Managerial merry Go round part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

You know it's bad when Totti leaves.

haha did you read the things that he said? You should take a look, if not.

Didn't come as any surprise to me, but perhaps those that don't follow the club closely will find it interesting.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
haha did you read the things that he said? You should take a look, if not.

Didn't come as any surprise to me, but perhaps those that don't follow the club closely will find it interesting.

I did read the comments. He's absolutely right and I don't blame him at all for saying what was needed to be said.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I did read the comments. He's absolutely right and I don't blame him at all for saying what was needed to be said.

I love how he said "I don't want to name names", but (paraphrasing) said "EDF plays a 4-3-3 and one guy had a thousand injuries... I would have signed the guy from Ajax."

Blatant shot at Pastore, who I've never been a fan of, and was a disaster this season. Loved it.

Why Monchi didn't sign Ziyech is beyond me.

Juve

May 13, 2011
I love how he said "I don't want to name names", but (paraphrasing) said "EDF plays a 4-3-3 and one guy had a thousand injuries... I would have signed the guy from Ajax."

Blatant shot at Pastore, who I've never been a fan of, and was a disaster this season. Loved it.

Why Monchi didn't sign Ziyech is beyond me.

I never understood the Pastore signing.
Totti should have slapped out every single board member, forehand to backhand.

Reactions: Il Mediano

Juve

May 13, 2011
This is from the Press Conference. It says a lot.

8:05:02 AM
Football Italia
“I want to thank President Giovanni Malago’ for giving me this opportunity in a beautiful hall that means so much to sportsmen.
“I sent an email to say something that felt unimaginable. I wrote my resignation. I was hoping this was not necessary, but the fateful day has arrived, which for me is very ugly and painful.
“Considering the conditions, it was only right that I made this brusque decision, especially as I never had the chance to work on the technical area with Roma.”

“I made this decision after several months, but it seemed right. This is a club to be loved and supported. There shouldn’t be pro-Totti, Pro-Pallotta or pro-Baldini factions. Just Roma fans.
“As I said, Presidents pass, Coaches pass, players pass, but the flags do not."

“I thought long and hard. Let’s just say it was not my fault that I had to make this decision. I don’t know what else to tell you.”

Right, you’ve got your headlines, haven’t you?”
He'll now take questions.

Enrico Lucci has arrived to give his contribution, usually as a prankster and TV host who breaks in to other conferences.

“No, I never thought why did I bother? Because Roma is my second home, maybe even my first, as I spent more time at Trigoria than at my house.
“I always put Roma first and wanted to take this club to the top, all over the world, so this was a painful decision.”

Totti
“It was not my fault because I never had the chance to express myself. I was never involved in a genuine technical project. In the first year, that can happen. In the second, I realised what I wanted to do and we never got together, never helped each other.
“They knew my intentions and what I wanted, to give so much to this club and team, but they never wanted me to, in all honesty. They excluded me from every decision.”

“I can only thank the people of Rome for the way they always treated me. There was always reciprocal respect, on the field and off. I can only urge them to continue cheering on this team, because Roma must always be supported and honoured.
“In my eyes, Roma is the most important club in the world. It saddens me to see them in this current condition. It irritates me. Roma fans are unlike any others, the love they have for the club is endless.
“I will always support Roma. It’s an arriverderci, not a goodbye. It’s impossible to see Totti outside of Roma. As a Romanista, what really irritates me is that I can’t see it happen.
“I will now take other paths. At the moment another club owner wants to trust in me, I’ll always be ready.”

“At this moment, there are many things I can do. I am evaluating, calmly, all the offers on the table and the one that makes me feel happiest, I’ll give it my all from the heart.
“I am not here to point the blame towards one or the other. We had started a journey, it was not respected, so I am moving on.”

Everyone knows they made me stop playing. They wanted me to stop. I had a six-year contract already as a director. I started quietly, realising it’s a completely different sphere to being on the field.
“Many promises were made and they were never kept. They knew what I wanted. Naturally, as time goes on, you judge, you evaluate, as I too have a character and don’t just sit there doing what they every now and then ask me to do.
“I did it for Roma, but as time wore on, I didn’t think it fair to put myself at the disposal of people who never wanted me to be there.”

*let's not mess about here, he means Franco Baldini*

The main focus of certain people has been to remove Romans from Roma. In the end, the truth came out, because they achieved what they wanted.
“Over the last eight years, since the Americans came in, they tried in every possible way to shove us to one side. As the years went on, they tried everything they could… It’s what they wanted and in the end, they succeeded.”

Totti asked about his rapport with Baldini
“The rapport with Franco Baldini has never existed and never will. If I made this decision, it’s only normal that there were misunderstandings, problems within the club.
“One of us had to go. I stepped aside because you can’t have too many people sticking their oar in and causing chaos. Everyone should do their own job and leave the others to get on with their own work, that’d allow everything to run smoothly."

“You can do all the talking you want from Trigoria, but the last word always came from London. There was no point telling people what was wrong and what needed fixing, as it was a waste of time. Nobody listened, they just listened to the word from London.”

“I think everyone knows the real problems that are within the club right now, above all Financial Fair Play, as we have to sell players by June 30.
“So they have thought about these difficult choices of selling the best players. It’s easier to get money from these players and block up the holes that are in the Financial Fair Play.
“The important thing is to be honest. I always tell the directors, you have to tell the truth, even if it’s ugly. In an interview I said once that Roma would finish fourth or fifth, that Juve would win the Scudetto by January. I was told that I was incompetent and robbing dreams from players and fans.
“If you tell the truth and are transparent, you cannot be attacked for what you say. It’s easy to take people for a ride. Seeing as I have always been honest and transparent, I cannot stay here.”

“A player can always find an excuse, as when things go badly, he says oh there’s no President here, nobody who tells us how things really are, and this causes problems for the squad every weekend. In my view, it does damage.
“I’ve said before that the President needs to be present more, because when players, directors and staff see the chief, they stand to attention and work the way they ought to. When the boss isn’t there, they start doing what they want.
“That’s true of any work environment. When there’s the Coach, you train hard, when it’s the assistant manager, you don’t give your all.”

“If I made this decision, then it means I was unable to do anything. I never felt a part of the project, above all on the technical level. Not to big myself up, but I think I have a good eye to see who is a good player and who isn’t.
“I don’t want to do other things, because this is what I feel that I’m good at. With my experience, and I admit I’ll make mistakes, but I can recognise talent in a player.”

Totti asked if Qatar really are interested in purchasing the club from Pallotta.
“I often travelled around various continents, above all in the Emirates, Kuwait, Dubai, etc. There are many people who would like to make investments, but until I see it on paper, I don’t believe it.
“What I can say is that Roma are admired and loved all over the world, so everyone would like to own them. I cannot point to individuals who can or cannot buy, because it wouldn’t be fair or accurate.”

“Many things made me think about this. I was never allowed to participate, they called me in to I think 10 meetings over two years. They’d always call me at the last minute, as if they were trying to keep me out. After a while, that starts to really weigh on you.
“It shows a lack of respect not for a director, but for a person. I tried to bring something to this club, but I saw the thought process on the other side was different.”

Totti: 'It feels like dying"
“If I were to return to Roma, we’d need a new owner. First and foremost. If the new owners believed in me, then that would be great.
“What I can say is that I will never hurt Roma. This is far worse than retiring as a player. Leaving Roma is like dying. I feel like it’d be better if I died.
“So many have told me over the years that I am too much of a weight on this club. That I get in the way.”

“I never talked about or asked about money. I asked to be a technical director because I think I am competent at finding good players. I never asked to run everything.
“I asked to make the same decisions as everyone else, but if they get a new Coach, get players, sell players and don’t ask you, then what kind of a technical director am I?
“I didn’t go to London because they called me two days before and had already struck a deal with the Coach. I don’t even know if they’ve chosen a director of sport.
“The only Coach I ever called and spoke to was Antonio Conte. It is not true that I called or sent a message to Gasperini, Gattuso, Mihajlovic. It’s all fantasy.
“So if they act like I made all these calls and was turned down, yet they made one call to Fonseca and he accepted, no. I will not be made to look like a fool. There is zero truth to it.”

“No, I wouldn’t return if Baldini left, because what’s happened has happened. The vase is broken, it cannot be put together again. They made their choice and if they were going to remove Baldini, they would’ve done it already.
“I have nothing against Pallotta and Baldini. They made their choices and I respect that.”

“No, I wouldn’t return if Baldini left, because what’s happened has happened. The vase is broken, it cannot be put together again. They made their choice and if they were going to remove Baldini, they would’ve done it already.
“I have nothing against Pallotta and Baldini. They made their choices and I respect that.”

“Yes, but Fienga said this three months ago, that he’d make me the technical director at long last. In my first contract I wrote with Roma, everyone knew that was the role I wanted.
“However, if there is someone who ALWAYS puts a spanner in the works and finds some sort of problem… I’m not stupid.
“The technical director gives an important opinion on the new Coach, right? But seeing as they decided everything, what was I supposed to do? If things went badly, could I go out there and say I hadn’t chosen Fonseca?"

“Guido Fienga and I called Conte, before Pallotta knew about it. I said the only one who can transform Roma right now is Antonio Conte. He had given us the all-clear, as we saw and talked to him many times, but then there were problems and he changed his mind.
“When we did talk to Pallotta, he was happy about the idea.”

De Rossi
“I never got involved in the De Rossi decision. I had already told some directors in September that if you think this is Daniele’s last season, tell him straight away, not like with me where you told me two rounds from the end.
“He is the captain of Roma, he has to be respected. They all said yes, we’ll evaluate, we’ll consider, he got injured, the results weren’t coming, Di Francesco and Monchi left, it all became more complicated.
“The problem at Trigoria is they need to be done straight away, not allowing time to past. People are scared to make decisions. There has to be one person who makes a decision, not 10.”

“I talked to Daniele as a friend, not as a director. I told him to look forward, look beyond. I was a Roma director, I couldn’t say too much, but as a friend, I gave him advice that there could be problems on the horizon.
“The problems did arrive, just as they did with me. What I don’t understand is if they did this because it’s what they wanted to do or if they just didn’t think about it.
“From what I’ve seen, it’s what they have always wanted: to remove the Romans from Roma.”

“I never contacted Maurizio Sarri. I don’t know what his objectives or evaluations were, just that Sarri was a favourite of Baldini. Of course, he’s a great Coach who would’ve done well here, but he was under contract with Chelsea.
“Anyway, this is irrelevant. We should talk about the present. Fonseca has to find an environment that is relaxed, with a clear path ahead of him.
“People already admire him for how he put himself at the disposal of the Coach. From what I’ve seen, he is a fine Coach who can do well and was very impressive at Shakhtar.”

“Conte would’ve had to come here and made a revolution, whereas he wanted a continuation. It will be a revolution, because there will be many sales.
“I will come to a few games next season, why not? I am a Roma fan. I might go into the Curva Sud with Daniele De Rossi to watch the game, unless of course he’s playing somewhere else. We might need wigs, or we won’t see much of the game!”

“I wasn’t ever going to change Roma, but at least give a contribution. Many promises were made, very few of them real. As a fan, that disappoints me, because as a fan, I have dreams of seeing Roma compete at the top.
“Even if we don’t win the Scudetto, we can compete and maybe win a trophy or two. Unfortunately, there are financial problems and they have to be respected.
“If we have to sell because this year we are running at a loss of €50-60m, we can’t sell youth players and get that amount of money. We have to sell important players. That’s how it works. This isn’t a surprise to anyone.”

Vincenzo: What about all the young players we have on loan will they ever play for roma or are they here just to make profit?

“If I was the President of Roma and had two icons like Totti and De Rossi, I’d put them in charge of everything. They have ethics, they know everything about what it means to be Roman and Romanista.
“Pallotta surrounded himself with the wrong people and he only listens to them. Everyone makes mistakes, but if you make the same mistakes for eight years, you have to ask yourself some questions. Something clearly is going wrong.”

“If I was the President of Roma and had two icons like Totti and De Rossi, I’d put them in charge of everything. They have ethics, they know everything about what it means to be Roman and Romanista.
“Pallotta surrounded himself with the wrong people and he only listens to them. Everyone makes mistakes, but if you make the same mistakes for eight years, you have to ask yourself some questions. Something clearly is going wrong.”

“When I take part in charity events, they know what I’m doing and told me it was important to bring Roma’s name around the world. It’s not as if I go off by myself to do those.
“Many directors go on holiday for a week, the problem is that nobody recognises them and therefore don’t care. I read everything you said about me, don’t worry.”

“I trust Daniele De Rossi 100 per cent. I know it was not him who said certain things.”

“I’m holding back a little, because if someone replies, I’ll hit back…”

“Over the last few weeks, they tried in every way to keep me there, but via third parties. In two years, I never heard directly from Pallotta or Baldini. They have never called or sent a message directly.
“What would you think in that situation? Would you feel loved and wanted there? No. If I make mistakes, that’s fine, tell me to my face. None of it every happened.”

“For 20 years people have said Roma would get back to winning, but it’s been 18 years since the Scudetto. I want people to keep their promises.”“For 20 years people have said Roma would get back to winning, but it’s been 18 years since the Scudetto. I want people to keep their promises.”

“I don’t need absolute power. Just a little bit to make some decisions. The problem is, when I say something, it’s never listened to. I don’t need to stand in front of everyone. Others do.”

“I don’t need absolute power. Just a little bit to make some decisions. The problem is, when I say something, it’s never listened to. I don’t need to stand in front of everyone. Others do.”

“As far as I am concerned, I was cumbersome for this club. People told me both as a player and a director that I am a burden. It hurt more this time than to leave as a player, because it’s like leaving your mother.”

Is Pallotta here for the stadium or for Roma?
“You’d have to ask him. I can’t answer that. Only he can know that. If I were to answer, it’d probably be incorrect, so it would be unfair to try.”

“I won’t be left unemployed. I received some offers from Italian clubs, including one this morning. I take everything into consideration, because I am free.
“Juve or Napoli, let’s not go wild here… No, out of respect for Roma, I wouldn’t do that. I mean stuff like FIFA, UEFA, etc.
“Some things I read first in the papers and then I found out from Roma, so imagine how much they kept me informed.”

“I spoke to Pallotta face-to-face only once, when I retired as a player. I went to London with my wife and Baldini was there. That is literally the only time we spoke face-to-face about anything.”

Would you thank Pallotta for anything over these eight years?

“I thank him for giving me the chance to stay at Roma, to work and learn a different role. I got to know things as a director that otherwise I never would’ve known. I thank him so much for that.
“Let it be clear, I want Pallotta to succeed and I hope he can take Roma back to where they belong, at the top. I hope he can get the right advice and achieve greatness.”

“I never thought after 30 years of Roma that I’d be here saying goodbye to Roma. I never imagined it.”
“Pallotta needs to understand Roma and the real problems within Trigoria. I hoped to discuss many things with him, but I never got the opportunity.
“I don’t want anyone thinking I am against Pallotta or want him to fail, because Roma is Roma and the rest is irrelevant. I just hope that from today, he changes tack.”

“I promised many things to Lorenzo Pellegrini and I hope they come true, because he is a special lad, on the field and off. He’s clean-cut, can give so much to this club and this jersey, as he will honour it to the end as a Roma fan.
“At the end of the day, you need a Romanista in there. Because at times, when you see the final whistle and there are smiling faces, it p***es you off.
“When you see directors who are happy to lose… It happens, but I will never name names. If we are all united, then we can achieve something.”

“I don’t think they realise what they’re doing here, because they don’t live in the city, experience the tv, the radio, the papers. Being a Roman, understanding what it means to be Roman, is completely different. You have to be here to realise it.
“I am sure that the message coming through to Boston is only 1% of the reality. I hope they can realise what they’ve been doing in removing the Romans from Roma, but evidently that was their choice and what they wanted.
“I am not angry, I am not going against Pallotta or Baldini. I am just explaining why I resigned.”
“There were problems over the last two years between me and some Roma directors that prompted me to make this brusque decision.
“If I were to have the opportunity to come back to Roma with different owners, then I’m ready to take the role and do everything possible for Roma.
“It disappoints me that I have to say this here, because I never wanted to resign.”

My Romanista faith comes first and foremost, obviously. Respect towards the fans and my people, and they always will be my people and nobody can ever take them away from me, is paramount.”

Rapport with Monchi
“I will not name any players out of respect. I returned from vacation the first year that I retired, they asked me for an opinion on a player and I said that at this moment he would not be good for Roma, because Di Francesco plays 4-3-3. He is in another role, he’s had a thousand injuries, in my view, you’d need another player.
“Other directors said I always complain, that I cause problems, that I create issues. They asked for my opinion. I would’ve made a different choice and I think it would’ve been the right one.
“I would’ve chosen an Ajax player…”

“Other strong clubs, including the strongest, don’t do these things. Whoever gets it wrong, he needs to pay. It can be Messi, Ronaldo, whoever, they have to show reciprocal respect. If you got it wrong, you have to pay.”

“After a Champions League semi-final, you think next year, you must head to the Final. But selling players, and I want to defend Di Francesco here – although I want to be clear Monchi chose him, not me, I made no decisions – he asked for four or five players who were never signed.
“It’s too easy to hide, because the truth hurts. The Coach may well have made mistakes, but he asked for four or five players and they signed ZERO.”

“I tell the truth. If a player asked me for advice on coming to Roma, I wouldn’t take him for a ride. I’d tell him the positives and the negatives, then he’d make his own decision. I am transparent.
“The positives are the city, it’s beautiful, sunny, and of course the Roma fans, who are the greatest of all.”

End of Totti conference

Reactions: Il Mediano

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Oh yeah, it's a mess, make no mistake about it.

Just a disaster last 12 months. Outside of Fonseca, I don't think Pallotta has done much right.

We still don't even have a Director of Football yet...lol.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Oh yeah, it's a mess, make no mistake about it.

Just a disaster last 12 months. Outside of Fonseca, I don't think Pallotta has done much right.

We still don't even have a Director of Football yet...lol.
What's he referencing when he talked about "the Americans"? And when he talks about "removing Romans from Roma, is he talking about players on the pitch or decision makers in the board room?

*edited for clarity

Last edited:

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
What's he referencing when he talked about "the Americans"? And when he talks about "removing Romans from Roma, is he talking about players on the pitch or decision makers in the board room?

*edited for clarity

Oh god, where to begin?

He's talking about Pallotta being an American who bought the club from the Sensi's who were Roman through and through.

Roma's always had a tradition of having players from Rome at the club on the pitch and off it.

Here's just a snippet of what the ex-owner said today:

Sensi: 'My father's Roma ruined' | Football Italia

Essentially, most people felt De Rossi was unrightfully kicked out of the club at the end of this season, and now Rome's other son Totti has left because of disagreements with the American Pallotta.

Italy's rife with xenophobic undertones (or over) and Roma might be the one of the worst for it. Pallotta's been treated as an outsider from day 1, and a large portion of the fanbase feel he's been stripping away the Roma they knew and loved piece by piece. They don't think he actually cares about the club the way the Sensi's did. Which, is probably true. He's almost never in Rome, and has been at war with the curva/ultras pretty much from the start.

I could go into further detail if you're interested. It's a pretty interesting club and always filled with drama.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juve

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Well the Spain job is open...

Luis Enrique has stepped down do to “personal reasons” and he hasn’t managed the team for their last three games. Assistant coach Robert Moreno will take over

Juve

May 13, 2011

I never thought I'd actually see Sarri in a suit and tie.

Paratici on Pogba and Rabiot
"Pogba is a Manchester United player, he was with us for many years, he grew up here and we love him, but he is a Manchester United player.
"There are many clubs who want Rabiot. We are in the running, not just for him, but the other targets in our minds. We'll discuss it with Maurizio and try to find the right targets together for the team we want to see."

Sarri on improving Juventus
"It's not about working on one area. Clearly, my style of football is different. I have to figure out how much I can bring of my ideas and be productive.
"I have to gain more points, not fewer, while using my philosophy. It's about the balance of how much is down to the tactics and how much we leave in the hands of the players.
"If you ask my opinion, I'd like to see Pjanic touch the ball 150 times per game. However, it's about balancing everything and the various characteristics.
"I tend to give a lot more freedom to my teams from the final third, as that is where the players can improvise a little more.
"Every team is like a son, you can't all have the same, nor should you want to. They all have their characteristics."

‎Sarri on Chelsea pressure
"The English media is made up of big newspapers and then the tabloids on an inferior level.
"It fortifies you, but what disappointed me was that in Italy people only reported the attacks of the tabloids and not the more prestigious and reliable newspapers like The Times.
"Attacks do make you stronger."

‎Sarri on Bernardeschi
"Everyone knows I like this lad, ever since Fiorentina-Napoli. He is well-organised, has talent, but lacks a little bit of consistency from game to game. I think this is the moment of his career where he needs to play consistently in one single role."

Sarri have regrets on his past behaviour?
"I don't know what the Juve Style is or if I'll be asked to adapt. I went to dinner last night and saw no real difference.
"I said some things wrong, others were used to mean something different that I did not mean.
"People keep using that phrase I said, how do you get a penalty, have a striped jersey, but they forget that was after Empoli-Milan....
"With the finger, I was wrong and I reacted excessively towards 10-20 stupid idiots, not towards Juventus fans. I said that even at the time. If out of 40,000 people there are 10 idiots who spit at you, then the reaction came. I do not consider those people to be Juventus fans."

Sarri on Higuain
"I haven't spoken to Gonzalo since the post-Europa League Final party. I had to get my ideas sorted on Juve and this club.
"He is a Juventus player, so when he returns from vacation, we'll have the opportunity to talk.
"Gonzalo has the characteristics that allow him to play with anyone. I said it depends on Gonzalo because I get the feeling he didn't enjoy the post-Juventus experience and was a little shaken after that season, these things happen. If he can get a strong reaction, he can play another 3-4 years at a high level."

Sarri on De Laurentiis or Allegri
"I have not heard from the President. Everyone thinks I have an ugly rapport with Aurelio, but I will always thank him. How often does a child who supported Napoli get to be their Coach? There can be divergent views along the way, but that's natural with two strong characters.
"I will not tell you the names of the players I did hear from, not even under torture, because those are strictly personal.
"At times, I chat with Allegri via common friends, but so far I haven't heard from him. I hope to do so during the summer. We tend to joke around, though, we don't usually discuss anything serious."

‎Sarri on Sarrismo
"I honestly don't know what Sarrismo is. I read in the dictionary it was more than a tactical philosophy. I have always been me. I might change my views of football and life over the years with experience, but the concepts remain the same.
"I am a direct person, at times a bit too direct, who needs people to be open and say things face to face. This can lead to clashes, but those can be resolved. Rancor only ever occurs because of things that are not said out loud.
"I hope that I never changed the fundamental concepts of my life and football."

Sarri on being a tactical fundamentalist
"I don't see how you could say that when I started at Empoli with 4-3-1-2, then moved to 4-3-3 at Napoli and a disguised 4-4-2 at Chelsea."

Sarri on change of philosophy throughout Juventus
"I got here yesterday, Sir Alex Ferguson took 20 years to impose a style on the youth teams as well as the senior squad. I'd like to do that, but it'd be a very, very long process meeting with the various youth Coaches. I don't think I am young enough to stay here as long as Ferguson did at Manchester United."

‎ Paratici on Sarri
"He was absolutely the first choice. I don't know what we said to convince him, maybe he just felt we really wanted him."

Sarri on what Allegri leaves behind
"Allegri leaves a lot to live up to. We know full well that it's not easy to win all that he did over the last five years. His results were extraordinary.
"I'd like to see the same capability that Max gave the team to hold out under pressure for 30 minutes and still win. It's something I rarely managed, perhaps that is because of my approach. If you get the team accustomed to keeping the ball and they don't have it for a while, they can struggle and start to panic.
"Allegri's teams on the other hand seemed to be struggling, but then you always had the thought in your mind that they could win it anyway."

Sarri on transfers
"There are directors here who have been following these players for years, so I will listen to their opinions too.
"Maybe not Higuain, who I know pretty well, but I will first and foremost listen and adapt to what the club suggests. It would be unfair for me to impose my ideas on people who know these players more than me.
"Once I get a clearer idea of what our key system will be, then we'll talk about transfers. I don't like to name names to a club, but I am more focused on characteristics and the kind of players I'd like to have. Paratici knows far more players than me, so we're in good hands."

‎Sarri on key players
"The players who can really change everything are in attack. It's up to us to organise the players around the field, but in the final third there are players with the talent to make the difference.
"Ronaldo is talented, so is Dybala, Douglas Costa is a potential top player who hasn't really shown what he can do consistently. These are great talents and we must see how we can build around them, what they can give in defending.
"The players who make the difference are the most talented, so those are the ones you build around.
"I haven't named Higuain, Mandzukic, I don't have the entire squad list at my disposal. I was just making some examples, not ruling anyone out.
"Pipa is a lad I love a great deal and it depends on him if he remains."

‎Sarri on how Juve convinced him
"I had 30 years of negotiations with clubs, so I think I know how to read people by now. I can read when someone really believes in what he's saying and is totally convinced.
"It's not about a phrase, it's their attitude, their approach, the effort they make to come out and meet you. It shows their conviction that they want you specifically as their Coach.
"That was the most important thing, for me."

Paratici on why Juve chose Sarri
"Style of football was not central to the reasoning for changing. We chose Maurizio because we felt he was the best Coach for Juventus right now, just as Allegri was five years ago and Conte three years before that.
"These are all different Coaches with different characteristics. Sarri showed he can win in the Premier League and internationally, so he's the right man for the job."

Sarri flying to Ronaldo
"We'll talk about it this afternoon. I asked to talk to 2-3 players so we could share some ideas.
"Around 30 years ago, I believed I could impose my views on players, but now I realise it's important to ask players how they view themselves and weave it all together.
"I don't know if I'll visit Ronaldo in a few days or more, we haven't organised anything."

Sarri on criticising Juve
"I did everything I could do. It was my moral duty, as I was representing people who hadn't won the title for 30 years.
"I felt the need to pull 110 per cent out of everyone, players and fans. I was born in Naples and supported Napoli, so I had everything required to fight with sword in hand for those colours.
"After that, stories come to an end. I can take some of the blame, not all of it.
"I made a gesture of extreme respect towards Napoli by going abroad, even with a delicate family situation, and the club that convinced me the most with their proposal just happened to be Juventus.
"It's a normal process, if you think about it logically. If you want to create this soap opera around the declarations, middle finger, etc, then you can write whatever you want."

What does Sarri expect against Napoli?
"With regards to the anti-Neapolitan and racist chants, it's time we just stop this in Italy. It's time to just say enough and stop games. Napoli are perhaps most hit by a certain attitude from opposition supporters. Enough. Enough, we can't continue to be 30-40 years behind the rest of Europe.
"As for playing against Napoli, when I leave the San Paolo to applause, I know it's a show of love. If I leave being jeered, it'll be a show of love. My feelings for the people of Napoli will not change."

Sarri on training methods and how he changed
"What changes are the characteristics of the players. Napoli had team players, who were totally at the disposal of the team and moved the ball at a decisively quicker pace.
"Chelsea are made up of probably technically superior players, but with different individual characteristics.
"They have wingers who want the ball at their feet and like to go one-on-one. It leads to a less fluid style of football, because Napoli had 11 who could play one-touch football, Chelsea had seven or eight who could do that and the others were individuals who could make the difference going by themselves.
"We were fairly unbeatable in the last two-three months. You'd be insane to think you could change the characteristics of the players at your disposal. I'd be in the amateur leagues at that point.
"You are dealing with players at this level who are already champions. The philosophy of football remains largely the same, but you must have the mental elasticity to adapt to the players and figure out how to win games."

Sarri on suit and tie
"I'll talk to the club. Obviously, when representing the club, I will wear their uniform. The important thing at my age is that they don't send me out there naked..."
‎Bryan Cleves: Will you have the possibility of having squad rotations?
‎Dan : Will Gonzalo higuain return to juventus for the upcoming season
Sarri on 'marching to the palace take power'
"I had the absolute conviction of going to take the Scudetto. It was a professional aim, but at that time I was representing one of the most passionate fanbases who hadn't won the Scudetto in 30 years.
"That year, I felt like we didn't have the ability to go for several different targets, so we decided to go with ferocity towards one single objective. We wanted to take the Scudetto. We came close too and we really believed. It didn't end well, but the journey was wonderful."

Sarri on style
"I think the objective of enjoying yourself on the field is not antithetical to winning. If a team entertains the crowd and enjoys its football, that can be further fuel towards victory.
"It's not as if a team that enjoys itself is frivolous. I remember after the first 2-3 Empoli games in Serie A, I was asked if we thought we could secure safety playing this style of football rather than defend and counter? We saved ourselves with six rounds to spare.
"There have been Coaches who won with completely different and contrasting philosophies of football. There is no one way to win. Therefore a Coach should stay true to himself and his vision, taking into account the possibility of failure."

Sarri on strikers
"I think when a player has the qualities of Dybala or Cristiano, he can play in any role. What changes is the interpretation of the role and the squad must adapt to those characteristics, as centre-forward is a key role."

Sarri on scepticism
"I arrive surrounded by sceptics, but then I always am. I had the same at Empoli, Napoli and Chelsea.
"I arrive at Juventus from Chelsea and the step might spark less scepticism, but I do come from a history and so I expect some rancor.
"In football, I know only one way of removing scepticism from the minds of people: win and do so convincingly. So all I can do is put on a show."

Sarri on CR7
"I trained a player with the all-time Serie A record for goals in a single season (Gonzalo Higuain at Napoli). I'd like to make that two. It'd be an enormous satisfaction."

Sarri
"Clubs are at the end of the day made up of people. I liked the unity I saw in the first approach from Juventus, as that is important for me. At the end of the day, you work for a club and what allows you to give another one per cent is the emotional bond with the people.
"I needed only a couple of meetings with them to realise how determined, strong and with a solid mentality they were. I like that."

Paratici
"We made a choice, thinking the propulsion and alchemy created between club, Coach, players and fans could start to weaken a little. Our choice to change Allegri was not down to results or style of football."

Napoli call him traitors
"I have some messages sent personally by those players with a very different tone and view of the profession. These would change the view here... At times, players say things to fit in with the environment around them.
"I had three years at Napoli, I made a choice out of respect to them to go abroad. With the need to come to Italy, I received an offer from Juventus and that's it.
"In my life, I have respected everyone and given 110 per cent to every jersey I worked with. I'll do the same with these colours, I cannot do more than 110 per cent.
"My choices were very logical, there's no need to write a novel around it."
‎Shamil: What is the best position for Ronaldo in your Juventus in Your opinion Mr. Sarri ?

Sarri on fighting the 'power' of Juve
"I think that I experienced three years in which my first thought in the morning was how to beat Juventus, because we were the most credible alternative to them, so my moral duty was to find every way Napoli could defeat Juventus.
"I gave 110 per cent, I wasn't able to do it. I'd do it all again, but that was a sporting rivalry and my professionalism will now bring me to give my all for this club.
"Even if I did it with ways that were perhaps wrong, my efforts were intellectually appreciable. If I have an opponent that I must give everything to defeat and fail, I can even 'hate' them, but I can also appreciate them."

