoiding hits.)

Green was never a great defender, but he wasn't Quinn Hughes level either.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Dude, Schultz was his partner the entire season. You're saying Green benefited from being paired with an AHL level partner who couldn't skate to save his life?!?!? It was Green's responsibility to fetch the puck every play, that's how he kept getting injured. (He also sucked at avoiding hits.)

Green was never a great defender, but he wasn't Quinn Hughes level either.

I'm saying Green sucked defensively and his offensive numbers benefitted immensely from his forwards.

Green was essentially a 4th forward during the notable parts of his career.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I'm too lazy to look and see where the Caps pick 'could' land, any of you fine folks able to break it down for me?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I genuinely do like Anthony Mantha and wish him luck in Washington or anywhere else he may go.

That said, him scoring four goals his first four games and then not scoring at all the next fifteen games is an almost comically predictable outcome.
Not surprised. Mantha lovers say any criticism is hating.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm saying Green sucked defensively and his offensive numbers benefitted immensely from his forwards.

Green was essentially a 4th forward during the notable parts of his career.
... and that's where I disagree. Anyone who can carry AHL level defensemen as partner does not suck defensively. If he actually had NHL level partners, his numbers would have been even more ridiculous.

You're talking about Mike Green without even knowing who his partners were so it's not like you watched the Caps back then. You're judging the Wings version of Mike Green. Dude didn't know how to avoid a check, that was his biggest flaw. All those injuries just piled up and he was washed up before he even became a Wing.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
... and that's where I disagree. Anyone who can carry AHL level defensemen as partner does not suck defensively. If he actually had NHL level partners, his numbers would have been even more ridiculous.

You're talking about Mike Green without even knowing who his partners were so it's not like you watched the Caps back then. You're judging the Wings version of Mike Green. Dude didn't know how to avoid a check, that was his biggest flaw. All those injuries just piled up and he was washed up before he even became a Wing.

It's weird to me that you think I brought up Jeff Schultz not knowing he was Green's partner, or like I was trying to promote him as a decent player or something.

... It was pretty clearly evidence of the fact that that Washington team was so good offensively that they could make anybody look good.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's weird to me that you think I brought up Jeff Schultz not knowing he was Green's partner, or like I was trying to promote him as a decent player or something.

... It was pretty clearly evidence of the fact that that Washington team was so good offensively that they could make anybody look good.
So you watched some highlights and looked at stats that season. I watched at least half the games that season if not 3/4. An AHL level partner can make anybody look bad in the sense that Bowey made all of his partners look terrible, same with BigE. The highlights don't show that. Schultz was slower than DDK skating on one leg. Green was responsible for getting the puck and carrying it all the way, Schultz couldn't even pass.

Go look at some highlights again, Green was fast in his younger days. Made up a lot of his defensive IQ deficiencies.

Not to mention the reason why the offense did so well was because of Green. They never matched that peak after Green got injured. Keep in mind Ovy and Backstrom still play for the team.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He feasted off one of the most ridiculous offensive lines in the NHL in the last 20 years. Probably the best other than McDrai. The same year, Jeff Schultz was +51.

He had a few good years offensively, but the overall of his career was pretty meh. I guess it's worth it for a late round pick, but he still wasn't great.

and they feasted off having Mike Green as well, it's a two way street

when Green got injured and was never the same afterwards guys like Ovechkin and Backstrom saw their production take a hit it never recovered from as well

Ovechkin basically went from being a 110-120 point guy to a 65-85 point guy overnight....he even stopped being competitive for the Rocket for a couple years as well!

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I genuinely do like Anthony Mantha and wish him luck in Washington or anywhere else he may go.

That said, him scoring four goals his first four games and then not scoring at all the next fifteen games is an almost comically predictable outcome.

so is him rebounding like Tatar once he gets used to playing under a different system and Vrana doing worse once he gets used to Blashill

this thread is gonna look so silly next year when everyones suddenly whining about the trade instead of gloating about it

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
So you watched some highlights and looked at stats that season. I watched at least half the games that season if not 3/4. An AHL level partner can make anybody look bad in the sense that Bowey made all of his partners look terrible, same with BigE. The highlights don't show that. Schultz was slower than DDK skating on one leg. Green was responsible for getting the puck and carrying it all the way, Schultz couldn't even pass.

Go look at some highlights again, Green was fast in his younger days. Made up a lot of his defensive IQ deficiencies.

Not to mention the reason why the offense did so well was because of Green. They never matched that peak after Green got injured. Keep in mind Ovy and Backstrom still play for the team.

And yet Schultz was still statistically a beast.

... Probably because he feasted on Washington's offense. Kinda like somebody else.

But hey, since we wanna throw out random claims of how much we watch, I watched every game three times over and put every green shift in super slow mo. If you're wondering, "Who gives a shit", I asked the same thing.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Wonder if Anthony enjoyed his playoff experience ?

Wouldn't be surprised if during the entire series he had a lazy Sunday afternoon vibe going on. You know, those days you are so lazy and relaxed you feel like the day is an out-of-body experience. I'm sure that was the extent of his enjoyment/excitement during the series.

Thanks Caps for the two picks. Much appreciated!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And yet Schultz was still statistically a beast.

... Probably because he feasted on Washington's offense. Kinda like somebody else.

But hey, since we wanna throw out random claims of how much we watch, I watched every game three times over and put every green shift in super slow mo. If you're wondering, "Who gives a shit", I asked the same thing.
Whatever dude, you know you watched maybe a handful of Caps games that season. The fact that you keep mentioning Schultz pretty much sums it up. Stat watcher.

And regardless of who his teammates were, you don't score 18 PP goals as a defenseman without shooting skills. The Wings didn't even have a forward that came anywhere close.

Let me point this out though since we both watch the Wings, think about how much worse the Wings were when Green got injured. He was never going to win any awards for his defense, but he wasn't that bad either. He was much better with the Caps, and obviously an offensive star before injuries.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Wouldn't be surprised if during the entire series he had a lazy Sunday afternoon vibe going on. You know, those days you are so lazy and relaxed you feel like the day is an out-of-body experience. I'm sure that was the extent of his enjoyment/excitement during the series.

Thanks Caps for the two picks. Much appreciated!
:thumbu:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's gonna be pretty LOL when Washington flames out in the first round and Mantha has no goals.

That trade is gonna be real bad for them all around.
Well. Vrana had no goals in his last 2 playoff runs.
Bäckström no goals in his last 2 playoffs.
Kuznetsov no goals in this series.
Carlson no goals the last 3 playoffs.

There's blame to go around. I get that we want to single out Mantha but I just don't think Washington has what it takes in the playoffs anymore. Playoffs are difficult to produce in when you're in a series against a better team, and it looks like Washington haven't really been the better team in a playoff series for a while.
I still think Mantha has it in him to take his game to the next level, but I wonder if motivational issues has crept into the way he's handled himself during the offseason and general off-ice stuff.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Whatever dude, you know you watched maybe a handful of Caps games that season. The fact that you keep mentioning Schultz pretty much sums it up. Stat watcher.

And regardless of who his teammates were, you don't score 18 PP goals as a defenseman without shooting skills. The Wings didn't even have a forward that came anywhere close.

Let me point this out though since we both watch the Wings, think about how much worse the Wings were when Green got injured. He was never going to win any awards for his defense, but he wasn't that bad either. He was much better with the Caps, and obviously an offensive star before injuries.

The fact that you're still not getting why Schultz was brought up pretty much sums it up, actually.

The part where you keep pointing out where he was essentially an AHL level player, which just kinda supports my point, is hilarious.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
so is him rebounding like Tatar once he gets used to playing under a different system and Vrana doing worse once he gets used to Blashill

this thread is gonna look so silly next year when everyones suddenly whining about the trade instead of gloating about it
Again, Mantha could score 50 for the Caps next year and it wouldn't make the trade a bad move.

* He was never going to do that here
* Yzerman is hoarding picks for a slow rebuild

This was all about timeline and aligning assets accordingly. Anything Vrana (let alone Panik) provides is gravy. I'll take a first rounder all by itself over a talented guy who will never see that talent come to fruition in Detroit.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Mantha had two assists and a neutral +/- in this series. It's clear that the Capitals have not benefitted from the trade yet, but I can see why they went for Mantha's upside. Vrana and Panik would probably not have won the series for them either (the former had become a healthy scratch anyway).

Gruß,
BSHH

SCD

Apr 8, 2018

Vrana will not be around long enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2