Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Not really sure, They finished 26th overall at the end of the season, maybe in the 22nd to 24th overall range. depending if any teams below them advance to the 2nd round.

*3rd round

there's no difference between losing in the 1st or 2nd round for draft picks, those teams are all just lumped together and sorted by standings

assuming Washington doesn't make it to the 3rd round the pick will be anywhere between 25th(Arizona forfeits their pick which moves it up one) and 21st

each of these happening would move the pick up by one:

Boston or the Islanders making it to the third round in the East
Tampa or Nashville making it to the third round in the Central
Minnesota or St. Louis making it to the third round in the West
Edmonton,Winnipeg, or Montreal making it to the third round in the North

so if Washington loses in the first two rounds and none of those things happen it will be 25th, if all 4 of them happen it will be 21st etc

so basically root against Washington,Pittsburgh,Toronto,Carolina,Florida,Colorado, and Vegas if you want the pick to be as high as possible

Last edited:

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
If Boston wins on Sunday what's our pick?????????!!!

25th to 31st overall

2021 First Round Pick Considerations

During the 2020 NHL draft, Yzerman opted to swing for the fences on as many picks as he could. From the high-ceiling Theodor Niederbach to the titanic Elmer Soderblom, the Red Wings took as many gambles as they could to land a high-skilled player. Yzerman shows no signs of slowing down this draft; it’s likely he’ll do the same with the 11 picks he has at his disposal. With the Capitals’ first round pick, the Red Wings have more flexibility at their disposal. Depending on how the playoffs go for the Capitals, the Red Wings could pick anywhere from 25th to 31st overall. This position will affect how Yzerman proceeds; but these names will likely wind up on his radar. All three names are being projected to go anywhere from 15th overall to outside of the First Round entirely. So while there’s no guarantee where any of these three will go, they’ll be names to watch regardless.

Late First Round Options in the Detroit Red Wings 2021 NHL Draft

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
25th to 31st

During the 2020 NHL draft, Yzerman opted to swing for the fences on as many picks as he could. From the high-ceiling Theodor Niederbach to the titanic Elmer Soderblom, the Red Wings took as many gambles as they could to land a high-skilled player. Yzerman shows no signs of slowing down this draft; it’s likely he’ll do the same with the 11 picks he has at his disposal. With the Capitals’ first round pick, the Red Wings have more flexibility at their disposal. Depending on how the playoffs go for the Capitals, the Red Wings could pick anywhere from 25th to 31st overall. This position will affect how Yzerman proceeds; but these names will likely wind up on his radar. All three names are being projected to go anywhere from 15th overall to outside of the First Round entirely. So while there’s no guarantee where any of these three will go, they’ll be names to watch regardless.

I'm interested to know how they arrived at those numbers. 25-31 seems low if they are the first team eliminated.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
If Boston wins on Sunday what's our pick?????????!!!
If Boston wins the series, our Washington pick will be between 22nd and 26th. The pick improves by one based on how many teams below them in the regular season standings make the conference finals. So any divisional winners plus Florida and Vegas, making the conference finals means one less spot for Washingtons pick to improve.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If Boston wins the series, our Washington pick will be between 22nd and 26th. The pick improves by one based on how many teams below them in the regular season standings make the conference finals. So any divisional winners plus Florida and Vegas, making the conference finals means one less spot for Washingtons pick to improve.

Should we be crossing our fingers for Montreal vs. Vegas and Tampa vs. NYI in the conference finals?

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Should we be crossing our fingers for Montreal vs. Vegas and Tampa vs. NYI in the conference finals?
Yeah that would bump us to pick 23, but because Vegas finished above Washington, them advancing doesn't help. So really we're looking at pick 24 or 25 realistically, which is still solid and when you consider how good Vrana has been for us this trade is shaping up to be a huge win for us.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah that would bump us to pick 23, but because Vegas finished above Washington, them advancing doesn't help. So really we're looking at pick 24 or 25 realistically, which is still solid and when you consider how good Vrana has been for us this trade is shaping up to be a huge win for us.

At what point do other GMs just tell Steve Yzerman they can't trade with him because they'll get skewered in the press?

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
At what point do other GMs just tell Steve Yzerman they can't trade with him because they'll get skewered in the press?
That is a fantastic question. He's made exactly one not so great trade since arriving in Detroit and even that is so minor it's not really worth talking about (the Perlini trade). His trading resume is all but unimpeachable, and if/when he makes another big move I expect a similar result.

To be fair to Washington, they are in a bit of a bind with their timeline, so Mantha makes a lot of sense in addition to all of the cap help we gave them. I still think we emerge ahead on paper, but if they can get another run at the Cup in the next few years of the Mantha deal it might prove to be worth it.

Reactions: Ricelund

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That is a fantastic question. He's made exactly one not so great trade since arriving in Detroit and even that is so minor it's not really worth talking about (the Perlini trade). His trading resume is all but unimpeachable, and if/when he makes another big move I expect a similar result.

To be fair to Washington, they are in a bit of a bind with their timeline, so Mantha makes a lot of sense in addition to all of the cap help we gave them. I still think we emerge ahead on paper, but if they can get another run at the Cup in the next few years of the Mantha deal it might prove to be worth it.

They're down 3-1 against the Bruins this year and their roster for next year looks like it's virtually the same. I don't think that Caps team goes on another real run until they make some real changes.

My crazy-not-so-crazy trade speculation is that the Caps are the winner of the Eichel sweepstakes if they can ship Buffalo Kutznetsov +.

Reactions: Ricelund and Tetsuo

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
They're down 3-1 against the Bruins this year and their roster for next year looks like it's virtually the same. I don't think that Caps team goes on another real run until they make some real changes.

My crazy-not-so-crazy trade speculation is that the Caps are the winner of the Eichel sweepstakes if they can ship Buffalo Kutznetsov +.
They might need to do that. They gotta figure out Ovies contract too, and Oshie and Backstrom aren't getting any younger either...

But after this playoffs I really do wish them well, I loathe so many more teams than the Caps (like the Bruins).

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Would have to be a huge +++ they gave us two good picks already.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Would have to be a huge +++ they gave us two good picks already.

Kuznetsov is a 60-70 point center. Him + a prospect + a defenseman and/or goalie probably does it. The money has to be right for Washington though. And with all the publicity around Eichel I don't think that Eichel gets EA Sports 21 trade value in return.

Oshie - Eichel - Mantha might be a pretty damn scary line.

Reactions: Ricelund

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
*3rd round

there's no difference between losing in the 1st or 2nd round for draft picks, those teams are all just lumped together and sorted by standings

assuming Washington doesn't make it to the 3rd round the pick will be anywhere between 25th(Arizona forfeits their pick which moves it up one) and 21st

each of these happening would move the pick up by one:

Boston or the Islanders making it to the third round in the East
Tampa or Nashville making it to the third round in the Central
Minnesota or St. Louis making it to the third round in the West
Edmonton,Winnipeg, or Montreal making it to the third round in the North

so if Washington loses in the first two rounds and none of those things happen it will be 25th, if all 4 of them happen it will be 21st etc

so basically root against Washington,Pittsburgh,Toronto,Carolina,Florida,Colorado, and Vegas if you want the pick to be as high as possible

Excellent post, this looks like the only accurate breakdown in this thread.

giphy.gif

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
There are 9 teams that finished below Washington that made the playoffs.

3 of those teams are ahead in their series; BOS. WPG. TBL.

2 teams are tied; NYI. MTL

4 teams losing; STL. EDM. MIN. NAS.

To look further into it...

It looks like the team coming from the west will be above WAS in the standings and will not help our draft position.

In the east, assuming BOS wins their series, if NYI can beat PIT then the team going to final 4 will help our draft spot.

In the north if MTL beats TOR the final 4 team will help our draft position.

In the central, cheer for TBL.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
There are 9 teams that finished below Washington that made the playoffs.

3 of those teams are ahead in their series; BOS. WPG. TBL.

2 teams are tied; NYI. MTL

4 teams losing; STL. EDM. MIN. NAS.

To look further into it...

It looks like the team coming from the west will be above WAS in the standings and will not help our draft position.

In the east, assuming BOS wins their series, if NYI can beat PIT then the team going to final 4 will help our draft spot.

In the north if MTL beats TOR the final 4 team will help our draft position.

In the central, cheer for TBL.
Yeah obviously a Boston win locking in 26th at worst is the biggest win, but I suspect we get a little help from Tampa and one of the non-Leaf Canadian teams.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
25th to 31st overall

Pretty hard for the Caps to get 31st if they're eliminated in the 1st round. 31st means they won the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad