Managerial merry Go round part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Don't mind me lads, just getting my spot ready for the pictures of Steve Bruce with a black and white scarf over his head.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Newcastle is so poorly ran it is unbelievable. Sad to see, what could have been, and should have been, a great club being ran like this.

Looking at their current squad - it really is depressing. Maybe Bruce can get them to defend home a 17th place. I highly doubt it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Steve Bruce it is. So no idea why Genesio landed in Newcastle. Can't think of a club nearby.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I wonder whether Genesio was used as a threat by Newcastle to hurry Bruce into resigning from Sheff Wed. The Newcastle local media yesterday suggested the Joelinton deal would only be wrapped up if Bruce became manager within a very short time frame, which in itself was weird, given that NUFC were trying to foist Joelinton on Benitez since at least as early as the January transfer window.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I actually had hope for Newcastle, if for no one else for @Stray Wasp. I actually wanted them to be bought.

Steve Bruce though.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Yeah, hard to believe that they hired fat head.

In truth, the only new thing about this appointment is that Ashley offered Sheffield Wednesday an implausible amount of money as compensation for downgrading his coach. (It's amazing that the Owls had the optimism to imagine anyone would ever want to poach Bruce at all, but I suppose they wisely followed what might be the first rule of English football - always assume that somewhere out there is a moron with money to spend).

Otherwise, Ashley is following his preferred mode of business.

• A white Englishman born in the early 1960s - that also described Pardew, Carver and McClaren (Coincidentally, Ashley is a white Englishman born in the early 1960s . By the bye, his former chief executive said of Chris Hughton, 'he couldn't cope with where we are mentally. We are aggressive. You have to be aggressive.' The idea that Chris Hughton couldn't cope with aggression - whether mental or physical - seems to me to belie his longevity in football generally, let alone during the era he played. And this self-announced 'aggression' seems to me to contrast strangely with the Ashley regime's shrinking from challenging the EPL's top clubs, or his longstanding reluctance to deal with the media, unless via a tame journalist with links to the PR firm he owns shares in.)
  • An underwhelming CV - Kinnear, Hughton, Pardew, Carver, McClaren.
  • A career on the skids, excessively grateful and therefore likelier to fawn egregiously about the owner in public than to challenge Ashley's authority - Kinnear, Pardew, McClaren.
  • Cheap - Kinnear, Hughton, Pardew, Carver, McClaren.

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Herve Renard is the new Saudi Arabia manager, his first NT job outside of Africa where he was largely successful

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Mourinho being rumored to Valencia? Saw it a few places now.

That'd be fitting. Those United-Valencia matches in the CL group were absolutely some of the worst soccer I've ever watched. Mirror images of each other. Boring, no interest in scoring.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Mourinho being rumored to Valencia? Saw it a few places now.

That'd be fitting. Those United-Valencia matches in the CL group were absolutely some of the worst soccer I've ever watched. Mirror images of each other. Boring, no interest in scoring.
Valencia is a fun team to watch under Marcelino. If Marcelino does leave Valencia are in a world of trouble.

Reactions: YNWA14

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
In one of the potentially stranger moves Jurgen Klinsmann is close to becoming the manager of Ecuador. Strange as Klinsmann apparently has turned down better offers in the past but their FA won’t require him to live in Ecuador which is a perk for him that he wouldn’t get at many jobs (he loves California too much :D)

Its also not common for European managers to coach in South America in general

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
In one of the potentially stranger moves Jurgen Klinsmann is close to becoming the manager of Ecuador. Strange as Klinsmann apparently has turned down better offers in the past but their FA won’t require him to live in Ecuador which is a perk for him that he wouldn’t get at many jobs (he loves California too much :D)

Its also not common for European managers to coach in South America in general
According to "Bild" it's a done deal. Well, okay, he refused a job at his hometown VfB Stuttgart weeks ago (not a coaching job).

In other news:

Balakov stepped down as Bulgaria NT coach, because of the recent nazi incidents. I doubt they can find a better native coach. Bala is a legend.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
  • Valverde's contract with Barça goes to 2020 with the option for a year's extension. In "related" news, Koeman's contract with Holland apparently has a "Barça clause" that can be excercised until next Summer. EDIT: Now seeing Koeman's clause goes only to March.
  • Rumors swirling around Zidane. Allegri and Mourinho are two names that have been rumored.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
  • Valverde's contract with Barça goes to 2020 with the option for a year's extension. In "related" news, Koeman's contract with Holland apparently has a "Barça clause" that can be excercised until next Summer.
  • Rumors swirling around Zidane. Allegri and Mourinho are two names that have been rumored.
Oh Mourinho would be heavenly... also wouldn't mind Allegri don't think he's that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad