Managerial merry Go round part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Reading a lot of tweets Emery is fired or close to getting fired.

Yeah I saw a headline quoting Ornstein saying, “it’s when he’s fired not if.”

I also think that he speed of which the hiring and firing happened at Spurs makes me think Arsenal and Spurs were competing to hire mou.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah I saw a headline quoting Ornstein saying, “it’s when he’s fired not if.”

I also think that he speed of which the hiring and firing happened at Spurs makes me think Arsenal and Spurs were competing to hire mou.

Oh god, thank god then. Even if it's a new Mou and he guides Spurs to great new heights, I will still thank my stars he's nowhere near the team I support

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Emery just seems completely lost at Arsenal. Reminds me a bit of Ramos at Spurs. Cultural thing? I see no reason why Emery shouldn't be able to do at least decently at Arsenal. Even if his career as a manager hasn't been amazing he has still been fairly rock solid for 15 years. Clearly not happening.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rumours are that Arsenal are eyeing Nuno Espírito Santo along with Rodgers and Nagelsmann as his replacement if he gets fired.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I wonder if Watford will set record for sacked managers in a season. Maybe they hire Emery next.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Silva should be available this evening :D

Watford was always going down again at some point, but I honestly don´t understand how anyone could think it was sustainable the way they were operating. Almost ironically having seems to finally settle on Gracia of course.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Will be interesting to see how this 'saga' keeps going. I know Rodgers left Celtic for Leicester but that's a bit of a different thing than leaving one of the top 3 PL teams to go to a floundering club (at the moment, regardless of their history). I just don't see Rodgers leaving Leicester when they're doing so well and their upper management are so good. I'm sure that he'll keep getting bugged about it though throughout the season and into the summer.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Will be interesting to see how this 'saga' keeps going. I know Rodgers left Celtic for Leicester but that's a bit of a different thing than leaving one of the top 3 PL teams to go to a floundering club (at the moment, regardless of their history). I just don't see Rodgers leaving Leicester when they're doing so well and their upper management are so good. I'm sure that he'll keep getting bugged about it though throughout the season and into the summer.

It's not as if going to Arsenal suddenly gives him a huge budget to work with either. At Leicester they are going to spend, at least moderately, and they have tons of young talent to grow.

I have never understood these "rumors".

Reactions: YNWA14

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sacking a manager gives the illusion of strength but it's...

Good read on the ebs and flows that come with sacking a manger, also some good stats in general.

I don't subscribe, but I have seen stats earlier suggesting there is often a regression to the mean - when a manager gets sacked in/after a bad spell. I was praying for Pochettino to get through it, but it never happened.

I personally find it silly how quickly managers get sacked. Even if you get relegated it doesn't mean another manager is better. If the 20 best managers in the world manage in the PL then why sack one the top 20 to replace him/her with a manager outside the top 20?

At the same time I obviously understand how difficult it is to evaluate for someone if it is just a bad spell or if they got a manager that is trending down long term. You really don't want to keep someone that is slowly step by step making the club worse. I guess that might be why so many get sacked? The downside of keeping a bad manager is bigger than the upside of that same manager turning things around?

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Kovac has been in England this weekend watching games: Everton on Saturday, West Brom on Sunday and he will watch Arsenal today. Strong links with him becoming next Everton manager and even some talks for Arsenal which would not be a good fit imo

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Kovac has been in England this weekend watching games: Everton on Saturday, West Brom on Sunday and he will watch Arsenal today. Strong links with him becoming next Everton manager and even some talks for Arsenal which would not be a good fit imo
From Frankfurt to Bayern to Everton?
I don't believe that, but we will see. Stranger things happened.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Why not? Everton isn't a bad club. Just completely derailed for some reason.
Nothing against Everton, but I doubt they are very appealing to someone who just coached Bayern. Kovac managed Eintracht Frankfurt, comparable to Everton and then got promoted to Bayern. Why would take a step back only a few weeks after he got sacked?
I don't know if this a good career plan.
But we will see.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Nothing against Everton, but I doubt they are very appealing to someone who just coached Bayern. Kovac managed Eintracht Frankfurt, comparable to Everton and then got promoted to Bayern. Why would take a step back only a few weeks after he got sacked?
I don't know if this a good career plan.
But we will see.

Getting sacked from BM usually means you got to take a step back. Obviously not necessarily so that you got to go to a team in a relegation battle, but things could turn pretty quickly for Everton with the right man in charge. From a career building point of view I think taking the Everton job now is a pretty "easy win". Really don't see how anyone could do worse with that team than they are already doing.

If he doesn't get Arsenal I think he would struggle to get a job in the PL for a bigger team than Everton (I have no idea if he wants to go to England next though).

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Kovac is Croatian, but I think he and his brother were born in Wedding or Moabit, both located in Berlin.
He was linked to Hertha BSC Berlin but he didn't bite (he played for them once). Hertha is a probably equal to Everton. Rich histor,y in relegation troubles.
I don't say it's impossible he would go to Everton, but I still have doubts.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He was linked to Hertha BSC Berlin but he didn't bite (he played for them once). Hertha is a probably equal to Everton. Rich history in relegation troubles.

Wow, hadn't noticed how poorly they've been doing. Wasn't that long ago they were roaming around CL territory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->