Sarri on Ronaldo
"I've trained great players over the years, but with Ronaldo I move on to the next level, a player who is at the top of the world.
"This is a lad with every record in world football and I'd like to help him set another, knowing I contributed to it."

"If I had over the years all the emotions that you seem to think I had, then I'd have had a heart attack ages ago.
"I am not going from the amateur leagues straight to Juventus, I went through Serie C, B, A, Premier League and Juve.
"I come from Chelsea, another big club, clearly with less history than Juventus, because their level only raised over the last 10-15 years.
"These are all steps forward in my career, but very, very gradual ones. So yes, it is emotional to be here, but it's not as if I was just dropped into the Juventus job."

Sarri on systems
"You can't start with a system and send players away or bring them in. We have to identify the two or three players who can make the difference.
"The third step is to talk to the players, listen to them and then see what system we can use.
"In recent years, I've had 4-3-3, but the 4-3-3 at Chelsea was very different to the one at Napoli. We had to accompany Eden Hazard's characteristics, as he could change the game, but also his presence caused issues in defending that we had to work on.
"I played 4-3-1-2 for a lifetime before the 4-3-3, so we'll see."

Sarri on Champions League
"I expect to get up in the morning and study how to win games. If a club tries to drill the idea that victory is owed to them, then there's a mistake. You have to go out to win.
"As for the Champions League, Juventus will go there to win, but also aware there are eight or nine other teams who are in the same situation.
"I feel there is more responsibility to win in Italy. In Europe, there is the dream, the passion to win something that has an extraordinary difficult coefficient."

Sarri on Premier League
"I think we have a long path ahead of us. I was talking to the President about structures and organisation. Going around English stadiums, you realise how inadequate our arenas are.
"There needs to be a cultural shift, as you turn behind you on the bench and are surrounded by children.
"I think in terms of club organisation and tactically on the field, we still have the upper hand compared to England.
"I am excited by Serie A this season, because there is the return of Antonio Conte, Marco Giampaolo at Milan, the arrival of an exciting talent like Paulo Fonseca at Roma and at Sassuolo a man I admire a great deal, Roberto De Zerbi. I see a sparkling situation."

"When Juventus contacted me, the sensation was strong. I've never seen a club so determined to get a Coach in my 30 years here and that is what convinced me.
"I've never seen so many directors all so very determined to get a single Coach. They were determined, convinced and united in their choice."

"Juventus gave me that opportunity and it's the crowning moment of a career that for 80 per cent of it was extremely tough.
"I feel that I have respected everyone and I gave my all."

Sarri
"You need clear ideas on your journey. I supported Napoli because I was born in Naples and I got the idea we could be competitive at a national level, so I gave my all.
"In the last few months at Napoli, I had doubts between my affection for the club and fans, and my professional feeling the journey there had concluded.
"During my doubts, Carlo Ancelotti was introduced and that was probably my fault, as it was my doubt.
"I received offers, but preferred to go abroad, as I did not want to move directly to another Italian club.
"The Premier League was a great experience, but in the latter half, I felt professional and personal needs to return to Italy."

Director Fabio Paratici
"The negotiations with Chelsea did not last over a month. We had clear ideas from the start, but you have to show respect for a Coach under contract and two big clubs.
"I thank Chelsea for their disposal, as Marina Granovskaia confirmed herself one of the best directors out there."

Maurizio Sarri
"I am happy to be here. clearly, I am at your disposal for all questions and curiosities, I'll give you the information that I can."

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I like Sarri a lot. I don't have any particular disposition toward Juventus so it wouldn't bother me if he rejeuvenates (relative term) that squad to an extent. I think Ronaldo - Dybala - Costa/Berna is going to be fire next season. Dybala especially is going to benefit the most from Sarri's tactics, IMO.

Reactions: Juve

Juve

May 13, 2011
I like Sarri a lot. I don't have any particular disposition toward Juventus so it wouldn't bother me if he rejeuvenates (relative term) that squad to an extent. I think Ronaldo - Dybala - Costa/Berna is going to be fire next season. Dybala especially is going to benefit the most from Sarri's tactics, IMO.

I fully agree with you. I am quite excited, where there are quite a lot of Juve fans having a melt down. If he could a nobody in Mertens in a 34 goal scorer and Higauin into 38 goal scorer I am excited to see what can do with Dybala.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mertens and Higuaín were both very good players before Sarri, but they definitely benefited from his system and fit into it very well.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Will sarri play Dybala as a 9 though? How would he fair with Ronaldo still? I’m skeptical, still hoping he leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia