Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The fact that you're still not getting why Schultz was brought up pretty much sums it up, actually.

The part where you keep pointing out where he was essentially an AHL level player, which just kinda supports my point, is hilarious.
How does that support your point when he couldn't do crap without Green as a partner, even when he was with the Caps? Green carried his ass.

If Ovy and Backstrom were the reason why Green had so many points, how come they've never replicated the success with Niskanen or Carlson?

Green was the best overall defensemen for the Wings during his tenure here (except the last season) despite being less than a quarter of the player he was in his prime. You have this narrative that he sucks, and your only proof is Ovy, Backstrom and Schultz? You haven't provided any proof of anything, you're just trolling.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sure he will...he isn’t going anywhere
As long as he maintains a positive attitude, I don't see him being traded.

I originally thought he'd be a trade chip as well, but I think Stevie needs to provide the fans with something to watch and Vrana fits the bill. I think he adds more value to this club than any other, where he'd probably be relegated to second line again. Unless another GM offers up a ridiculous offer, I see him sticking around.

The other thing is that he doesn't have the best playoff track record, so I don't see another team wanting him as a TDL acquisition.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Vrana has impressed me by the way he handled this trade. It's really easy to get de-motivated and dwell in self pity when you get traded to a shit team. That was my primary concern, but instead he went out there to prove MacLellan wrong. Lots of maturity for a kid his age.

As long as he goes out there and scores goals, I could care less about some defensive flaws. I just hope Blash doesn't kill his game.

Vrana's issue in Washington was he felt like he was being slighted on ice time, and he showed up the coach after scoring an OT winner after being benched to really nail that point home.
Ice time was never going to be a problem for him in Detroit with our lack of talent, so I think he was always going to be happy to come here and get ample opportunity on a primary scoring line.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Vrana's issue in Washington was he felt like he was being slighted on ice time, and he showed up the coach after scoring an OT winner after being benched to really nail that point home.
Ice time was never going to be a problem for him in Detroit with our lack of talent, so I think he was always going to be happy to come here and get ample opportunity on a primary scoring line.

No. Our coach never benches offensive-minded forwards.

Reactions: Mlotek

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Probably similar to Mantha, 3 or 4 years between 5 and 6 mil is my guess.

If Stevie gets him at Mantha pricing that is a huge deal. One of the big selling points the Caps pointed to is that they wanted the cost certainty of the Mantha deal. If you can get Vrana on a similar or cheaper deal, I think that is a massive win from Stevie.

Reactions: Reddwit

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
so is him rebounding like Tatar once he gets used to playing under a different system and Vrana doing worse once he gets used to Blashill

this thread is gonna look so silly next year when everyones suddenly whining about the trade instead of gloating about it

I'm not super interested in re-hashing this discussion, but I simply disagree with this.

Tatar "rebounded" to the same ~60pt complementary top 6 winger we saw in Detroit. A fine player, but not a guy you really build your team around. By 2018 it was clear that we needed to rebuild and Tatar didn't match our timeline. Holland did very well to get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I'd make that trade again 10 times out of 10.

On Mantha, it's incredible how quickly the goalposts shift. On deadline day people here assured us that he was the best piece in the trade and that his production would explode with better teammates. After beating up on jobber teams like Buffalo and Philly his first couple games, his production returned to what we've seen for a few years now in Detroit. Last year he couldn't break out because of the injury. This year he couldn't break out because Detroit didn't have the talent around him. Then he went to Washington and he couldn't break out because he wasn't used to the Laviolette "system" (which, by the way, everyone assured us he was a perfect fit for). But next year, at 27 years old, he'll finally have that perfect cocktail of motivation, quality teammates, a good coach and system, and ice time to reach his ceiling, and we'll all whine about the trade. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

More realistically, I think Mantha and Vrana will both continue their trends as good but streaky top 6 wingers. Personally, I'm glad we traded the guy who's a year and a half older and added a 1st round pick, and I don't really expect Vrana's salary to be all that much higher than Mantha's.

Again, I like Anthony and wish him well. But I'm not at all surprised that through his first 20 games, the Washington Capitals Mantha has looked more or less identical to the Detroit Red Wings Mantha, and I won't miss the carousel of excuses for why this player can't produce what's expected of him over a full season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not super interested in re-hashing this discussion, but I simply disagree with this.

Tatar "rebounded" to the same ~60pt complementary top 6 winger we saw in Detroit. A fine player, but not a guy you really build your team around. By 2018 it was clear that we needed to rebuild and Tatar didn't match our timeline. Holland did very well to get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I'd make that trade again 10 times out of 10.

On Mantha, it's incredible how quickly the goalposts shift. On deadline day people here assured us that he was the best piece in the trade and that his production would explode with better teammates. After beating up on jobber teams like Buffalo and Philly his first couple games, his production returned to what we've seen for a few years now in Detroit. Last year he couldn't break out because of the injury. This year he couldn't break out because Detroit didn't have the talent around him. Then he went to Washington and he couldn't break out because he wasn't used to the Laviolette "system" (which, by the way, everyone assured us he was a perfect fit for). But next year, at 27 years old, he'll finally have that perfect cocktail of motivation, quality teammates, a good coach and system, and ice time to reach his ceiling, and we'll all whine about the trade. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

More realistically, I think Mantha and Vrana will both continue their trends as good but streaky top 6 wingers. Personally, I'm glad we traded the guy who's a year and a half older and added a 1st round pick, and I don't really expect Vrana's salary to be all that much higher than Mantha's.

Again, I like Anthony and wish him well. But I'm not at all surprised that through his first 20 games, the Washington Capitals Mantha has looked more or less identical to the Detroit Red Wings Mantha, and I won't miss the carousel of excuses for why this player can't produce what's expected of him over a full season.

Tatar fit our timeline just fine.
The point isn't about timelines, or whether or not Nyquist/Tatar or any of these guys failed to live up to particularly insane expectations they could succeed Datsyuk/Zetterberg.
The point is that Blashill ground them into dust.
In Tatar's case, he rebounded. 3 straight years over 2 points/60. Returned to being he Corsi monster he was early in his career.
AA's points/60 rebounded to about 2 points/60.

Expecting that Mantha will do the same, too.
Also expecting Vrana's goals/60 to fall somewhat from 3.0+ lol.
If Vrana continues to be a 17-18 minute a night guy, I would expect the raw stats to stay pretty high.
But my guess is that Vrana will struggle mightily to match the 2.3 to 2.7 points/60 he scored in Washington once Blashill neuters any offensive balls he has.

Mantha's gonna have to figure out a new role for himself. The role he had in Detroit doesn't exist for him in Washington.
I watched 3 of the playoff games and liked Mantha's work everywhere but the powerplay.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad