Malkin wanted out if Kessel returned

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
8739204D-ACC6-471A-8EAA-EDBA09F4E17B.jpeg
I don't understand how Kessel scoring a lot hurts the Penguins unless he just started giving like zero ****s. :laugh:

I mean not everyone can read the article. :laugh:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Like some people can't fathom the notion that Geno likes Phil on a personal level but recognizes they're not a good fit on the ice for too long if a time.

"I like you, but its either me or you on this team"

I can understand the sentiment, but its so strange...like Phil might be.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So, alot of flak being thrown towards Malkin in this thread, that he's a baby, etc. Yet no one even flinches at that Crosby refuses to play with Kessel on his line? So Crosby can set up such demands, but Malkin can't? Where's the logic behind that? What does it say about Kessel if both Crosby and Malkin refuse to play with him, because both feel he's a burden on their respective line?

And of course Kessel refuses to play on the 3rd line, he would be absolutely useless in such a role - and he knows it.

Reactions: Borlag and Matsun

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The difference there is that Gary Roberts would not have done something like this. He would not have talked to media about his personal issues with playing on a line with a particular teammate (I mean, not in a negative way).

I don't really understand why Malkin would want to talk about this to anyone other than his coach and his partner/wife. Just keep it buttoned up. Kessel is gone now, so he got what he wanted.

It's just hockey. There's no pity party for Malkin, who's getting paid multi-millions to play the game he loves. If he's not happy and doesn't want to spend winters in Pennsylvania (with several free road trips around the continent to stay in 5-star hotels), just quit and do something else.

Malkin never said anything specifically about Phil in the article. It’s just obvious the way things played out that Malkin and Kessel couldn’t work anymore, Sid wasn’t going to play with Kessel and Kessel refused to commit to a third line role. And given Malkin’s own struggles Kessel had to go. They’re still friends, it’s not like he threw Kessel under the bus.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That's not really news though. It's not like he was winning Selke trophies before this season.

But before his individual offense made up for it. Now he plays like a leach. The complacency that Rossi suggests Malkin noticed is dead on.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So, alot of flak being thrown towards Malkin in this thread, that he's a baby, etc. Yet no one even flinches at that Crosby refuses to play with Kessel on his line? So Crosby can set up such demands, but Malkin can't? Where's the logic behind that? What does it say about Kessel if both Crosby and Malkin refuse to play with him, because both feel he's a burden on their respective line?

And of course Kessel refuses to play on the 3rd line, he would be absolutely useless in such a role - and he knows it.

He was at his all time usefulness in Pittsburgh playing on a third line.

Reactions: Primary Assist

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Malkin never said anything specifically about Phil in the article. It’s just obvious the way things played out that Malkin and Kessel couldn’t work anymore, Sid wasn’t going to play with Kessel and Kessel refused to commit to a third line role. And given Malkin’s own struggles Kessel had to go. They’re still friends, it’s not like he threw Kessel under the bus.
Okay, thanks. I actually can't read the article (maybe because I'm in Japan?), so I was just going on what others in the thread got out of it.

By the way, how do we know that Crosby won't play with Kessel? What's the source of that?

Reactions: Oddbob

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Okay, thanks. I actually can't read the article (maybe because I'm in Japan?), so I was just going on what others in the thread got out of it.

By the way, how do we know that Crosby won't play with Kessel? What's the source of that?

No problem. I’m pretty sure Crosby and Kessel have not played consecutive full games on the same line since 2015. Crosby is also notorious for wanting speed/puck support/quick passes in his wingers, and coaches notoriously oblige him (for good reason) so it’s not hard to do the math.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This is the kind of stuff I don't care for. Unless a teammate or former teammate forces you to elaborate on the situation publicly, then it should be kept quiet. Don't even hint at it.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Yeah, especially since the article cites that Malkin had beef with Sullivan because he wouldn't put him on the ice when the opponent had an empty net.. sounds like Geno was upset he wasn't able to pad his stats.

It sounds to me like Malkin as a franchise player wants to be on the ice in critical situations.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The difference there is that Gary Roberts would not have done something like this. He would not have talked to media about his personal issues with playing on a line with a particular teammate (I mean, not in a negative way).

I don't really understand why Malkin would want to talk about this to anyone other than his coach and his partner/wife. Just keep it buttoned up. Kessel is gone now, so he got what he wanted.

It's just hockey. There's no pity party for Malkin, who's getting paid multi-millions to play the game he loves. If he's not happy and doesn't want to spend winters in Pennsylvania (with several free road trips around the continent to stay in 5-star hotels), just quit and do something else.

He didn't say it though, Malkin denied it but Rossi said that multiple sources confirmed it. Malkin didn't say in the interview that he's glad Kessel is gone, he wanted him out or anything like htat

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
He didn't say it though, Malkin denied it but Rossi said that multiple sources confirmed it. Malkin didn't say in the interview that he's glad Kessel is gone, he wanted him out or anything like htat

Exactly.

It’s just Rossi talking to his finger puppets again. No actual proof whatsoever, par for the course lol.

Reactions: Casanova

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
End of the day, nobody on the Pens currently has really been through more physical wear and tear that eats away ate you than Geno. Sid had the concussion and the misdiagnosed neck injury, Letang had a stroke, but Geno is always the knees, elbow, shoulder, things like that. Considering the way he plays, being handcuffed to the least physically involved winger in the NHL probably has an impact, too.

Reactions: sanscosm

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I read the article yesterday and while I have always loved Malkin now I feel sorry for him. Obviously on a professional level he has accomplished everything a hockey player can but on a personal level he seems sort of miserable.

I guess the happy go lucky fun guy I always thought he was was just a facade. Sad that he is only close with about four people in the organization that he has been a part of for 14 seasons. Also I feel badly for his wife, that can't be a good relationship.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I read the article yesterday and while I have always loved Malkin now I feel sorry for him. Obviously on a professional level he has accomplished everything a hockey player can but on a personal level he seems sort of miserable.

I guess the happy go lucky fun guy I always thought he was was just a facade. Sad that he is only close with about four people in the organization that he has been a part of for 14 seasons. Also I feel badly for his wife, that can't be a good relationship.
Last year was an exception. It was combination of things that led to his feelings last year, normally he's as happy-go-lucky as ever.

Also, his wife is a model and TV persona in Russia. She can't really do her job from Pittsburgh.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Last year was an exception. It was combination of things that led to his feelings last year, normally he's as happy-go-lucky as ever.

Also, his wife is a model and TV persona in Russia. She can't really do her job from Pittsburgh.

Rossi seems to indicate his loneliness goes back a lot farther than last season and when his wife is in the States she is in Florida.

Got to be rough for him.

I am guilty of thinking these pro athletes have the perfect lives, reading all these articles the last few years my thinking really needs to be adjusted.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Kessel has proven that he's a guy who has a shelf life in any organization or team. He can score points and help your team but eventually things are gonna go south. Penguins squeezed as much value out of him as they could. At first I thought it was bad to move on from him when 87 and 71 were still in their primes and Pit still had a stanley cup contending team but it was time to move on. Maybe Galchenyuk can revive his career in Berg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad