Malkin wanted out if Kessel returned

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Kessel being a dickhead or no couldn't he have just solved it another way like throwing Kessel's clothes in the shower? Looking forward to a trend where players start demanding where they play and who they play with. I'm sure it happens--it's bound too--but out in the open it's just not a good look and further erodes the idea that coaches wield any sort of power. So i guess easy-out for coaches post-game is "Well player X just didn't feel like killing penalties tonight." or whatever.
But i mean obviously a guy you're counting on and paying that much will ultimately wield more influence with the GM than a coach so...Good on Malkin for making an executive decision?

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Damn this is interesting , hopefully Kessel comments on this and doesnt just give us the typical “ Thats behind me now”

I want drama damnit
Kessel doesn't get along with Suter or Parise either. That is why he isn't in Minnesota

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t know. I remember Neal and Malkin screaming at each other during their shifts, they clearly had artistic differences.

Not sure I’d pin this all on Phil. I’ve never gotten the impression Malkin is very easy to play with.

Reactions: BHD

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
All this **** makes me appreciate a guy like Crosby even more. Malkin and Kessel are really similar in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If someone like Gary Roberts had done this, everyone would be falling over themselves to fawn at his strong leadership.

I think anything that Malkin does tends to be interpreted poorly. It’s kind of like the Jagr treatment before he was rehabilitated into jolly older statesman.

Everyone knows that Kessel is a weird guy. He keeps getting traded. Some of it has to be Kessel.

It’s kind of like what is happening with Subban.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don’t know. I remember Neal and Malkin screaming at each other during their shifts, they clearly had artistic differences.

Not sure I’d pin this all on Phil. I’ve never gotten the impression Malkin is very easy to play with.
Wait, James Neal isn't the best example though. He basically alienated himself from the entire flames team last season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Wait, James Neal isn't the best example though. He basically alienated himself from the entire flames team last season.
Not disagreeing, just saying I don’t think there’s anyone innocent here. All three of them are probably tough to play with. And we’re talking about Neal years ago not Neal from last season. There may be a difference.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
The writer of this article is not a paragon of journalism, so I hope we get confirmation.

I wonder if Jack Johnson wasn't the defender with most TOI with Malkin/Kessel they would have had better results and less friction with each other and the coach.

What is the source of the "Crosby won't play with Kessel" statement?

Reactions: Casanova

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Yeah, especially since the article cites that Malkin had beef with Sullivan because he wouldn't put him on the ice when the opponent had an empty net.. sounds like Geno was upset he wasn't able to pad his stats.

Malkin literally missed out on another Conn Smythe (which he probably deserved anyway) because Sullivan wouldn't let him get one EN point in 4 rounds of playoff action. I mean, even Ovie gets EN time in the playoffs. It was quite bizarre to limit Malkin this way.

Reactions: Casanova

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
If someone like Gary Roberts had done this, everyone would be falling over themselves to fawn at his strong leadership.

I think anything that Malkin does tends to be interpreted poorly. It’s kind of like the Jagr treatment before he was rehabilitated into jolly older statesman.

Everyone knows that Kessel is a weird guy. He keeps getting traded. Some of it has to be Kessel.

It’s kind of like what is happening with Subban.
Yep; he's never really gotten the credit he deserved. Seeing him drop the gloves to fight Wheeler when he knew he'd get rocked really cemented my positive view towards him. He doesn't like losing and was the one who had to cover for Kessel's lack of backchecking.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The writer of this article is not a paragon of journalism, so I hope we get confirmation.

I wonder if Jack Johnson wasn't the defender with most TOI with Malkin/Kessel they would have had better results and less friction with each other and the coach.

What is the source of the "Crosby won't play with Kessel" statement?

There was no grand 'Crosby won't play with Kessel' statement, but do you think it's just a coincidence that they rarely played together?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He just never plays like he is giving it his all. The same criticisms you can use against kessel and his game can be used with malkin.

Well that's a big fat lie. Geno has his ups and downs, but when he plays like he should (which is more often than not) he plays his heart out.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I'm glad this article is out. Probably pretty therapeutic for Malkin. Hopefully we will see an energized Malkin, maybe even an Angry Geno, which freaking rocks!

Angry Geno can be his own worst enemy. He has little regard for opposing players, and is lucky not to be called for his shenanigans.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The difference there is that Gary Roberts would not have done something like this. He would not have talked to media about his personal issues with playing on a line with a particular teammate (I mean, not in a negative way).

I don't really understand why Malkin would want to talk about this to anyone other than his coach and his partner/wife. Just keep it buttoned up. Kessel is gone now, so he got what he wanted.

It's just hockey. There's no pity party for Malkin, who's getting paid multi-millions to play the game he loves. If he's not happy and doesn't want to spend winters in Pennsylvania (with several free road trips around the continent to stay in 5-star hotels), just quit and do something else.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Kessel has always been like this. When people pointed it out earlier in his career, his fanboys came unhinged. But even they now see it. Of course, any team that trades for him knows this too.

Last on the ice, first off in practice. Sulky and petulant when things don't go his way, one-dimensional. But can still put the puck in the net.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad