Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Mantha took that crosscheck to the face like a champ, that was a bad move by Buch. Lost respect for the man there.

I’m ok with the crosscheck. Mantha was giving him some stick work, chasing him around beforehand then turns and comes towards him. What’s Buch supposed to do, just let him skate over and smack him. Get your stick up and protect yourself, especially guys who aren’t known for fighting.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’m ok with the crosscheck. Mantha was giving him some stick work, chasing him around beforehand then turns and comes towards him. What’s Buch supposed to do, just let him skate over and smack him. Get your stick up and protect yourself, especially guys who aren’t known for fighting.

Stick work is different than cross checking someone’s face. There’s a reason that Buchnevich is probably looking at a suspension in addition to his major and game misconduct and Mantha got a 2 minute minor. And if Buchnevich is going to run around all night trying to throw the body around, mix it up, talk a bunch of shit, and act like he’s tough, maybe he should be ready to drop the gloves and settle things.

Mantha wasn’t hunting Buchnevich looking to hurt him, but the reaction from Buchnevich proved that he was looking for a piece of flesh last night. All game long he was running around looking for it.

I understand what got Buchnevich’s dander up after the previous game, but the way he tried to handle it was pretty disappointing to watch.

Slim

Nov 2, 2014
Up north
Stick work is different than cross checking someone’s face. There’s a reason that Buchnevich is probably looking at a suspension in addition to his major and game misconduct and Mantha got a 2 minute minor. And if Buchnevich is going to run around all night trying to throw the body around, mix it up, talk a bunch of shit, and act like he’s tough, maybe he should be ready to drop the gloves and settle things.

Mantha wasn’t hunting Buchnevich looking to hurt him, but the reaction from Buchnevich proved that he was looking for a piece of flesh last night. All game long he was running around looking for it.

I understand what got Buchnevich’s dander up after the previous game, but the way he tried to handle it was pretty disappointing to watch.

Mantha took what seemed (have not watched any replay of it though) to be an elbow to the face in a scrum at the boards from Buch about 10-15 sec before he started going after him with the leg taps. You could see Mantha getting pissed when it happened. Agree with your take on Buch during the game, was probably too much emotions to handle for him. But suspension is most likely coming for Buch.

I have to say I was rather impressed with how Mantha handled the cross check to his face, must have been quite a stinger. Initially I thought he might have broken his nose, you could see his eyes tearing up.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'll never condone using your stick to hit someone in the face no matter how many baby slashes (that was Mantha asking for a fight btw) he is given.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I still think all the Blackhawk fans who suddenly appeared in 2009 are the most intolerable.
Pretty much any bandwagon hockey fan that starts watching just because the team won the Cup. I lived in Colorado when the Avs moved there, and they won the Cup their first season. McNichols was full of bandwagon fans that had no clue about hockey at all. I had one guy sitting behind me that would yell "where's the penalty" after every whistle. Middle of the second period I told him to STFU because it's f'ing ICING.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I've been saying for years, and tell me if I'm wrong about this, but any kind of head contact or boarding, if it's intentional, you should have a mandatory minimum suspension that the league can make longer. However, the suspension should not start until after the victim returns to the lineup. In other words, if your headshot puts a guy on the injury list, your suspension doesn't start until after he returns. If he never returns, you never return. If he returns but has to retire early because of the injury, you leave hockey with him.

The players' union limit on fines, I understand - doesn't need to be adjusted.

Reactions: skate skate skate

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
I thought the cross check was dirty, go for the ribs, the arms, chest, fine. Rough hockey happens, emotions run high and Mantha was egging him on and asking for it. Don't go for a guy's mouth though.

Reactions: skate skate skate

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Pretty much any bandwagon hockey fan that starts watching just because the team won the Cup. I lived in Colorado when the Avs moved there, and they won the Cup their first season. McNichols was full of bandwagon fans that had no clue about hockey at all. I had one guy sitting behind me that would yell "where's the penalty" after every whistle. Middle of the second period I told him to STFU because it's f'ing ICING.
Oh man, I remember Avs fans bragging about winning the Cup their "first year in existence." :laugh:

Well, there's this place called Quebec...

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Oh man, I remember Avs fans bragging about winning the Cup their "first year in existence." :laugh:

Well, there's this place called Quebec...
Well they did add Roy after the move, lol. Proved to be the key trade.

If it makes you feel any better, I always wore my Wings jersey to playoff games. I don't hate the Avs like everyone else here though, watched too many games in Denver.

Funny thing is:
- I moved to Colorado in '95 and the Devils (Colorado Rockies) won the Cup
- Next year, the Avs won the Cup
- Detroit wins the next 2 while I live in Denver
- College for 2 years (Stars/Devils)
- I move back to MI and the Avs won again
- Then the Wings finally won the Cup while I lived in MI

I fully expect The Krakheads to win a Cup because it will be my new home team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
8 straight games without a goal. The invisible man strikes again
While getting a crap load of ice time.

It does go to show that Mantha's issues are deeper than the coach or the losing atmosphere in Detroit. We all know he can score when he wants to score.

The big thing is that it's working out well for Vrana. It's always better to work for an organization that wants you plus I'm guessing the teammates like him.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Sample size is too small to say who won yet, but it’s fun to extrapolate the goal pace so far:

Vrana: 57 goals
Mantha: 27 goals

Not bad for Athanasiou 2.0 considering Mantha’s such a sniper.
48 Assists vs 16 tho

The Wings are definitely happy with the trade.

Edit: please note that I am stupid and this post is wrong.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
48 Assists vs 16 tho

Wings need a shooter not a setup guy, I could care less if he had no assists.

Quite frankly though, I think the lack of assists stems from the fact that nobody else on this team can shoot (aside from Joey today). He's had some great passes that were flubbed by Zadina, Flip, and others. Meanwhile Mantha is playing with guys that can shoot.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
48 Assists vs 16 tho

What kind of calculator you got there, my man? Wanna borrow mine?

Here are the numbers from the working calculator:
Mantha: 20 assists
Vrana: 16 assists

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wings need a shooter not a setup guy, I could care less if he had no assists.

Quite frankly though, I think the lack of assists stems from the fact that nobody else on this team can shoot (aside from Joey today). He's had some great passes that were flubbed by Zadina, Flip, and others. Meanwhile Mantha is playing with guys that can shoot.

Ezekiel got the numbers wrong - he was looking at Mantha’s total points, not his assists. Mantha is actually on pace for 48 points total in a Caps uniform.

Mantha has 3 assists in 12 games. Vrana has 2 assists in 10. An extrapolated difference of 4 whole assists on the year. And that’s with Mantha playing ~85% of his time next to Backstrom.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
What kind of calculator you got there, my man? Wanna borrow mine?

Here are the numbers from the working calculator:
Mantha: 20 assists
Vrana: 16 assists
Ezekiel got the numbers wrong - he was looking at Mantha’s total points, not his assists. Mantha is actually on pace for 48 points total in a Caps uniform.

Mantha has 3 assists in 12 games. Vrana has 2 assists in 10. An extrapolated difference of 4 whole assists on the year. And that’s with Mantha playing ~85% of his time next to Backstrom.

Whoops my bad I'm dumb.

God damn columns and their confusing nature. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->